PDA

View Full Version : OFFER

kkymmy
22-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Hi Everyone,
My uncle started researching our family history but sadly died earlier this year, leaving our family tree hanging around 1792 and I'm not sure what to do to pick up the pieces.

The name I'm particularly interested in is OFFER and the earliest records show residence in Wiltshire, England. The earliest record I have is John OFFER married to a SARAH (maiden name unknown) with one son, also called John.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kirsty

Sue Mackay
22-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi again Kirsty

I have put three possible John OFFER marriages on your thread at
http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23638
but it would be better to continue it here.

kkymmy
22-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks Sue,
out of the three possibilities you have mentioned, the one that is most likely is 1811 as John wasn't born until 1792, and their only son wasn't born until 1825 so the dates certainly fit.

Is there any way of determining this for sure?

Kirsty

Geoffers
22-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Does your uncle's work contain any census returns? If so, do any of them show any relatives living with John - in particular either parent?

Sue Mackay
22-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Ah, I assume from what you say that the last definite John OFFER you have is the one born in Compton Bassett who married Diana DERHAM in 1847 and then Mary Elizabeth Bradfield in 1873?

He appears on the 1841 census for Compton Bassett with sister Mary Ann and parents John and Sarah, but although all of them have a Y for Born in County, on the 1851 census John Senior is shown as being born in Compton Bassett but Sarah is shown as being born in Bath, Somerset. It is therefore quite likely that the marriage took place in Somerset. At first I thought I had found it on the IGI, but it was just a 'member submitted' entry for a marriage of John OFFER to Mrs John OFFER in St.James Bath ca 1795. You will have to start looking at the parish registers or joining one of the local family history societies.

In the 1861 census John Senior is 69 and Sarah 61, implying that John was born a tad earlier. His death was registered in Calne Sep qtr 1864 vol 5a page 40, so his death certificate might tell you more reliably how old he was.

Sarah's death was registered June qtr 1878 and she was aged 78
Calne vol 5a page 49
Her death certificate might tell you her maiden name.

In 1871 she was living in the Alms Houses in Compton Bassett and her place of birth given as Bath Ford, Somerset

kkymmy
22-11-2007, 1:05 PM
thats really helpful Sue, thankyou