PDA

View Full Version : Don't believe everythin you read

Davran
19-09-2007, 3:41 PM
I've recently been reminded to double-check things.

Thanks to Sue Mackay |hug| I found the death date of my ancestor, Robert Forsyth, who died aged 59 in 1874. I then looked for the record on ScotlandsPeople, but couldn't find him until it was pointed out to me that there was a Robert F aged 63 who also died in 1874 (right person!). So, I forked out another 6 for credits to get the details. The informant had been Robert's son, who had been unable to remember his grandmother's first name and gave her surname as McLaren (to those who don't know Scottish records give parents' names of deceased - very useful).

Now, I had previously found who I thought were Robert's parents in 1841 - named James (shepherd) & Isoble (sic). On the death register Robert's father was James, a shepherd.

cont'd.......

Davran
19-09-2007, 3:52 PM
part 2

I could find no marriages for James Forsyth/McLaren, but I knew Robert was born in Erskine and lo and behold I found banns being proclaimed for James F in Old Kilpatrick and Isabell MILLAR in Erskine - they were married two weeks later. Great, I thought, but no parents' names :(. I was about to log out when I noticed another mention of James F/Isobel MILLER in Old Kilpatrick, so I paid my 5 credits and, bingo, another proclamation of marriage giving James' occupation and place of work and Isobel's father's name and occupation and place of work.

That led me on to find Isobel's baptism, giving her mother's maiden name.

Now, how lucky is that? BUT, if I hadn't double-checked the banns notices I would never have found out.

joette
19-09-2007, 4:23 PM
Great especially as Old Kilpatrick is where a goodly amount of my family were born,married & are buried there.I grew up in neighbouring Dalmuir.
They must have rowed or perhaps ferried(not sure when the Erskine ferry started) across to visit each other.No handy Erskine bridge then.

I am wondering if the families were employed on Lord Erskine's estate on now which houses Erskine Hospital aka Princess Lousia's Hospital for Ex-Servicemen &Women.Where my Grandparents-she working & living OK & he an in- patient.
I know that many a drunk or depressed ex-serviceman would throw themselves in the Clyde-often letting off the brakes of their wheelchairs on the incline down to the ferry.

Sue Mackay
19-09-2007, 4:26 PM
Thanks to Sue Mackay |hug| I found the death date of my ancestor, Robert Forsyth, who died aged 59 in 1874. ..

Ooh. there's nothing like a |hug| to brighten a dreary day. Glad the info helped.

Wilkes_ml
19-09-2007, 5:28 PM
Generally, I have always found two banns/marriage entries for my Scottish ancestors pre-1855. It was a bit confusing at first, then I realised that one parish was just a proclamation of intent to marry (i.e. banns) and the other was the proclamation and marriage. Though sometimes the parish with just the banns would refer to the marriage having taken place, but did not necessarily mention the name of the other parish where the marriage occurred. You were lucky to get the extra information!

Davran
19-09-2007, 5:48 PM
I am wondering if the families were employed on Lord Erskine's estate ...

Joette, you might be able to help here. James Forsyth was "herd at Park House" in Old Kilpatrick - any ideas where that might be? Matthew Miller was farmer at what looks like BARSCUBE???? in the parish of Erskine.

Just found Barscube on Streetmap.co.uk - it just sounded a very unlikely Scottish place

Geoff Rogers
19-09-2007, 8:15 PM
Generally, I have always found two banns/marriage entries for my Scottish ancestors pre-1855. It was a bit confusing at first, then I realised that one parish was just a proclamation of intent to marry (i.e. banns) and the other was the proclamation and marriage. Though sometimes the parish with just the banns would refer to the marriage having taken place, but did not necessarily mention the name of the other parish where the marriage occurred. You were lucky to get the extra information!

Thanks for that information, I have a couple of instances of two of my ancestors marrying on consecutive days in different parishes and I always wondered why.

joette
20-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Hi the only Park House that I know was a much later name for Auchentoshan Estate which is more in Dalmuir than OK but near enough to spit!It became Park House I think in the 1860's
Wish my Granny was around as she would have known.

I think Brascube is nearer to Houston than to OK so a bit of a trek.The ferries were in operation then so at least they didn't have to row across.

At the time this area would have been mainly agricultural with several huge estates.There were Spinning Mills in Duntocher-adjacent to OK &Dalmuir.There was a fledging ship-building in Bowling & Dumbarton again adjacent to OK & on the Clyde. I think there was also Paper Mills.

It is a lovely part of the World & the Parish Church in OK is beautiful with many graves & crypts going back centuries.It also lays claim to being the birthplace of St Patrick.

If you want further info try The Clydebank Story which will refer to OK & Erskine.CLydebank Library also has a good Archive section.For Old Kilpatrick it would be West Dumbartonshire & again they have good records.Both very helpful.

As to the "crying of the Banns" it was to make sure that neither party had a secret tucked away in another Parish.Not the first time a wife or husband was surprised to hear that their spouse was planning a wedding in another Parish.

Davran
20-09-2007, 4:27 PM
Thanks, Joette. I'll store that info and do a bit of further investigation. Barscube is near Yetston, Haddockston and Meiklefield on the Dargavel Burn. Looks very picturesque to judge by the OS map.

I'm feeling the need for a trip up to Scotland to see the place, but how do I fit it in with work and everything else? Also need to visit Norfolk, which is a lot nearer home.

Kingetter
29-09-2007, 7:12 AM
While this won't help solve any queries, I thought it might be of some interest. In the 1960's, I worked for Singer Sewing Machines in Clydebank which was only a couple of stops in the 'Blue Train' from my digs in Dumbarton Road, Old Kilpatrick. Singers had its own station then, and 14,000 employees. Next stop along I think was Clydebank station (for the football ground).
A short distance the other way was Milton by Bowling (I had an uncle there), and nearby was Jackie Stewart's (Racing Driver) Garage.

James.

Sue Mackay
29-09-2007, 7:19 AM
which was only a couple of stops in the 'Blue Train'

Gosh, sudden memory flood. I used to go to school on 'The Blue Train'!!