PDA

View Full Version : Overseas birth look up

louise ydw i
30-11-2007, 10:49 AM
|help|
I was wondering if someone could do a look up for me, of a Florence Ruby Cox born 1875 in Marseille, France On the 1891 and 1901 census it says she was a british subject. unfortunately she was married by then so I dont have her parents names or any clue as to why she was born in Marseille.

Geoffers
30-11-2007, 12:13 PM
I cannot locate any consular, army or marine births which match this, I looked under Florence Ruby COX and Ruby Florence COX.

Do you have anyway of tracing her marriage - do you know her married name? Something which would give us a clue to finding her marriage certificate which hopefully might include her dad's name.

louise ydw i
30-11-2007, 6:26 PM
Thanks for having a look - I know Florence married in bristol in 1893 to Geroge Butcher. Also, she married again in cardiff in 1920, but I've yet to get a copy of that marriage certificate. If only I had all the time in world.....

louise ydw i
09-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Have finally got a copy of Florence's marriage certificate!

UNFORTUNATELY, it does not say her father's name.

She married George Arthur Butcher - occupation seaman (maybe thats a clue as to her passage to Bristol) married Bristol May 1893. Both aged 19.

Someone was kind enough to locate the address' given for both of them at the time of marriage, in the 1891 census but neither were there at the time.

I suppose I should look for records of her on passenger list but I've never done that before and have absolutely no idea where to look. I've been fortunate that most of my research has been uk.

Where do I begin?

Geoffers
10-01-2008, 8:02 AM
Have finally got a copy of Florence's marriage certificate!
UNFORTUNATELY, it does not say her father's name.

Illegitimacy is the most common reason for a father's name to be missing from a marriage certificate.

Can you locate her on the 1881 census?

In 1891 was she living with any relatives? If so, whom , where were hey born and what was the occupation of any related adults?

I suppose I should look for records of her on passenger list

Unfortunately passenger lists were not required for travel within Europe.

Is there any record of a baptism on the IGI?

SBSFamilyhistory
10-01-2008, 9:18 AM
I cannot locate any consular, army or marine births which match this, I looked under Florence Ruby COX and Ruby Florence COX.

Not all people listed as British Subjects born abroad were there because of government related occupations, consular/sevices. I have two distant relations whose family were over in France because of industrial employment.

Do you know when they came back to the UK?

louise ydw i
10-01-2008, 9:54 PM
Can you locate her on the 1881 census?
In 1891 was she living with any relatives? If so, whom , where were hey born and what was the occupation of any related adults?

1901 census is the only one I've found her in. Married with children, no other Cox's.

Is there any record of a baptism on the IGI? Havent found a Florence Ruby Cox on the IGI either

Does this mean I've reached a dead end?

louise ydw i
10-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Do you know when they came back to the UK?

She's not on the 1891 census but she married in 1893 in Bristol so atleast I have a small time frame to work on I suppose

Geoffers
10-01-2008, 11:12 PM
She's not on the 1891 census but she married in 1893 in Bristol so atleast I have a small time frame to work on I suppose

Ah right, I was going on your first message when you said that you had her in the 1891 census - I was hoping that there may be spme earlier trail showing her. This will prove more difficult.........

From her marriage certificate - who were the witnesses?

Was her marriage by banns/licence?

Any baptism on the IGI?

In the 1901 census have you tried a search for any COX entries born France born 1870-1890?

Is there/was there an Anglican Church in Marseille, where she may have been baptised?

Geoffers
10-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Is there/was there an Anglican Church in Marseille, where she may have been baptised?

To answer one of my own questions - yes there is see this link (http://perso.numericable.fr/~ateleman/anglican-marseille/)
It's been there since 1850 - do they have any records of baptism going back to then???

maesglas/ssclub
13-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi Louise ydw i
The lady Florence ruby Cox
Is my grandmother, her surname is cox but the french spelling of the name, the correct spelling is "Couxe" I know this to be correct because when she later married Georges Pernarowski in Cardiff 1925, on the certificate it is written "father name Theadore Couxe wine merchant" but I am the same as you with regards to her first husband George Arthur Butcher of whom I have yet to find anything after 1901 census
Robert Purnell.

maesglas/ssclub
16-05-2009, 10:08 AM
I put married Cardiff 1925 it should have been 1920.
Robert.

pottoka
17-05-2009, 11:19 PM
The BMD for the département of the Bouches du Rhône are on-line here: http://www.archives13.fr/dorisuec/jsp/system/win_main.jsp

I have just looked up Miss Cox/Couxe in the ten-year tables for births in Marseilles, but I can see no trace of her. Maybe she was born in a suburb or a village near Marseilles and gave the name of the biggest town as her birth place as it was more likely to have been heard of. The problem with finding French records is that you have to know exactly where a person was born, married or died.

maesglas/ssclub
28-05-2009, 1:57 PM
I have e mailed the church in Marseille but have had no reply as yet.
Robert.