PDA

View Full Version : Lieutenant Cyril A. Lynch of the Royal Field Artillery

BimJim
12-10-2007, 11:11 PM
We found a medal card for Lieutenant Cyril A. Lynch of the Royal Field Artillery in the 1914-1920 World War (Catalogue reference: WO 372/12), but so far have been unable to confirm that this was our relative, born in Barbados, West Indies, with middle name Aubrey.

Is there some way of confirming this information at the source? I don't weant to waste my time with American information wholesalers with NO interest in details - like Ancestry - so if anyone can guide me to whoever would be able to add the 2 and 2 together and get 4 for us I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks much...

Jim Lynch

Initial communications through this form, please, to avoid the SPAM harvesters.

BimJim
12-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Thank you... I also provide what help I can, in a similar way. I provide the Caribbean Surname Index and the Canadian Surname Index, neither one is as extensive as what you created, but you're definitely giving me ideas!!!

Best of luck to you, too...

Jim
|biggrin|

Geoffers
13-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Just some thoughts........

Do you definitely know the chap you are looking for was an officer and so likely to match this medal card?

When did he marry? Was this in the war/before/after and what is his recorded occupation?

Are you near to a record office which has a run of the regularly published Army List? Using the Army list is is possible to trace careers of army officers.

Did he survive the Great War? Check the CWGC web-site.

Was your chap injured in the Great War so that he received a pension or the Silver War Badge?

Geoffers

BimJim
13-10-2007, 2:21 PM
Just some thoughts........

Do you definitely know the chap you are looking for was an officer and so likely to match this medal card?

Yes, he was a Lieutenant. He was my father's father and the family knew that for sure.

When did he marry? Was this in the war/before/after and what is his recorded occupation?

He married in 1917, at Holy Trinity, York (in the UK). I don't know for sure what he was before the war, or afterward. He died young, in 1933, aged 43.

My Dad was the last (with a twin brother) of five kids, so he barely knew his father - I think he died when my dad was about 7 years old.

Are you near to a record office which has a run of the regularly published Army List? Using the Army list is is possible to trace careers of army officers.

I can try our local Reference Library, here in Toronto. But I don't think there is a Canadian branch anywhere of the British Record Office.

Did he survive the Great War? Check the CWGC web-site.

Yes, he did survive. We know that for sure - he died in 1933 of Typhoid fever.

Was your chap injured in the Great War so that he received a pension or the Silver War Badge?

Not injured, I think, and he died so young it's doubtful he received a pension.

After I posted here, I went and bought a copy of his medal card from the National Archives site, and you can see it here:

http://www.candoo.com/images/36891.gif

(I extracted it from the PDF six-pack the NA sold me at about 400K, cleaned it up quite a bit, and optimised it for file size, now about 70K).

More info (which may - or may not - make a difference)... he was born in Barbados (caucasian), West Indies, and most probably volunteered in the UK.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jim

hughar
13-10-2007, 3:35 PM
http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Huntingdonshire/StIves.html has a transcript of a letter from France dated 21 May 1917 and signed by Cyril A.Lynch regarding the death of a Sergeant Knights. Might this have been your Cyril A.Lynch? How does that date fit with the 1917 marriage, or might there have been another Cyril A.Lynch around at the time?

BimJim
13-10-2007, 5:09 PM
Thanks much for the reference link...

He was married in early November, so it could still be that he was back on leave.

I'm sending everything I get back home to my Dad (another computer nut, but a Mac man through and through). Maybe he can drag some memories out into the light of day and put something together.

I think the most important part is to have the middle name officially confirmed as Aubrey - if it is something like Adderly or Athelbridge it's the wrong Lieutenant!! I'd also like to see his service record - where he fought, where he was posted, etc., even when he was on leave (to get married, of course!!), so we can stop the guessing game.

I'm sure my Dad will appreciate reading this anyway... he's a very smart guy - a lawyer with an earned title of Sir for service to his country - and even if this is not his father I'm sure he'd be proud to know a Lynch did the right thing and showed his humanity.

Best,
Jim

Geoffers
13-10-2007, 7:02 PM
Yes, he was a Lieutenant. He was my father's father and the family knew that for sure.

Good, so that ties in so far

He married in 1917, at Holy Trinity, York (in the UK).

If you don't have that marriage certificate, you need to obtain a copy, under occupation hope that it says Lieutenant RFA. If you don't know how to obtain a copy of a marriage certificate, please ask.

I can try our local Reference Library, here in Toronto. But I don't think there is a Canadian branch anywhere of the British Record Office.

Toronto Public Library has The Army List for Nov 1918
http://www.tpl.toronto.on.ca/
I searched on 'Army List' and it came back as hit no.106

Also for The Army List, try the British Consulate-General in Toronto, they may have a library with a collection of this publication. Otherwise some publishers have produced facsimile copies on CD - try http://www.parishchest.com/
and if you cannot find one there, look for alternative suppliers who advertise in genealogy magazines.

Geoffers

BimJim
13-10-2007, 7:30 PM
I ordered the marriage certificate, supposed to be dispatched November 5. Cost = 10 GBP. So we will see if it says Lieutenant RFA then.

I will visit the MTRL (Metropolitan Toronto Reference Library - TPA's biggest Library) on my next day off and look for The Army List for Nov 1918 - they may even have a copy of that CD you speak of. If they don't have what I need I will certainly try the British Consulate-General in Toronto.

Thanks again...

Jim

BimJim
14-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Sorry to be a continuing pest...

On the medal card above, can someone tell me what the abbreviations mean? Best scenario would be a "reading" of the card...

I can se that his SILVER Volume reference is C/159, but what was a Silver? And it's apparently on page , but does the raised "D" mean there was a clasp to the medal?

