PDA

View Full Version : The Old General Pub

perrymg1953
19-08-2007, 9:34 AM
I had a relative who was landlady of "the Old General" in Nottingham in the sixties, I cannot remember any names except Laurence who played the Organ in the Pub. Can anyone help with any details please. I do know her maiden name was Titterton.

busyglen
19-08-2007, 10:07 AM
I don't know if this is of any help, but it might be worthwhile trying the breweries, to see if they have a list of the old landladies/landlords. The only problem is, a lot of the breweries have either gone or been taken over by others. Try here to see if you can get any information.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/features/2003/02/nottinghamshire_brewing_history.shtml

I might add that I don't frequent these establishments, I'm just interested in the names etc. ;) The one you mention has an interesting tale of how it's name came about. If you type it into `Google' you will find it.

Glenys

busyglen
19-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Oh, we believe you, Glenys, honest we do!!

I's shoh pleashed abhout that! |5cups|

Glenys

MarkJ
19-08-2007, 10:28 AM
I don't know if this is of any help, but it might be worthwhile trying the breweries, to see if they have a list of the old landladies/landlords. The only problem is, a lot of the breweries have either gone or been taken over by others. Try here to see if you can get any information.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/features/2003/02/nottinghamshire_brewing_history.shtml

I might add that I don't frequent these establishments, I'm just interested in the names etc. ;) The one you mention has an interesting tale of how it's name came about. If you type it into `Google' you will find it.

Glenys

When I lived in Nottingham, there were two main breweries in the area - Home Ales and Shipstones. Shippos (as they called it) closed several years ago and Home Ales was bought out by Scottish and Newcastle I believe, so it may be hard to track down records of the breweries themselves.
As a non-Nottingham person, I really hated Home Ales - and preferred the Shippos if I had to drink the beer (if possible I used to look for a pub which sold Marstons Pedigree instead) - but the locals mainly seemed to go for the Home Ales. I guess it is another one of these regional taste things.
I just mentioned to the wife (a lovely Nottingham girl) about the Old General and she said it was in Hyson Green unless there is more than one. But she doesn't know any more.

Mark

android
30-07-2008, 8:44 PM
Hi - a little belatedly i kno wbut i have Derbys Titto's in my family and there is a one-name society which may be able to help - havent been on it for a while though!

Andrea

SearchingSadler
31-07-2008, 9:10 AM
The Old General was one of my dads watering holes ;)

Apparently Lawrence was known as 'Laurie on the Lowry' (sp) who did requests ;)

Dad can only remember a landlord, who's name he thinks? was something like Ash.

My dad was in another Nottingham pub in the city centre called The Lion one night, when the woman he was with, was talking to the landlady of The Lion, she apparently use to be either the landlady of the Old G' or the wife of the landlord of the Old G, so she could've moved on, that could be somewhere else to trace?

Shippos brewery has in fact closed down, so not sure who would hold their records now.

I've spoken to my mum, who knows a couple of old family friends that frrequented the Old G' a lot ;) if she finds anything else out, I'll update you

hth

perrymg1953
06-08-2008, 4:41 AM
Many thanks for the info on The Old General, I hope to get more info on Long Service Leave perhaps 2009 Mick

daggers
06-08-2008, 8:42 AM
Why not try contacting the Campaign for Real Ale [CAMRA]. They are likely to have a Nottingham, or district, branch, and should know about such things.
Daggers

Penny Gallo
07-09-2008, 3:30 PM
the Old General pub is still there, corner of Bobbersmill Road and Radford Road, Hyson Green. It has a glazed projection above the porch which contains a statue of "The Old General", the original of which is said to have been carved in a field opposite (now built on). It does not refer to a pukka military figure but to "General" Mayo, a local 19th character who eventually expired in the workhouse. He was a self-styled soldier, and used to parade in the streets, also entering schools and declaring holidays for the boys - hence the fact that he does have a good slate tombstone erected in the churchyard off Canning Circus in grateful thanks from former boys thus released.
The pub itself was well-known for having had the first male stripper in the district, i think that was the 70s - but apparently the Landlord said that the women customers were so alarming that he wouldn't repeat the experience!