PDA

View Full Version : It Pays to Vary the Search Engine

Sue Mackay
21-10-2007, 7:21 PM
Like most people I have been an avid user of Google and have it as my Home Page, but recently my son's American football team have been fundraising via a site which requires me to go via Yahoo. For the first time I tried out their search engine and did my usual test of putting in GILSTAIN, a very unusual name I am researching. They didn't have as many hits as Google, but did come up with a website I had never seen before.

|jumphappy

My 3xgreat grandfather, Arthur GILSTAIN was born in Londonderry, Ireland, but I was never sure whether I actually had Irish ancestry because he was born into the 49th regiment, which was stationed in Londonderry in 1786, and he enlisted in the regiment himself in Jamaica in 1796 at the age of TEN :eek: When the regiment got sent back to Ireland he married a widow in Cork in 1819, whose maiden name was Frances BROADBROOK, and whose son by her first husband, Richard MAHONY, is mentioned in my 3xgreat grandfather's will. Arthur and Frances ended up in Cape Town, South Africa, and their eldest son married a Helena BROADBROOK who had come out from Ireland in 1859, and I presumed was a connection of his mother's, but I had no idea where the BROADBROOKs came from until I saw this site. There was the whole BROADBROOK family in Youghal, County Cork, well researched, and including a reference to Frances BROADBROOK and her first marriage to Henry MAHONY. I am now back to 1660 - and in IRELAND of all places, where information is notoriously difficult to come by. Apparently my forebears are all buried in Youghal - yet another place to visit!

|woohoo|

busyglen
22-10-2007, 10:15 AM
How wonderful Sue.....you never know where something is going to turn up do you? I'll have to try that method....like you, I mostly use Google and don't think of other search engines.

Good luck with the rest of your research on this!

Glenys

Davran
22-10-2007, 2:08 PM
Sue, that's fantastic. We only have one known Irishman who married into the family. I have been told of his parents, but have been put off doing any kind of research in Ireland due to the known difficulties.

Summer
03-08-2008, 6:27 AM
Hi there,
My hubbie comes from Ballycotton, a beautiful small fishing village, not very far at all from Youghal! There is loads to do in and around Ballycotton - cliff walks with amazing scenery, deep sea angling, a cookery school & pottery in Shanagarry (the neighbouring village), not to mention all that Youghal has to offer too. East Cork is a lovely part of Ireland. If you ever get to visit there, you should head to the "Inn by the Harbour" a bar and B&B run by my in-laws Mary Rose and Jerry Lynch (in Ballycotton). You will be looked after I can assure you! Yummy breakfast!!! (I'm always thinking of my stomach).
Cheers,
Summer.

Sue Mackay
03-08-2008, 7:29 AM
Hi there,
My hubbie comes from Ballycotton, a beautiful small fishing village, not very far at all from Youghal! There is loads to do in and around Ballycotton - cliff walks with amazing scenery, deep sea angling, a cookery school & pottery in Shanagarry (the neighbouring village), not to mention all that Youghal has to offer too. East Cork is a lovely part of Ireland. If you ever get to visit there, you should head to the "Inn by the Harbour" a bar and B&B run by my in-laws Mary Rose and Jerry Lynch (in Ballycotton). You will be looked after I can assure you! Yummy breakfast!!! (I'm always thinking of my stomach).
Cheers,
Summer.

One of these days.... Have had two holidays this year already, including one to South Africa that was almost entirely family history orientated, so must not wear hubby's patience (or wallet) too thin :D

Summer
04-08-2008, 5:42 AM
Yes, we must keep those hubbies on our good side!

Neil Wilson
04-08-2008, 10:35 AM
I have both Google and Yahoo in my toolbar and vary between them. Every now and again, I try another charity base one called everyclick which is linked to a charity I am involved with. They all can throw up different sites, every now and again one which like Sue's can be a little gem.

v.wells
04-08-2008, 2:42 PM
Sue

That's wonderful! Looks like the "ghost whisperer" worked magic for you.:D

I will have to try Yahoo again too!