PDA

View Full Version : Hodge Family

Halohodge
27-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi, I am trying to find details of my Grandfather who was killed on the western front in 1918, I have a grainy picture and details from the War Graves Commision, What would be my next step. He went missing and was never found so any help would be of benefit as I would like to visited the battlefield next year so would like to know where to go.
How do you get a picture displayed on the thread as I cant find the link to get the picture from my computer
Any advice gratefully received.
Yours Halohodge.

Geoffers
27-09-2007, 1:31 PM
It depends what you mean by 'find out the details'. You've used the CWGC to find out some information, have you tried to see if there is a medal card on TNA's Documentsonline? http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/default.asp
(click on family history' then 'WW1 Campaign Medals'

Or knowing his unit, is there any useful information in the war diairies, which may be online at the same URL as above (Click on 'Other Records' then 'Military & Defence'). The diary is very unlikely to mention your chap, but you might find out about what his regiment was doing when he died.

Good books help to fill in detail and you might also try the regimental museum. You may be lucky enough for his service record to have survived at TNA - use their research guides to help you find out about what is available.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp?j=1
Click on 'B' and then the relevant link prefixed 'British Army'.

Geoffers

Halohodge
27-09-2007, 3:59 PM
Many thanks for your reply. I will try those various web sites.
One of the problems I have is when I input the name onto the War Graves Commision web site it comes up with more than one name, how do I find out the correct one, this is why I want to post a picture of my grandfather so that hopefully someone will recognize the uniform from the picture. It does not help when I dont know exactly when he was killed
Yours Halohodge

Geoffers
28-09-2007, 11:43 AM
One of the problems I have is when I input the name onto the War Graves Commision web site it comes up with more than one name, how do I find out the correct one

Some of the entries on CWGC have additional information by which they can be identified, or rejected as not the correct entry. Also try the National Roll for WW1 (it isn't complete but worth checking) and the list of Soldiers which died in WW1, both of which can be found on pay-to-view web-sites. It is often a process of elimination. What is your grandfather's name?

Geoffers