PDA

View Full Version : General Sir Redvers Buller

Cymraes
23-11-2004, 5:27 PM
At last I have found out why my gt grandmother Margaret Grant Toolan was in London when she married my grandfather William Forse from Exeter - she was either a housekeeper or ladies maid in the household of General Sir Redvers Buller. His town house was in Bruton St and he had connections with Devon, which could explain how she met my Gt Grandfather, because he worked for a firm called Isaacs which made hunting boots for the gentry. I have also found Redvers Bullers in Lancashire, where her family moved from Scotland. So where was the family in 1881? My gt gran is missing and I can't find the Redver Bullers either. Could the entire household have been abroad? I will be interested to hear any theories!

Pam Downes
23-11-2004, 6:38 PM
[QUOTE=Cymraes] So where was the family in 1881? My gt gran is missing and I can't find the Redver Bullers either. Could the entire household have been abroad? /QUOTE]

Quite possibly as Redvers Buller was a big Army chappie.
Do a google search for Redvers Buller. The 4th entry might not be too helpful as that's about a pub :) But there's still another 3696 to look at!

Is there any chance that your gt gran could have been in Scotland in 1881, or have already checked for her in the Scottish records?

Pam Downes

Ron Lankshear
23-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Sir Redvers was overseas in 1881

Margaret Toolan gets 15 hits on LDS 1881 - presumably none of those match what you know about your woman
As Pam said perhaps in Scotland

Maureen
24-11-2004, 12:46 AM
Sir Redvers Buller was in South Africa at some time - not sure when, but it's worth a look.

ziksby
24-11-2004, 1:10 AM
Yes, he was the General in charge of the British Army fighting in the Boer War. He was relieved of his post after criticising the war. He'd also been in Africa before, fighting the Zulus (winning a VC)

He was back in England in 1882 when he got married. (found on FreeBMD)
There are lots of references to him on A2A

keith9351
24-11-2004, 12:05 PM
While visiting Winchester Cathedral this year I remember seeing a large bronze effigy of General Buller inside. He was Colonel of the Kings Royal Rifle Corps. 1895-1908 and they were based in Winchester. Could be some leads with there postings.
Keith