PDA

View Full Version : Industrial Schools - Wandsworth Area

Christina in Oz
22-11-2004, 5:21 AM
My Grandfather Harry James Tucker aka Robert Tucker is missing on the 1901 census. Mum says at one stage he was put away for stealing apples. Does anyone have access to lists of children in Industrial/reform schools. He would have been 15 in 1901. I have checked all the ordinary listings and he is not there. I have him in 1891.
Regards
Christina

Peter Goodey
22-11-2004, 8:56 AM
Christina

If he was in an institution he should have been counted in the census.

What area are we talking about, approximately?

Peter Goodey
22-11-2004, 8:56 AM
Oh right. We have to read the subject line to find out where, do we?

Pam Downes
22-11-2004, 11:41 AM
Hi Christina,

Did Harry/Robert normally live in the Wandsworth area? There is no guarantee that he would have been in a reform home/whatever in that area. My great uncle was born in Lincolnshire but in 1881 was in the 'Reformatory or Boys Home', Wandsworth Common. Haven't yet found out why he was there, so he might have run away from home and committed a crime in London, or committed a crime in Lincolnshire and then been sent to Wandsworth from there.
I presume that you've tried all of his first names in your search for him on the 1901. Also plus/minus a year for his age. And also aged 13 and 18, in case of a mistranscription? Have you found his parents?
The London Metropolitan Archives might be able to help with the names of institutions in Wandsworth in 1901, but it may be a couple of weeks before you get a reply.
http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/leisure_heritage/libraries_archives_museums_galleries/lma/

(or if that's a bit too long do
http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation
click leisure and heritage
click libraries, archives etc,
then click London Met Archives )

One tip if searching the site for churches - you have to write 'Saint' in full - if you put 'St' you get a 'no records'.

Pam Downes

Pam Downes
30-01-2005, 3:29 AM
Hi Christina,

I've just watched the last in the short series of Mitchell and Kenyon films shown on BBC TV. (Don't know if you'll get to see them in Oz, but if so, do not miss.)
A very short mention was made of an industrial school in Manchester (area) and a 1901 census page was shown along with the comment that it wasn't just children from the North of England at the school, but there were also a lot from the south (about half the page were from Bethnal Green - London/Middx). So as I said in a previous post, do be prepared to look outside of the Wandsworth/London/Middx area for young Harry.

Pam Downes

uksearch
30-01-2005, 2:16 PM
The records for The Manchester Industrial School are held in the archives at Manchester Central Library as are the 1901 Census returns for the institution.I had look online and can't find him in 1901 so when I get a chance I'll have a look for him on the fiche at MCL.

UK

uksearch
30-01-2005, 2:47 PM
The records for The Manchester Industrial School are held in the archives at Manchester Central Library as are the 1901 Census returns for the institution.I had look online and can't find him in 1901 so when I get a chance I'll have a look for him on the fiche at MCL.

UK

I have just done a Google search on the Manchester Industrial School.There is a site which includes a list of all other Industrial Schools in the country .There are also Census returns for some of the institutions including the 1901 returns for the main boys school at Ardwick Green.

UK

melanie
23-01-2006, 10:57 PM
My Grandfather Harry James Tucker aka Robert Tucker is missing on the 1901 census. Mum says at one stage he was put away for stealing apples. Does anyone have access to lists of children in Industrial/reform schools. He would have been 15 in 1901. I have checked all the ordinary listings and he is not there. I have him in 1891.
Regards
Christina
I've only just seen your mesage so you may have your answer by now, but if it's any help, my great uncles lived in wandsworth area andwhen their father died they were sent to an industrial school 'North Surrey District School' later called Anerley school in Anerley, Surrey. It's a bit of a long shot but who knows.
good luck Melanie

wallydog
13-02-2006, 3:20 PM
Hi Christina,

I have just found one of my missing ancestors on this website: http://www.missing-ancestors.com/index.html
I was taken to the link from Ancestry.co.uk!

Good luck!