PDA

View Full Version : Indian location

nina
19-11-2007, 2:39 PM
Can anyone out there help. I have found a military record on ancestry which shows John Mathers being part of the 4th Btn W Yorks Regiment, service no 3914. He enlisted 1892. On his service record he was awarded a medal for gallantry in the field @ what looks like Kaku Darra Pass 1898. Does anyone have any knowledge where I can find out more about or even if this is the correct name. The record itself is not very good to read in parts and I may have read it wrongly. I have done a google search but to no avail.

Thanks
Nina

Geoffers
19-11-2007, 3:52 PM
I believe there was an uprising on the Indian Frontier in 1898 - could the name be 'Ghuzdarra' Pass? What medal did he recieve?

Browsing the London Gazette I may have found something relating to "Kahu or Durbi Khel Pass"

I cannot find anything specifically for John Mathers, but the Yorkshire Regt appears to have taken part in a campaign somewhere on the Indian Frontier from November 1897 to January 1898 and this may be where you chap won his medal.

The London Gazette search engine is here:
http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/AdvancedSearch.aspx?GeoType=London

In the dates, enter 5th April 1898.
Page Number 2171

Then hit search. You'll be taken to the first page of that gazette, the report carries on over several pages. I suggest saving each page to read later,

This is the best match I can locate at the moment.

neil1821
19-11-2007, 6:40 PM
I think I can clarify a little bit. You have the wrong regiment (easily done)
There weren't too many gallantry medals open to rankers in 1898 so soon found him.

3914 L-Cpl John Mathers, 2nd Btn Princess of Wales Own Yorkshire Regt (Green Howards in other words). He won the DCM for the Tirah campaign 1897/98, but I don't have any further details.

Neil

nina
20-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks to you both.

I think Kahu could easily be the word I have wrongly read. I will have a look at the Gazette.

with regards to his award it was for Distinguished Conduct in the Field - he apparently rescued a wounded comrade during battle.

Thanks for the info on the Regiment Neil. I was going off his enlistment sheet on ancestry which stated 4th Btn Yorkshire Regiment. I suppose by the time he had undergone training etc he could have been transferred to another

Many thanks
Nina

nina
22-11-2007, 1:50 PM
Hi Neil

Please can you tell me where you found this info about his award. I have tried the London Gazette but can't find a mention of his award there, nor can I see it on national Archives.

Thanks
Nina