PDA

View Full Version : GLAM FHS

Ladkyis
01-12-2004, 4:35 PM
Am I allowed to ask why Glam FHS are refusing members? is it because it is so near to the end of the year - there can't be any other reason can there?
:eek:
Ann

Sue Mackay
01-12-2004, 5:48 PM
The freeze is only on until January I think. I am no longer membership secretary, or indeed on the committee (15 years was enough!) but the main reason as I understand it is to allow the present membership secretary, who has a paid job as well, to get a new system in force. The Society has become a victim of its own success and is now liable for VAT. Any member renewing before January 31 is exempt from VAT for 2005, so the floodgates are about to open. After January 1 there will be a new price structure and new members will again be welcome. I don't think any local FHS meetings would turn anyone away in the meantime.

Ladkyis
01-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Wow, I had never thought of membership fees being liable for VAT - I wonder if our treasurer has thought of this, he must have mustn't he? Oh poot! now I'll have to email him and ask him cos I won't sleep tonight otherwise.
Ann :eek:

Sue Mackay
02-12-2004, 10:47 PM
Sara
This was put on the GFHS mailing list today:
'As you will be aware, new membership applications were suspended whilst the Society waited for a response from the VAT man; to date, we have not had a reply and it could be that the situation will remain unresolved beyond our restart date of January 1st 2005. I have therefore decided to accept new membership applications from Monday December 6th 2004. If you know of anyone who is waiting for our membership books to re-open, perhaps you could let them know.
New applications will be available via FFHS & Parish Chest (http://www.parishchest.com/Glamorgan_FHS__LID166) as well as by post.'
So no excuse now!!