PDA

View Full Version : Finding Lily May (Phillips) Poustie

Rove
02-09-2007, 1:36 AM
This a copy of my uncle William Poustie's marriage 1924.

---
William C. Poustie ‘seaman’ unmarried, married Lily May Phillips, age 23, Spinster, of 24
Bute Street, in the Register Office, on 23 Sept 1924 district of Cardiff/Caerdydd
Daughter of George Phillips (deceased) Brick Layer.
Registrar J T Lindsley. Deputy Supt. Registrar Robert Hyd
Witnesses Robert Zammit and F. L. A. Zammit
---

I've been searching for Lily May Poustie but I've hit a brickwall. Maybe one of you might suggest the way to trace her. Please note, I have all POUSTIE / POUSTY records from 1580 to today. I have all BMDs for this family. There was no children of this couple and no death record for Lily / Lilian or May / Mary Poustie.

In Free BMDs. Births in CARDIFF

Phillips Lily May 1-1901 ref 11a 305 (also found in State Library English records)
Phillips Lily May 1-1901 ref 11a 666 in Pontypridd abt 7 mls s-w of Gilfach / Pontypridd

Cannot be her cause father is not George.

She must have been born after the Census

Phillips Lilian May 4-1901 Cardiff ref 11a 282

I also found in Free BMDs

Lily May Phillips b June qtr 1901 in Birmingham - Ref 6d 67
Also found four (4) George Phillips marriages in same locality, 2-1896 -- 3-1896 -- 2-1894 --3-1893 -- 2-1893

William Poustie died at sea WW2 Sept 1941. When he died his next of kin was his mother.
No one in my family ever new that William ever married. Not even his mother. He served in WW1 and after that he worked on the Blue Funnel Line sailing from UK ports to South America till start of WW2.

I think they must have spilt up, maybe he took her to South America or divorced, Maybe she remarried as Lily Phillips.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Procat
02-09-2007, 1:49 AM
Hi Rove,

have you been able to track down the witnesses to the marriage? Perhaps F. L. A. is the sister of Lily May? Long shot I know.

Rove
02-09-2007, 3:00 AM
Hi Procat and thanks.

William Poustie was born in Malta 1894. He ran away from home age 16, Stowed away on a ship. Throughout his life at sea he always sent money to his mother in Malta but I believe he never returned to the Island.

I believe the two Zammit witnesses were both male and likely crew members of William.

When he died on convoy duty in WW2 all crew were lost and two of them were Maltese. Zammit is a Maltese surname and many Maltese joined the Merchant Navy and were based at Cardiff.

I really would love to find Lily May but may have to wait for the 1911 Census to get a lead on her family. Many Phillips people come from Wales also Aston in Warks.

I created a website for William

http://poustie.rootschat.net/U94.html

Thanks.

Thanks

Procat
02-09-2007, 3:12 AM
Hi Rove,

you've done well with the web site.

At least the 1911 census is not too many years away now. :D