PDA

View Full Version : Rosetta Dace & the Churchills

GeoffD
13-09-2007, 10:05 AM
My ggg-grandfather James DACE remarried late in life (to a woman 40 years his junior) and produced a further three half-siblings for my great-great grandmother; Rosetta, the wonderfully named Gustavus Orlando, and Isabella. I knew of their existence, but had put aside researching these three for a quieter moment.

A couple of days ago, I had contact with a descendant of Gustavus Orlando. This prompted a flurry of activity to confirm and complement the information she so generously sent to me.

Lo and behold, in the 1871 census, Rosetta is listed as a Housemaid at Blenheim Palace.

I wonder if she was still there (she married in 1877 in St George, Middx. and later moved to Lancs.) when Winston was born in 1874?

Is this the closest I will ever get to greatness? :o

busyglen
13-09-2007, 12:33 PM
How interesting Geoff......at least she was actually there at some stage, so that's good enough in my book! ;)

Glenys

GeoffD
13-09-2007, 8:40 PM
The 1871 census of Woodstock, Blenheim, is interesting in itself. There are 5 pages, all apparently connected to the Palace and its surrounding buildings. A wonderful snapshot of the lives of the "wich and famous".

Another thing I've discovered about Rosetta - all too often she is transcribed as Rosella (including FreeBMD).

(To us, a Rosella is both a parrot - well, two types of parrot - and a plant.)

Geoffers
13-09-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm sure that you are aware that Blenheim Palace has its own web-site

Many years ago, I went into the upper rooms in the Palace where the servants ued to live. They were large dormitories, with passageways running off behind the main rooms and hallways of the house so that the staff didn't get in the way. The windows are much smaller, but the views of the park much better from up near the roof!

Geoffers

GeoffD
13-09-2007, 11:01 PM
I wonder whether they kept employment records?

Geoffers
13-09-2007, 11:08 PM
It would be worth dropping them a line to find out what they do hold. It may just be a record of pay, but you never know if there is more unless you ask

Geoffers

GeoffD
14-09-2007, 2:35 AM
I might just give it a go. See what happens.

GeoffD
10-10-2008, 9:41 PM
Update:
I've been corresponding with the Education Officer at Blenheim. This, this morning:
"We have been down to the archives several times and looked through many of the Ledgers. I am afraid I have found no listing of the name Rosetta Dace. This does not mean of course that she did not work here as we also have the 1871 census and she is indeed listed there. All it means is that after several attempts we can not find her. I wish you luck with your family research. "

busyglen
11-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Oh, that's a shame Geoff...it would have been great to have actually had a mention in one of their ledgers.

Glenys