I guess "RFA" means Royal Artillery (yes? no?), and that he was of Lieutenant rank... and there are two lines in the "Remarks" section - can someone translate those for me? Do they have special meaning?

Where I come from from we have a saying that you don't get answers unless you ask questions (well it sounds a bit like that, anyway!!)... and I would appreciate some answers, so I'm going ahead and asking the questions!!!

Have a great day, folks, I'll be on the midnight shift and sleeping most of tomorrow while you're all ...............enjoying the sunshine!!!

Thanks in advance...

Jim

BimJim
15-10-2007, 2:53 AM
Before I invest in the Army List for myself - that I may consult once and never use again - I do plan to check my local Reference Library and British High Commission (here in Toronto) for access to same. They may even have a copy of your CD, since in the last few years they seem to be moving towards a digital store of information.

They also have a mass subscription to several on-line databases that Library users can access for free and just pay for whatever printing they do. It's a really good deal if you live nearby!

I have also asked the National Archives for an estimate of cost for the three records I can find for my Grandfather, which I hope will reach me by email on Monday (tomorrow) and I will go ahead and order them (to receive by download).

But thanks for the link... if I do need to get it, at least now I know how and where.

By the way, my Dad managed to dig up some info from the back of his memory... in an email today he says:

"We do know that my father was in a unit whose job it was to fire trench mortars. (He got "shell shock" from that experience). The letter written re Sergeant KNIGHTS was signed by "Cyril A Lynch O.C.M.T.M.B.", which translates to 'Officer Commanding Trench Mortar Battery'. I hardly think that there were TWO of the same name, with the same rank, and the same job in a TMB.

As I suspected, the medal he received was the Victory Medal, which is earned by those in the forces who survived that war. No specific act is necessary for that, only that one survives."

All the help is much appreciated... and I am still hoping someone can "translate" that medal card for me!

Best...

Jim

Forrest Anderson
15-10-2007, 10:28 PM
We found a medal card for Lieutenant Cyril A. Lynch of the Royal Field Artillery in the 1914-1920 World War (Catalogue reference: WO 372/12), but so far have been unable to confirm that this was our relative, born in Barbados, West Indies, with middle name Aubrey.

Is there some way of confirming this information at the source?

When an officer was first commissioned, an announcement was made in the London Gazette, which was a Government newspaper.

The LG archive is on-line and can be searched at http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/AdvancedSearch.aspx?geotype=London (http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/AdvancedSearch.aspx?geotype=London)

The following announcement appears on page 12297 of the edition for 8 Dec 1915:

-------------

ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY.
Northumbrian Brigade.
The undermentioned to be Second Lieutenants:

Dated 6th December, 1915.

Gordon Southern Charlton.
Cyril Aubrey Lynch.
--------------

Although it doesn't prove conclusively that this is the officer on the Medal Index Card, it is extremely likely to be him.

As regards Army Lists, the Monthly Army List, which is the most common one for that period, only gives initials for the vast majority of officers at that time, and I suspect that it wouldn't do you much good.

On the medal card above, can someone tell me what the abbreviations mean? Best scenario would be a "reading" of the card...

I can se that his SILVER Volume reference is C/159, but what was a Silver? And it's apparently on page , but does the raised "D" mean there was a clasp to the medal?

I guess "RFA" means Royal Artillery (yes? no?), and that he was of Lieutenant rank... and there are two lines in the "Remarks" section - can someone translate those for me? Do they have special meaning?

This Medal Index Card is sadly not particularly informative. It is for a Lieutenant Cyril A Lynch of the Royal Field Artillery, and it states that he was awarded the Victory Medal and British War Medal. A record of the award appears on page 747D of Medal Roll Vol C/159, and the medals were issued under Issue Voucher B/106 dated 12 Jan 1931. The "NW..." reference is unresearchable as far as I know.

Forrest

BimJim
15-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Excellent! Just the kind of response I was hoping for! Thank you very much.

I will continue my research as indicated...

Much appreciated!

Jim

jc.4th@btintern
22-11-2007, 11:42 PM
As a very new member(40 minutes!) I find I can answer your question. RFA is the Royal Field Artillery, up until post WW2 there were many branches of the Royal regiment of Artillery. These included Coastal - RCA, Field - RFA The Royal Horse Artillery is, despite it's members hating it, part of the Royal Regiment. Further sub titles such as Heavy, Medium, Light, Mountain etc were carried in individual unit titles, e.g. 32 Heavy Regiment RA Hope I didnt bore you too much, John Forth

BimJim
23-11-2007, 12:51 AM
Many thanks for your contribution... since I started looking (on behalf of my Dad) for information on my Grandfather just a few months ago I ordered and have received his marriage certificate (in York) as well as many of his military papers, including Medical Boards.

We picked out his military record, from enlistment to discharge, and found included a letter from his father - who had travelled from Barbados and was living temporarily at a hotel in London - asking for release of his three volunteer sons after hostilities were over.

The marriage certificate was received in hardcopy, appropriately notarised on secure paper (it's a legal document), all the rest as image files which I cleaned up with Photoshop, optimised for file size (made the files smaller) and made available to my Dad over the internet - I'm in Toronto, he's in Barbados.

In the search I also found my grandfather's name, linked to his father-in-law's, attached to a patent for a steam kettle from before he enlisted... seems he was a bit of an inventor, like me!!

Anyway, we move on. I really appreciate the advances this and other Forums have afforded me through opening queries for others to answer.

As an aside, I also create and administer Forums... one of them is in Caribbean genealogy (the Caribbean Surname Index), and much the same opportunities exist there for people to post their family surnames, locations and queries for others to find and respond to - works like a charm,and many people are making real connections through my free facility.

Thanks to the creators and administrators of this forum for their assistance.

BimJim