PDA

View Full Version : Francis Holton-Titchborne St.

stella
24-11-2004, 6:26 AM
Would anyone be able to direct me on where to try next for this elusive relative.
Francis Holton died in 1844 aged 45 years in 9 Titchborne St. St. James, Middlesex. Found 5 children with mother Sophia ? on the IGI. I don't know where to go to now. Too early for free bmd. And I don't have Sophia's maiden name. Any help most gratefully received!! Stella in Queensland.

Geoffers
24-11-2004, 8:37 AM
Would anyone be able to direct me on where to try next for this elusive relative. Francis Holton died in 1844 aged 45 years in 9 Titchborne St. St. James, Middlesex. Found 5 children with mother Sophia ? on the IGI. I don't know where to go to now. Too early for free bmd. And I don't have Sophia's maiden name. Any help most gratefully received!! Stella in Queensland.
Part 1 of 2 to avoid duplicate text

A few ideas to get you going.......

As the IGI is a guide and not a source, I'd suggest looking at the parish registers to both confirm the detail given and to glean any additional information not shown on the IGI. You should be able to hire copes of the registers on film at mormon church (LDS) record centres. Registes of baptism from 1813 onwards record the occuaption of the father - if he was in a trade or profession this may give you another avenue of research.

Over what period of time were the children baptised? If Francis was born about 1799 and the first child baptised about 1820-25, then this will considerably narrow down the period you have to check for a marriage.

Does the IGI show the children as all being born in the same parish? If so, you may find the couple married in that parish as well. If you don't find a marriage there, it may still be worthwhile checking the banns register - for example, the banns register may possibly show the home parish of bride and groom, if say the groom came from St.James and the bride from another parish, then check the bride's home parish for the marriage (many couples married in the church where the bride lived).

Geoffers

Geoffers
24-11-2004, 8:41 AM
Part 2 or 2.....

Check the 1841 census, it was not required to record specific birthplaces, relationships in a household or specific ages (adults ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 years), but it may still give you some clues and show a family group - maybe some children of whom you were not aware?
Check the 1851 census for Francis' widow and see where she was born. If the first child you have located was not baptised until the 1830's, the couple may have married sometime earlier. This census may show the widow as having been born away from the London area - could they have married in or near where she was born and have had children before moving to London?

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

stella
24-11-2004, 2:22 PM
Geoffers,

Many thanks for all your information & knowledge. This gives me somewhere to go now! I did try for the 1841 census, but a reply came back that it was un-inhabitable. Unfortunately Francis & Sophia have moved 3 times between 5 children! Nevertheless, I've got something to go on. Thanks again & kind regards, Stella, Queensland.