PDA

View Full Version : New posts/Today's posts

Jan1954
12-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Just out of idle curiosity...

When I access this site at my home pc (on which I registered), the bar at the top has "New Posts".

When I access via the pc at work, this is then called "Today's Posts".

Does this mean that I'm missing out on the posts that are posted between when I say goodnight to my home pc (well before midnight |snore|) and midnight which, when I access my work pc, shows the posts from midnight?

(If you see what I mean...) :confused:

PS I don't log off of the site

MarkJ
12-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Doesn't todays posts show if you are not logged in - and new posts if you are?

Mark (who could be wrong...)

Jan1954
12-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Hi Mark,

I should have clarified the "logging in" bit.

At home, I click on the B-T icon in my favourites and I'm in there, ready to go.

At work, I have to log in with my user name and password.

Does that help?

Jan

aka

Technophobe of Hertfordshire (I can drive it, but don't ask me to put fuel in!)

MarkJ
12-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Hmm... I log on by putting my user name and password in (rather than having them saved - stops people logging in if using my machines), but I only see the new posts thing. I can see the Todays posts only if I don't log on - strange isn't it! I shall have to do some experiments :)

Mark

Edit: Just logged off - Todays Posts appears. Logged back on, New Posts replaces it.

Jan1954
12-11-2007, 10:56 PM
I shall have to do some experiments :)

Mark

Aaaargh!!!!

That thought scares the life out of me! :eek:

Night, night!

Mutley
12-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Hmm... I log on by putting my user name and password in (rather than having them saved), but I only see the new posts thing. I can see the Todays posts only if I don't log on - strange isn't it! I shall have to do some experiments :)

Mark

Edit: Just logged off - Todays Posts appears. Logged back on, New Posts replaces it.

I'm same as you Mark but I can see Today's Posts if I click on the Quick Links (when logged in).

I cannot understand the "not logging off bit"?:confused: Does that mean you are always showing as online and don't go to bed........... but if I don't respond to a thread or do anything it logs me off anyway, (double :confused:)

Mutley
12-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Just to clarify,
does not logging off mean that you just click the little cross in the box at the top right of the window and close it?
Will I still be here or will I be gone till tomorrow?

Neil Wilson
12-11-2007, 11:16 PM
I was under the impression that Today's Posts only showed when you where not logged in. Jan when you log in at work, does the blue menu bar change to the same one as when you are at home?

MarkJ
12-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Not sure Mutley. Some folks like to remain logged on (there *is* a way to avoid getting logged off if you are sneaky though ;) ), but like you, I get logged out if I leave the PC for a while e.g if I am out doing the Dads Taxi run or something.
If you kill the window with the little x, you would still be logged on I suspect, but the B-G server would log you out due to inactivity after a while.

Mark

Mutley
12-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Some folks like to remain logged on (there *is* a way to avoid getting logged off if you are sneaky though ;)

I know the poor old Mut has a job to keep up, little legs don't go that quick, but...
Jan
How did you manage 'sneaky' so soon? At least 'sneaky' is at home and not at work;)

ChristineR
13-11-2007, 12:39 AM
I am always logged in, until I clear all my cookies. Because then BG does not recognise me until I log in again and they put a fresh cookie in.

Todays Posts for when not logged in, New Posts for when you are. It has been that way from the start.

I like the nifty new bit that Bo Beep has put in the quick links so you can get to the 'todays posts' page without logging out. (Apologies to Rod if he did that and I hadn't noticed)

ChristineR :)

MarkJ
13-11-2007, 12:50 AM
I like the nifty new bit that Bo Beep has put in the quick links so you can get to the 'todays posts' page without logging out. (Apologies to Rod if he did that and I hadn't noticed)

ChristineR :)

Oooh! So you can! Never actually click the Quick Links thing myself so I hadn't noticed.
Funny how we all use the forum interface in different ways isn't it? I know we had a chat about that a while ago on the forum - so I know we all do things our own little way.

Mark

MarkJ
13-11-2007, 12:51 AM
I cannot claim any credit as I think that bit came with the upgrade.

Claim it! Makes you look like a techie ;)

Marky ;)

PS - You are on late tonight Bo Peep!

ChristineR
13-11-2007, 12:53 AM
I cannot claim any credit as I think that bit came with the upgrade.

:D well, it is great - but now the New Posts no longer vanish after about 20 minutes, I do not have as much need for Todays Posts, but handy if I have to rush off without having time to read all of them before I go to work.

C:)

MarkJ
13-11-2007, 1:06 AM
Yes, I am a bit late, especially as I have an early start tomorrow and then, after seeing to the cows, etc., I am off to the CRO to start transcribing the Helston baptisms.

Hopefully you don't visit your cows on a quad bike like the plonker in the field behind my house at 4am calling out and revving the damn bike up! He is currently my most disliked person of the month! Still - I appreciate he has a job to do, but it is a little frustrating to be woken at 4am - an hour or two at most after I went to bed.

