PDA

View Full Version : Nicholls Kidderminster

jackie charman
01-12-2004, 7:35 PM
Having a bit of trouble locating William Nicholls (or Nickolls)and family. According to the 1871 census he was then living in Aston, Warks with wife Mary and a couple of children. Age 30 - so born 1840/41 in Kidderminster. I know from his wedding certificate that he'd been married before and his father was also William. In 1881 he's missing from the family home, and in 1891 Mary is a widow. Has anyone seen him on a previous census, or know of his parents and siblings?

Help would be apreciated.

Thank you
Jackie

Lottie
02-12-2004, 4:09 AM
Jackie

There are 2 possiblities for William Nicholls in Kidderminster in 1851 Census 1 7yrs and one 6 yrs - can you advise if his father's occupation was listed on the Marriage Cert, then I can send the extracts and also hopefully locate William in the 1861 Census ( no promises )

Lottie

jackie charman
02-12-2004, 7:02 PM
Jackie

There are 2 possiblities for William Nicholls in Kidderminster in 1851 Census 1 7yrs and one 6 yrs - can you advise if his father's occupation was listed on the Marriage Cert, then I can send the extracts and also hopefully locate William in the 1861 Census ( no promises )

Lottie

Lottie,

Thank you for replying.

His father, William, was marked down as a labourer - not much help there! I think if the marriage cert and the 1871 census were correct, then Wm jnr would have been 9-11 in 1851. Everything I've seen points to the surname as being Nickolls until after 1871, when the family started to use Nicholls.

There's every possibility that he wasn't even in Kidderminster in 1851, but I've got to start somewhere.

If you think you've got a possibility for me I would be very grateful. I don't suppose you'd need a look-up in sussex census 1841/61 in return would you? Those were the ones I had to get to research my fathers family (Charman).

Jackie

Lottie
02-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Jackie

Found below in 1851 Transcript for Warwickshire

Head: NICHOLLS, William Neighbors 283391
Name Relationship Mar Age Sex Occupation Birthplace
William NICHOLLS Head M 33 M Grinder Of Hinges Kidderminster-Worcestersh
Betsey NICHOLLS Wife M 32 F Press Works Umbrella Wires Liverpool-Lancashire
William NICHOLLS Son - 9 M Day Scholar Birmingham-Warwicksh
Betsey NICHOLLS Daur - 1 F --- Birmingham-Warwicksh
Address: Coleman St 7 Court 2 House, ---
Census Place: Aston Aston, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2061 Folio: 327 Page: 6 FHL Film: 0087318

far better possiblity than either of WOR ones, I located.
Unfortunately I do not have the 1861 Census, for Warwickshire.

hth

Your offer for Sussex, greatly appreciated - my husband's family come from Lewes/ Brighton/Hove, will send some details off list, thank you. Must jopin the Sussex Forum!!:)

Lottie

jackie charman
02-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Thanks for that, I already had this possibility marked down as the most likely. Then I saw on the 1871 census that Wm jnr was claiming to be born in Kidderminster, where in the 1851 it was his dad. I'm hoping the Solstice Pixies will bring me an 1841 Warks census, not that that will help if wm was born in worcs or after 1841!
Please feel free with the Sussex lookups. ALthough be gentle with me, I've already ploughed through Brighton for the few Charmans there, and I haven't forgotten how large that area is!

Jackie

Lottie
02-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks for that, I already had this possibility marked down as the most likely. Then I saw on the 1871 census that Wm jnr was claiming to be born in Kidderminster, where in the 1851 it was his dad. I'm hoping the Solstice Pixies will bring me an 1841 Warks census, not that that will help if wm was born in worcs or after 1841!
Please feel free with the Sussex lookups. ALthough be gentle with me, I've already ploughed through Brighton for the few Charmans there, and I haven't forgotten how large that area is!

Jackie
Have 1841 for Worcestershire on order - gather it is in the pipeline!! So when you hear it has been released, send me a reminder :)

Lottie