PDA

View Full Version : Abergavenny 1861

elyam
02-01-2008, 2:20 PM
I am looking for Daniel O'Connell aged 24, I know he married on the 21st April 1861 at the chapel of Our Lady and St Michael, where he gave his occupation as mason. His wife Helen Hagerty gives her age as 22 and her father Timothy Hagerty is deceased. Daniel's place of birth is Flint and Helen's should be Cork, Ireland. Even finding Helen has proved impossible so far.
The couple were both still in Abergavenny in 1862 when their son Peter is born but I have been unable to locate them on the census another piece of information which may help or hinder the marriage certificate is the first document where the name O'Connell is used before that the family were Connell. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Geoffers
02-01-2008, 5:35 PM
The 1861 census has
RG9/4001 f83 p14
6, Cross Street, Bedwelty
Daniel CONNELL, lodger, unm, 23, labourer in iron works, bn Ireland
He was lodging with and irish family and other Irish workers, whose surnames are: McCARTHY, CASHMAN, QUINN. Neighbouring houses include other Irish workers, KENEDY, KEEFE, WATERS, SUMMERS, JAYES, BRIAN - any of them match up with witnesses names and so hint that this might be correct?

I realise that the birthplace doesn't match - what source have you got for his birthplace?

elyam
03-01-2008, 8:20 AM
Hi, and thank you for your time. Daniel and his siblings throughout their lives put Flint in as their birth place, Daniel was still doing it in 1901 and I expect to see it in 1911 too. The witness names on the marriage cert are John Flannagan and Mary Connolly.

giveover
03-01-2008, 2:39 PM
Hi,

On Free BMD, June Quarter 1861, Abergavenny, Hereford Monmouthshire

Two of names listed Daniel O Connell (No ' )
Helen Hagerty

------------------------------------

On 1861 Wales census , Abergavenny, RG9 piece 3993 folio 114 page 13

There is Ellen Hegartey 23 Housekeeper Ireland
Margaret Hegartey 26 Housekeeper Ireland

Could be sisters as Ellen's mother's name was Margaret.

Best wishes
Giveover

elyam
04-01-2008, 9:20 AM
Thank you I think you may have found her she seems to have been put as either Ellen or Helen throughout her life. This family changed their names constantly right up to modern times which makes buying certificates a nightmare!!

All the best