PDA

View Full Version : Pallots Marriage Index

Catherine Anderson
23-11-2004, 3:43 AM
I was wondering where I can go to find out what I want from Pallots Marriage Index.

I saw what I wanted when visiting Ancestry to get more info I have to pay, I don't mind paying, but have been told that the information is freely available and cost free in the UK, as I live in New Zealand don't know who to contact at the resources available.
Can any one advise me.
Thank you
Catherine

David Wilkins
23-11-2004, 4:52 AM
Hi Catherine,

Genealogical Society of NZ have it but you have to be a member. Some of the libraries in the larger centres eg Auckland, Wellington may also have it. Auckland do an out of town membership for $90 pa and this also gives you access to Ancestry. I have a membership can I look someone up for you?

Also try a search on Google if you haven't done so already. Happy hunting.

David, Auckland NZ

Lindad
23-11-2004, 1:12 PM
Catherine, if you post the details of who you are looking for here, maybe one of us with a subscription to Ancestry can look it up for you...

Guy Etchells
23-11-2004, 4:24 PM
Or even one of us who has Pallot's Marriage Index on cd may be able to help.;-)
Cheers
Guy

Linda Bailey
27-11-2004, 7:57 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is Pallot's Marriage Index? (Is is specific to location and/or time span? )

Linda

Zoe Archer
27-11-2004, 4:00 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is Pallot's Marriage Index? (Is is specific to location and/or time span? )

Linda

Hi Linda,

Yes, the time frame is 1780 - 1837. It covers mostly London but does include a few other places, not sure which specifically. Also a baptism index for the same period.

ruthrrr
28-11-2004, 12:41 AM
Is there anywhere in England that it can be viewed for free?

stgiles_noke
28-11-2004, 9:40 AM
Both are available on CD - but pretty pricey. If you are in or near Oxford you can consult both in the Bodleian Library if you have a Reader's Card - or if you know a student or member of staff you can perhaps get them to look up the information for you.
Anne Johnson

Peter Goodey
28-11-2004, 11:04 AM
"Is there anywhere in England that it can be viewed for free?"

The Society of Genealogists' library where you can also refer to Boyd's Marriage Index, Phillimore's, a wealth of parish registers, almost every published census index...

Peter Goodey
28-11-2004, 12:21 PM
I did indeed forget to mention the SoG library fee for non-members which I think is 9.20 for half a day. However this includes full use of the library including free access to ancestry. It's only a short walk from the FRC and it's quite feasible to spend a morning at the FRC (census, GRO indexes etc) and then stroll down to the SoG and use the afternoon to immerse oneself in parish registers, say.

Guy Etchells
28-11-2004, 2:11 PM
At my house ;-)
Cheers
Guy

Zoe Archer
28-11-2004, 2:21 PM
At my house ;-)
Cheers
Guy

Is that an invitation, Guy?
What a generous offer, do you supply lunch or shall we bring our own?

Unforunately, from Canada, I think a subscription to Ancestry is cheaper!

Peter Goodey
28-11-2004, 3:49 PM
.... or if your legs are like mine (or it's chucking down with rain) you can get a 153 bus from outside City University in St John Street. :)
Ah, yes. It is further if it's raining ;)

And I can't imagine that my legs are much better than yours! :o

Guy Etchells
28-11-2004, 11:43 PM
Nice one Zoe, but remember look-ups are only an email away.
Cheers
Guy

Catherine Anderson
29-11-2004, 4:17 AM
Hi Catherine,

Genealogical Society of NZ have it but you have to be a member. Some of the libraries in the larger centres eg Auckland, Wellington may also have it. Auckland do an out of town membership for $90 pa and this also gives you access to Ancestry. I have a membership can I look someone up for you?

Also try a search on Google if you haven't done so already. Happy hunting.

David, Auckland NZHello David, yes I am a society member #7708, but all they gave me was an index of what I already know, I wanted to know where I could find more
Thank you David
Catherine Anderson

ruthrrr
29-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Thanks for everyones advice. I shall probably try the FRC next time I am there although I do want to visit the SoG sometime in the future. Having said that, a possibility of a cup of tea at Guy's while browsing - who else could offer a better service :)

Catherine Anderson
30-11-2004, 3:43 AM
I would love to visit and enjoy a lot of walking & tramping around my beautiful country, New Zealand is a bit far away
Cheers
Catherine Anderson

Lindam
21-02-2010, 2:38 PM
Hi all

I understand that one of my Lasper ancestors are on the pallotts marriage index. i would be very grteful if someone could look it up for me please.

thanks in advance.

Colin Rowledge
21-02-2010, 4:01 PM
Hi all

I understand that one of my Lasper ancestors are on the pallotts marriage index. i would be very grteful if someone could look it up for me please.

thanks in advance.

Saml Lasper to Mary Harris - St. Martin's in the Field - 1803. Is this yours?

Cheers

Kerrywood
21-02-2010, 4:03 PM
According to Pallot's index, Samuel LASPER married Mary HARRIS in 1803 at St Martin in the Fields. The index slip implies that Samuel made his mark and Mary signed. There is no further information there.

The IGI gives the date of the marriage as 4 December 1803.

The original register can be seen at (or a copy of the entry ordered from) Westminster Archives, or by viewing an LDS film. Marital status (bachelor/spinster/widow) is not normally given in this particular register at this period. The only extra information is likely to be the names of two witnesses, who may or may not be related.

Kerrywood

Lindam
23-02-2010, 8:22 PM
Thanks for the look up, both. Yes this would appear to be my Samuel. If I find out what happened to I will let you know. Thank you again for your help.