PDA

View Full Version : County Pages

Jane M
23-09-2007, 2:56 PM
Do fellow B-G Forum users think it might be a good idea to put the County pages nearer the top of the page? This is my first port of call when I open B-G & it's way down the page, in fact I couldn't find it at one point:confused: What do other users think, is it the first place you go to???

Jane

Ladkyis
23-09-2007, 3:25 PM
My first port of call is to click on New POsts - that way I see all the latest messages in all the different sections. This would not be a good thing to do if you only visit once a week - I usually pop in every morning and then get on with my other life through the day and then settle happily in front of the puter most evenings - pausing for the occasional must see TV prog

MarkJ
23-09-2007, 4:07 PM
Like Ladkyis, I tend to click New Posts to see what has been posted since I last looked.
But I do look quite often!

Mark

AnnB
23-09-2007, 4:22 PM
Like Ladkyis, I tend to click New Posts to see what has been posted since I last looked.
But I do look quite often!

Mark

That's what I do - trouble is, with so many new posts, my visits are getting longer and more frequent:o

Best wishes
Ann

Jane M
23-09-2007, 5:11 PM
Obviously we all use the B-G Forums in different ways & for different reasons. I like to go to the Surrey & Sussex boards to see if anyone needs any help |angel| so my suggestion would be;

Parish Chest News
Newbies
COUNTY FORUMS
Across the Pond(s)
The rest to follow on as is :)

Jane

uksearch
23-09-2007, 5:30 PM
I thought the front page was well balanced as it is. So, how would you have the front page listed - in what order?
Whatever you do will make some people happy and others not. It's a no win situation. However, if it aint broke, why fix it?

UK

busyglen
23-09-2007, 6:13 PM
Likewise, I also check the new posts first to see if anything catches my eye that I might be able to help on. That way I hopefully won't miss any County messages. If I want to start a post, whether it be for a County or otherwise, I just page down until I get to what I am looking for. As UK says.....if it aint broke, don't fix it!

Upon reflection....I suppose us `oldies' are so used to moving around the forum we don't think twice about it, but it would be difficult to change things every time someone is not happy with the layout. It's a no win situation. :(

Glenys

uksearch
23-09-2007, 6:23 PM
Hey, I am with you on this one. Memo to self - Must be careful here as I am agreeing with uksearch!!! SNIP SMILEY

I've been trying to think of a polite reply...in the end I just gave up. Then I had an |idea| and remembered this one |moon| rather than having a |rant| or a |shakehead. So I aint :mad: ,but just |sad1|.

UK

Oh drat I had 10 smilies, then found out the limit was 6.

uksearch
23-09-2007, 6:36 PM
Don't tell me. Now you want me to raise the limit to ten smilies!

No I think six is enough...because if you raised it to ten, then someone would want 12 and so...:D

arthurk
23-09-2007, 6:46 PM
Obviously we all use the B-G Forums in different ways & for different reasons. I like to go to the Surrey & Sussex boards to see if anyone needs any help |angel| so my suggestion would be;

Parish Chest News
Newbies
COUNTY FORUMS
Across the Pond(s)
The rest to follow on as is :)

Jane
Forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know, Jane, but have you tried subscribing to the Forums you're particularly interested in? If you do that, not only do you get emails telling you what new and updated posts there are (I get mine once a day, but other frequencies can be chosen), but if you click on "User CP" from any page you'll see them laid out right in front of you.

Another tip which I picked up recently (though it doesn't fit my current way of working) is the box at the foot of most pages giving a quick jump to any other forum.

Arthur

uksearch
23-09-2007, 6:57 PM
Thank you Arthur. If I had half a brain, I would have thought of that.
I'm saying nothing|nopity|.

Davran
23-09-2007, 8:19 PM
I always go to New Posts - that way you don't miss anything. That's fine until you go away for a week or two and then have to catch up - then you do miss things through not looking properly. It's a tough life, isn't it?!|nopity|

Jane M
24-09-2007, 5:46 AM
Forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know, Jane, but have you tried subscribing to the Forums you're particularly interested in? If you do that, not only do you get emails telling you what new and updated posts there are (I get mine once a day, but other frequencies can be chosen), but if you click on "User CP" from any page you'll see them laid out right in front of you.

Another tip which I picked up recently (though it doesn't fit my current way of working) is the box at the foot of most pages giving a quick jump to any other forum.

Arthur

Thanks Arthur. I do receive emails advising me of updates on threads I've made a contribution to but not to new postings on these county boards (if that's what you mean ) I also use the 'jump to' bar. I will go & explore the user CP to see what's what ;) I'm also going to start using the 'New Posts' option as most of you do.
I'm a great advocate of. 'if it aint broke why fix it?', and as everyone else seems satisfied with the way things are.......|bowdown| :)

Jane

Jane M
24-09-2007, 2:16 PM
No problems, Bo Peep. I'm also an advocate of, 'if you don't ask, you don't get' ;) but how about a gizmo at the top of the page, 'new replies to your threads', which gives a page listing threads that I have contributed to & have been replied to. By clicking on a particular thread it takes me straight there ????? It's personal to the user & saves having to trawl through the New Posts |hug|

Jane

arthurk
24-09-2007, 6:47 PM
No problems, Bo Peep. I'm also an advocate of, 'if you don't ask, you don't get' ;) but how about a gizmo at the top of the page, 'new replies to your threads', which gives a page listing threads that I have contributed to & have been replied to. By clicking on a particular thread it takes me straight there ????? It's personal to the user & saves having to trawl through the New Posts |hug|

Jane
That's already there too! It's the top part of the User CP - unread threads show up when you first go there, and there's a link just below them to go to all threads that you're subscribed to. They think of everything!

Arthur

Jane M
24-09-2007, 7:06 PM
:o after I posted that Arthur, I started playing around & found the user CP & subscribed to my favourite county pages, so I'm all set-up now |jumphappy

Jane

arthurk
24-09-2007, 7:10 PM
I'm not just a pretty face :)

Arthur