Mark - Looking forward to the cows moving to the next field in a few days :)

ET in the USA
13-11-2007, 1:20 AM
I never log off by clicking the <log out> spot on the blue bar.
When I'm done, I just click the red X and if it's going to be a long break (like all night) I put the computer into sleep mode. In the morning, I click the Internet Explorer icon and since I have Vista, my 4 home tabs pop up. If I click on the B-G Forum tab, I see the home page (the one listing all the forums) and click on <New Posts>.

Does this mean that I look like I'm here 24/7 if someone looks at the "Who's online" section ? I can't tell because if I'm online to look, it shows I'm online. DUH. Sort of like "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there, does it make a sound?"

BTW, I'm going out to dinner now, so 'puter baby will be asleep for the next couple of hours... if case anyone is out there and cares to look at Who's on line.

MarkJ
13-11-2007, 1:44 AM
You are still showing as Online here at 01.42 am GMT - and your post was timed at 01.20am GMT. From memory, Bo Peep set the logout time to 30 minutes, so, if I am still here, I shall check around 02.00am

Mark

Edit: 02.34am GMT - still logged on.

v.wells
13-11-2007, 2:52 AM
I have it bookmarked and I either hit the red X or switch sites. I always clear my cookies each night. I don't log out as I will never remember my password! I have never seen "Today's posts" only "New Posts". Of course with the time change in England it's today but in Canada its yesterday nearly!

Vanessa

ET in the USA
13-11-2007, 4:24 AM
Thanks Mark. Not sure I ever 'time out'. If I did, wouldn't I have to log on again with my password ??
My "Welcome ET in the USA" message says I last visited at 5:20 PM (1:20 AM GMT as you said). It is now 8:17 PM (or 4:17 AM GMT), so it seems I have been logged on for 3 hours.

Is this a problem ? Am I leaving myself vulnerable to attack of some kind, or perhaps just misleading someone who might think I'm going to reply any minute [although I can't think who that might be. Not sure anyone cares whether I'm really here or not since I'm 8 hours behind you.]

ChristineR
13-11-2007, 5:01 AM
Gee, it must look like I live here then :D since I check the forum quite a few times most days, and never log out.

ChristineR
|jumphappy

Jan1954
13-11-2007, 7:57 AM
Just logged off - Todays Posts appears. Logged back on, New Posts replaces it.

Mornin' Mark.

Have just done this (at work) and the same thing happened to me. So... if I log on, then click the X and then log on again, it changes from Today's Posts to New Posts. Spooky...

Thanks all,

Jan

LynA
13-11-2007, 8:48 AM
I do not log in and out, but B-G Forums seems to know if I'm watching or not. When clicked on the forum in favourites this morning it said:"Welcome LynA. You last visited: Yesterday at 4:10 PM"
It must have missed me! |biggrin|

Lynda :)

ChristineR
13-11-2007, 9:02 AM
There is a 'cookie' in your computer - when you go to BG, if you are already logged in then your computer communicates with BG to tell them you are visiting. If you are not logged in, you get hello Guest and the invitation to log in, because BG does not know you.

All web sites where you have to log in to participate have these cookies on your computer.

Christine

Ken Boyce
13-11-2007, 4:31 PM
If you do not log out next time you go to B-G B-G's server will search for a cookie on your computer which allows you back in to where you were when the cookie was last deposited on your computer which could be months or years ago These cookies are set to last for yrs. A new cookie is only left if the old one has been deleteed from the local computer. The last visit details are likely added to the cookie each time you visit

The difference between being logged in and not is that non-logged ins are guests and guests have no privileges do not have access to all secctions of the site and cannot post or repeply to posts

This is common prictice for many sites

Neil Wilson
13-11-2007, 7:25 PM
I have it bookmarked and I either hit the red X or switch sites. I always clear my cookies each night. I don't log out as I will never remember my password! I have never seen "Today's posts" only "New Posts". Of course with the time change in England it's today but in Canada its yesterday nearly!

Vanessa
Hi Vanessa
You can always see the day's posts by using the Quick Links and selecting it from there. But seeing you are like me, New Posts is the order of the day.

Jan1954
13-11-2007, 8:13 PM
There is a 'cookie' in your computer - when you go to BG, if you are already logged in then your computer communicates with BG to tell them you are visiting. If you are not logged in, you get hello Guest and the invitation to log in, because BG does not know you.

All web sites where you have to log in to participate have these cookies on your computer.

Christine

And I thought cookies were American biscuits...

As I said, I just drive the thing - never have understood about cookies...|computer|

MarkJ
13-11-2007, 8:29 PM
We have cookies in the UK too - but they are a specific type of biscuit, rather than being a generic term for biscuits in general like the USA version.

Mark (who likes the Maryland Cookies with choc chips AND hazelnuts!)

Neil Wilson
13-11-2007, 8:53 PM
We have cookies in the UK too - but they are a specific type of biscuit, rather than being a generic term for biscuits in general like the USA version.

Mark (who likes the Maryland Cookies with choc chips AND hazelnuts!)
Mark - You need to try ASDA's Extra Special Double Chocolate Cookies.

MarkJ
13-11-2007, 9:00 PM
I shall do that Neil!
Thanks for the tip!
Mark