PDA

View Full Version : Birth Puzzle: Henry Nott, Falmouth 1874

Wilkes_ml
28-08-2007, 5:36 PM
Hi

I'm hoping someone may be able to solve this puzzle -which has puzzled me for nearly 5 years!

I have a copy of 2X great grandfather's application for a copy of his birth certificate dated 1913 (last digit not clear). He states his date of birth as Oct 13th 1874, place of birth as Chapel Row, Falmouth. His parents are listed as John Nott and Annie Maria (nee Pope).

Did he need a copy of his birth certificate for service in the first world war?

The problem is, with all the information provided, I still couldn't find his birth registered in the GRO indexes under Nott or Knott. So I contacted Falmouth register office in 2003 and they passed it on to Truro Register office who also couldn't find it! They suggested contacting the GRO for them to look in their indexes (which I'd done myself!)

So, any ideas please?

I obtained his brother's certificate (b. 1870, Veryan) after locating the family in the census, just to double check the parents names before obtaining the marriage certificate. John Nott and Annie Maria Pope were married in 1869 at Falmouth (Wesleyan Methodist Chapel). So I have the links - but no "official" certificate for his birth in 1874!

Michelle

suedent
28-08-2007, 5:49 PM
I have a similar case, my gg-grandfather doesn't appear to have been registered. He appears with the family in 1851 aged 4 months, he was baptized in St Neot on 1 December 1850 but the only Thomas WILTON registered in either Q4 1850 or Q1 1851 is his cousin!

The same goes for my husband's grandmother, we know her birthday was the week before his mum's and have got her age from her marriage and death certificates as well as censuses but no sign of her birth being registered (and we've checked 3 years either side).

I think that some parents just forgot to register their children.

In the case of gg-grandad he was born on Bodmin Moor so I can understand his parents not to make the trek to register him, especially in November/December.

Wilkes_ml
28-08-2007, 6:27 PM
I guess I have been lucky really. I've traced all lines back to 1837 and am only missing the one birth and one marriage of direct ancestors.

Wilkes_ml
28-08-2007, 8:08 PM
No, I haven't. But I will see if I can get copies of them. It's something that i didn't get round to doing.

Wilkes_ml
28-08-2007, 8:36 PM
Thanks, that would be great! I wonder if he ever found his own birth - seems strange that the document that was passed down was just his application. I rember my step-grandmother had the same problem locating her birth - but then her "parents" were actually her grandparents! I don't think that is the case here.

Michelle

Mythology
29-08-2007, 1:36 PM
John Nott and Annie Maria Pope were married in 1869 at Falmouth (Wesleyan Methodist Chapel).

Now, there may just possibly be a hint there that a baptism might be found in the Methodist records rather than the parish registers.

suedent
29-08-2007, 1:51 PM
This looks like a sibling
Mevagissey Bible Christian 22 Sep 1870 At Parents House, Veryan William John NOTT John & Annie Maria Carpenter
Transcribed by Bill O'Reilly

No sign of Henry in the Mevagissey circuit though

Wilkes_ml
29-08-2007, 2:14 PM
Many thanks for looking.

Maybe they became baptists and got baptised as adults!! All I know (from census) is that in 1881, they were at the Old P.O. Yard ( is that Post Office Yard?) . Indexed under the surname Knott, John and Anna [sic] with five children: William John (born Veryan), Charles, Henry, Francis and Jane (born Falmouth).

In 1891 Still at Falmouth (Fish Strand Hill), John is the Quay master and toll collecter. Now they have 7 children: William John (born Veryan), Charles, Henry, Francis, Mary J, Elizabeth A and Thomas (born Falmouth).

In 1901 John and Annie are still at Falmouth! So I can't see any reason why they would have their children baptised elsewhere - unless they went back to Annie Maria's birth parish - though I doubt it very much!

Annie was born at Bodmin and Annie's family were from St. Minver. But both her parents had passed away -her sister in 1861 aged 15, her mother in 1862 aged 44 and her father in 1869 aged 51 ( occupational hazard working in a lead mine!).

So poor Annie was an orphan when she married and had kids. Though she may have had a brother still around and maybe aunts, uncles and cousins.

Henry/Harry Nott did a runner. Id on't know why, but he left beautiful Cornwall for Chiswick, Middlesex where he married in 1900.

Or mabe Mevagissey. I forgot John Nott's parents were still alive and living in Mevagissey. They lived to very old age - the benefits of fresh farm air!