PDA

View Full Version : A word of warning

Londonwhay
25-11-2004, 3:11 PM
I had forgotten the site for ordering certificates so I Googled. I clicked on the top link: http://www.gov-certificates.co.uk/ which did not take me to the site I expected which should have been: http://www.gro.gov.uk

The former looks 'official' but no price is quoted. When looking at the terms it becomes obvious that this is a private business, the following from the terms page leads me to think they could be quite expensive.

"Where a certificate is not registered or does not match the given details we will be unable to supply the requested certificate, in certain circumstances particularly England and Wales the 50 year rule applies this means that you must supply us with all of the required details, the cost of your certificate is broken down into 2 components parts 11 for the search application of GRO and associated administration, and the remainder for the supply of the relevant certificate and postage when because of incomplete insufficient or non registration applies certificates online will make a charge of 11 per certificate and the remainder will be credited to the credit card that you ordered the relevant certificate on."

I just feel that beginners ought to know how easy it is to make a mistake and order certificates that are more expensive than if you order from the genuine gro-gov suite.

Glenda

Pam Downes
25-11-2004, 7:01 PM
Thanks for this Glenda.
I presume that you will have no problems if we forward details of these people to other mailing lists?
I looked for the actual cost but didn't find it until I had filled in the certificate request. complete with such details as first and surname of groom, first name and name of bride on marriage date, date of marriage
- though just the year was acceptable, town and district of marriage. The names of the bride and groom's fathers were optional. What a load of baloney - half of that information is precisely what we're trying to find out!
Then I got to the price - I hope you're all sitting down - GBP23.00 for normal service 15 - 20 days or GBP50.00 for fast track. |shocked| is supposed to mean shocked, but I'm sure you can put a much more apt interpretation to it.

Pam Downes

Londonwhay
25-11-2004, 7:35 PM
Thanks for this Glenda.
I presume that you will have no problems if we forward details of these people to other mailing lists?
I looked for the actual cost but didn't find it until I had filled in the certificate request. complete with such details as first and surname of groom, first name and name of bride on marriage date, date of marriage
- though just the year was acceptable, town and district of marriage. The names of the bride and groom's fathers were optional. What a load of baloney - half of that information is precisely what we're trying to find out!
Then I got to the price - I hope you're all sitting down - GBP23.00 for normal service 15 - 20 days or GBP50.00 for fast track. |shocked| is supposed to mean shocked, but I'm sure you can put a much more apt interpretation to it.

Pam Downes
Hi Pam,

I have no problem at all with you warning other folks. And what an apt smiley.|rant| as is this one.

Glenda