PDA

View Full Version : BRAGG

cornish mist
17-01-2005, 10:48 AM
hello. i have just joined B-G this morning so i am still very unsure of my way around. My family name is Bragg and i can trace my line through cornwall back to st merryn in the early 1700's. please can you tell me what sort of information you keep or do you need a more specific request. \i am very keen to look up Ann Bragg who with her small children were sent back to st merryn from st stephens in brannel when her husband william died in 1786. i need to prove this and find any other info connected to it. i know online it is mentioned in the quarter sessions so i may have to go to truro to see if any more info is included on the original document. any help would be greatfully recieved. many thanks - chris braddon

sally
17-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Hi Chris

When you say you found Ann in the quarter sessions - online - did you get this info from A2A?

I found info on this site for an ancestor & the document was kept at Kendal RO. I contacted them with the info given on the A2A site & they e-mailed me back telling me how to go about ordering a copy of the document & what it would cost. (about 4GBP I think).

If it was from A2A, go back to the page & you will see a link to Cornwell RO which will give you their e-mail address - cheaper than travelling to Truro :)

Sally

sally
17-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Ok Chris just seen where you are based :o & perhaps not cheaper but certainly less hassle.

Sally

Scottie
17-01-2005, 1:47 PM
Dear Chris,
I am intrigued by your question as I do not have this lady and her children. Was she by any chance the wife of the William Bragg born 2 Apr 1720 in St Merryn and the son of John Bragg and Ann Mably married 30 Dec 1710 in St Merryn? Could you let me know where she married as it does not appear to be St Merryn. If she was sent back to St Merryn it must be because her husband was from there and this William seems to be the only likely candidate.

Scottie
17-01-2005, 2:06 PM
greetings again Chris,
I have just found a William Bragg born 1782 in St Stephen in Brannel and christened 25 dec 1782 in St Merryn to an Esther Bragg. He died at Trethias Cottages, St Merryn in Jan 1854. Is he part of your family too?

cornish mist
26-03-2005, 9:02 PM
hello scottie and sally. many apologies for not replying to you both. lots of family illness throughout the winter with my in- laws. All computer workings have had to cease for a while. i will reply to you both properly very soon. kind regards - chris.

cornish mist
23-04-2005, 11:56 PM
hello,
at last i can reply properly. sorry for delay. ann bone married william bragg in st stephen in brannel parish church 26.12.1774. now i have a william bragg born 2.4.1719/20 at st merryn who moved s.s.i.b. and married mary trethewey. mary bragg dies in 1767 and i think this was williams mary.
i then find in the quarter sessions from a2a online that ann bragg the widow of william bragg along with her three children have to go back to st merryn to be cared for in 1786 which is the same year i have in my records that william dies. i think ann may have been williams second wife and when he died she was sent back to his home parish to be cared for. doesthis make sense. i would love to prove this link.
i have not got any info on william bragg son of esther born 1782. please can you tell me where this info came from soi can do more research. this william may be the one i am looking for. all the esters on my chart are the wrong age to have a son in 1782.
many thanks,
chris

Scottie
24-04-2005, 11:00 AM
i have not got any info on william bragg son of esther born 1782. please can you tell me where this info came from soi can do more research. this william may be the one i am looking for. all the esters on my chart are the wrong age to have a son in 1782.
many thanks,
chris[/QUOTE]
Yes Chris he was born in St Merryn, the base child of Esther Bragg and christened there on 25 dec 1782 but he died in St Merryn at Trethias Cottage and was buried in St Merryn aged 72 on the 12 Jan 1854. As far as I know he was unmarried. |banghead|

Scottie
24-04-2005, 11:14 AM
["ann bone married william bragg in st stephen in brannel parish church 26.12.1774. now i have a william bragg born 2.4.1719/20 at st merryn who moved s.s.i.b. and married mary trethewey. mary bragg dies in 1767 and i think this was williams mary.
i then find in the quarter sessions from a2a online that ann bragg the widow of william bragg along with her three children have to go back to st merryn to be cared for in 1786 which is the same year i have in my records that william dies. i think ann may have been williams second wife and when he died she was sent back to his home parish to be cared for. doesthis make sense. i would love to prove this link."]

William Bragg was born on 2 Apr 1720 and baptised in St Merryn on 19 apr 1720 as the third son of John Bragg and Ann Mably married 30 Dec 1710 in St Merryn. His siblings were Samuel(10 Sep 1711), John(12 Oct 1713), Charles(1 Jun 1723) then Katherine 1725 and Hester 1730. John married Mary Warne on 5 sep 1736 in St Merryn. Esther or Hester seems to be an important name in the Bragg family as it appears through the generations.