PDA

View Full Version : Joseph NAISH and sister Jane NAISH

busyglen
02-12-2004, 7:10 PM
It's time for me to make my annual plea in the hopes something new has turned up and someone can help me please.

I am trying to find my gt. grandfathers place of birth and previously thought it was Birch Hill, Berks. as this is listed on the 1901 Census in Chelsea. However, I have now found his sister Jane on the 1871 Census in Chelsea as a visitor to another household and her place of birth is shown as Beech Hill, Berks. For some reason I felt it was Birch Hill, but as nothing has turned up, I must now look to Beech Hill. Previously, I didn't know that he had a sister, and without knowing where he was born, it has been difficult to say the least. I have been unable to trace his marriage to Ann Vigor either. She was born in Sussex and I have her line but no marriage.

So....I am looking for Joseph NAISH in Beech Hill Berks. He is shown as being 42 on the 1881 Census living in Chelsea, but on 1901 he is shown as 67 which could be a typo. I have the feeling that he may have been born around 1837 so not registered, but can't confirm it.

Jane is shown as 40 on the 1871 Chelsea Census, but 57 on the 1891!! So, she is obviously older than Joseph. Does anyone have access to 1841 Census for Beech Hill, Berks area, as this may help find his parents if they were still there? I should be SO grateful for some help with this, as I keep going round in circles.

Thanks in anticipation.

Just had a thought, he was transcribed as Nash on the 1891 so could appear as this on earlier Census.

Glenys.

busyglen
11-05-2005, 6:11 PM
Thought I would add an update in case anyone is interested.

I have received a lot of information direct from someone else connected to this line, and in fact Joseph was born in Stratfield Saye, Hampshire. No wonder I couldn't find it in Berks.!!

Glenys

mary elms
13-05-2005, 5:41 PM
Hello again Glenys,

Did any of your early 19th century Naish family slope off to New Zealand by any chance?

My gg Grandfather was William George Naish 1838-1871 lived and married in New Zealand - Ist recorded there in the 1860s? birthplace unknown?

Family lore says he was of Irish descent but the NZ branch reckon he haled from England. So far a dead end as NZ at this time is frontier territory - no church records etc.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask .......

Mary.

Geoffers
13-05-2005, 5:53 PM
I have received a lot of information direct from someone else connected to this line, and in fact Joseph was born in Stratfield Saye, Hampshire. No wonder I couldn't find it in Berks.!!Glenys
And of course, Stratfield Saye is just a hop, skip and a jump from Beech Hill. It could well be that your chap was born in one place, but moved young and grew up in t'other - which then thought was where he was born. At least it's all roughly the same area.

Geoffers

busyglen
13-05-2005, 6:02 PM
Hello Mary

As far as I am aware, none of my `lot' removed to NZ, although I have only just `found' Joseph and his siblings, plus parents, due to someone spotting my appeal.
There wasn't a William I'm afraid, but will keep a look out for one of that period as it's a name that I am likely to spot! :)

Glenys

busyglen
13-05-2005, 6:18 PM
Thanks Geoffers.

I've been looking at maps, and noted that Beech Hill wasn't far away. The Civil Registrations for Berkshire (1837) stated that a few of the places were actually in Hampshire or Oxford.

Someone sent me a piece the 1851 Berkshire Census last year which included a Naish (now know it to be a brother of Joseph) and the parish is Stratfield Saye. Tything of Beech Hill. So both are correct. I now have the births of Joseph and his siblings and they all say Stratfield Saye, which was obviously the Parish. What I couldn't understand was why I couldn't find Joseph in the 1851 Berks.

If only I had thought to look at Hampshire, although I had found Beech Hill, and that looked to be in Berks. which is where Joseph said he was born. |banghead|

I now have Joseph in Stratfield Turgis in the 1861 Hants. so probably he was there with his uncle in 1851. I'm getting somewhere at last.

I will have to look at the Reg.Districts more thoroughly in future.....one learns all the time. :)

Glenys

mary elms
13-05-2005, 6:30 PM
Thanks Glenys, it was always a long shot.

Mary.

busyglen
13-05-2005, 6:40 PM
They are often the ones that pay off. ;)

Good luck,

Glenys

Harry
14-05-2005, 1:31 PM
Glenys,

Do you have the 1861 census data ??.

Harry

Harry
14-05-2005, 1:33 PM
Sorry - missed a bit - I have Joseph in Beech Hill in 1861 with his mother father and a number of siblings - not Stratfield Turgis.

Harry

busyglen
14-05-2005, 2:03 PM
Sorry - missed a bit - I have Joseph in Beech Hill in 1861 with his mother father and a number of siblings - not Stratfield Turgis.

Harry

Oh!!!!!!!That's odd. I wonder what I have got then??

I have: Stratfield Turgis RG9/710
Wheelers Farm.
KEEP, John head, mar. 55, Butcher, Farmer, b. Stratfield Saye, Hants
KEEP, Ann Keep, wife, Mar, 50, b. Pamber, Hants
NASH, Joseph, Neph. U, 25, Butcher, b. Beech Hill, Berks.
COOPER, Thos. Neph. U. 16, Butcher, b. Geldston, Norfolk.

KEEP is the name of Joseph's mother, so I assumed he is lodging with his uncle. I know it says NASH and not NAISH, but quite often it was mistranscribed.

I have John NAISH & Elizabeth his parents, living in Westpall, Hartley, on the 1861 also.

I would be interested to know what you have found Harry if this differs from mine.

Glenys

Harry
16-05-2005, 8:39 AM
Glenys,

Sorry - my mistake, this Joseph is b 1847 Beech Hill son of Charles b 1822 Beech Hill.

Harry

busyglen
16-05-2005, 10:41 AM
No problems Harry. I have been confused by that entry as well, but grateful to you for taking the time to look for me. Actually I had a copy of the same family in 1851, but didn't know if it tied in with my Joseph as the age was way out.

I have been looking at my 1881 CDs over the weekend and found the same family, although young Joseph had flown the nest by that time. Charles is actually a brother of my Joseph, so I am gradually piecing things together at last.

I now have copies of the 1861 Census entries, which were sent today, by the distant rellie who contacted me, but thank you again for your efforts, I really appreciated it.

Glenys