PDA

View Full Version : Chatham Barracks

Anna
28-09-2007, 12:39 PM
I have found someone in 1891 Census at Upper & Lower Chatham Barracks a. He is a Private in the Infantry.

He is from Portsmouth and looking through the other pages all the others seem to be from Hampshire too.

Is there anyway I can find out which Regiments were stationed at Chatham on that date?

uksearch
28-09-2007, 12:55 PM
If you have access to the Census, just read on. At least it will tell you who was there on the night. Obviously for those based there but posted, you would have to look elsewhere. sorry must go out of time.

UK

Mutley
28-09-2007, 7:08 PM
I know the Royal Marines were there later.
I don't think I can give you the link to CityArk but you may find the information there if you google.
Sometimes on the census for a barracks the officers are at the front and it will often give their regiment. If you do not have access I can look for you if you give his name.
Best of Luck

Peter Goodey
28-09-2007, 9:32 PM
Is there anyway I can find out which Regiments were stationed at Chatham on that date?

Anna

This is probably not the best way to go about it. Better to find out what regiment he was in by getting hold of his discharge papers. See http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=14

It is probably not necessary to visit the National Archives in order to obtain his papers. Sing out if there's anything you don't understand after reading the above research guide.

You should also make sure you have a full complement of BMD certificates. A soldiers regiment may well be mentioned on a mariage cert or a child's birth cert.

Anna
29-09-2007, 9:25 AM
Thank you for your replies. I did read back to the beginning (which I should have done in the first place) and of the Officers a few were Royal Artillery and all the rest were Royal Engineers. This is a side of the family I have only just started looking at so need to get some Certs to verify some facts. Funnily enough this seems to be the first person in the family who has any military background. Makes a change from Ag Labs!