PDA

View Full Version : Absent Voters Lists

Sano
27-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Hi dose anyone know anything about Absent Voters Lists 1918-19 for Wigan Lancashire , i am trying to find what reg my granddad was in or his service number, i have tried the Library, history shop who say have never hear of them, ancestry, National Archives which give's me 4 with the same name
thanks in advance
Sandra

Peter Goodey
27-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Hi dose anyone know anything about Absent Voters Lists 1918-19 for Wigan Lancashire

Is Wigan in Greater Manchester? If so try Greater Manchester County Record Office. Otherwise Lancs CRO (if my geography is awry).

Otherwise try the British Library.

Could you not identify your grandfather from the WW1 medal cards? Be a lot simpler if you could ;)

Sano
27-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi thanks for that i have e-mailed the british Library but they have not got back to me yet, i will give Greater Manchester Records Office a try
Thanks
Sandra

uksearch
27-09-2007, 11:59 AM
If the Absent Voters' List is available it will be at Wigan Heritage Centre. You can find the link on either of my links pages.

UK

mack
10-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Hi dose anyone know anything about Absent Voters Lists 1918-19 for Wigan Lancashire , i am trying to find what reg my granddad was in or his service number, i have tried the Library, history shop who say have never hear of them, ancestry, National Archives which give's me 4 with the same name
thanks in advance
Sandrahiya sandra.
many librarians dont know what an AVL is,as far as i know,wigan doesnt have an actual AVL,check the normal voting registers for 1918,any names with an A next to them,will be a absent voter.
what was your g/fathers name

mack

uksearch
11-11-2007, 9:06 PM
They certainly did exist...but whether they survived or not is entirely a different matter.

UK

Geoffers
11-11-2007, 10:00 PM
i am trying to find what reg my granddad was in or his service number,

You may have tried these, but some ideas which may save you hunting for something which no longer survives:

Do any of his descendents still have his war medals - you may find the information engraved around the rim.

Does he appear in 'The National Roll of the Great War' - although incomplete it is available on pay-per-view sites such as 'findmypast'

Did he by any chance receive a pension? Try..........
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/stories/166.htm

If he died in the War, try CWGC.

Was he an officer? - Try The Army List to see if you can identify him; or perhaps his is one of the Officers' records individually indexed on TNA's catalogue inWO339

Sano
12-11-2007, 9:48 AM
Hi Thanks for your reply, don't know if Granddad had any medals as there is no one left to ask, can't find him on ancestry, all i was told he was in India, the only one i hav'nt tried is find my past i will give it a go .
Thanks again
Regards
Sandra

Peter Goodey
12-11-2007, 10:33 AM
don't know if Granddad had any medals as there is no one left to ask

The point has already been made about the medal cards. Can you identify him among those?

I know that you said "National Archives...give's me 4 with the same name" but I don't know what that means.

shinglma
08-01-2008, 5:24 PM
anyone know anything about Absent Voters Lists 1918-19 for Wigan Lancashire
Sandra

Not all Absent Voter Lists have survived. They take two forms:

a) Appendices to the Electoral Registers detailing the absent voter and details of rank, number and unit.

b) a note on the Electoral Roll itself (usually an A against the name). In such cases no further details are listed.

They are held in different places from area to area; some times they are in a local history archive, other cases they are in the main public library. My advice would be to find out where the electoral rolls for Wigan are held and enquire there. Be warned only a few have survived. If that fails try contacting the British Library - they hold some but again their collection is patchy.

HTH

Mike Shingleton

Wirral
08-01-2008, 8:54 PM
Wigan History Shop is the name of the local history & family history archive centre for Wigan. If anyone has the records you want, they shouild have them. Try contacting them again, saying that the information you need is probably in the electoral register books. You will need to know an approximate address as the registers are indexed by polling district & address, not by surname.