PDA

View Full Version : Royal Navy record

terryharvey2005
17-08-2007, 2:11 PM
I have just received a copy of my g grandfather’s Royal Navy record.
Firstly his date and period of C S engagement is given as 1879 although there are some entries in the period of service prior to this approximately two years. I assume this was some kind of training but would be grateful if someone can explain this. At this time his rating is given as B26 and later B16. I would also like to know what the numbers in the column ships books mean, each number is next to the name of the ship under the sub headings List and No. Lastly I would like to know why he would have changed ship so often sometimes after just a few weeks. He served on about twenty ships in ten years often returning to a ship he had previously served on. He seems to have stayed as an able seaman for the whole of his service and his conduct seems to have been good. Some of the ships he served on were HMS Implacable, HMS Minotaur, HMS Duke of Wellington, HMS Duncan, HMS Achilles.

If you can help on all or any of the points I would be grateful

Regards

Terry

keith9351
17-08-2007, 3:36 PM
If you try this site it will give you some idea what kind of ship he was serving on.

http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/18-1900/Index.html

I'm not an expert on Navy matters but I know that shore bases are named as ships, this could explain way the same names keep coming up.

HMS Implacable is shown in 1879 at Devonport. Training Ship for Boys. 14 guns

Keith

terryharvey2005
17-08-2007, 5:10 PM
Thanks Keith

An excellent Site

Regards

Terry

ChristineR
19-08-2007, 2:02 AM
If you look at the dates in the 'Period of Service" columns, that initial date is most likely when he began his training - as you say, this is some time before the date that appears on the top of the form for the date and period of CS Engagements. This will be on a training ship for boys, and they do return to their base ship from time to time. I think they may have been based there when they had leave.

My grand dad had two heights recorded, one on enlistement, the other when he turned 18. He had grown 4".

At this time his rating is given as B26 and later B16

Have a closer look at that bit - and see if it is actually B 2cl and B 1cl -meaning Boy 2nd class and Boy 1st class, the ratings they went through before becoming Ordinary Seaman. Perhaps it is the same thing, but just written different, my bloke enlisted 1899.

cheers
Christine :)

terryharvey2005
20-08-2007, 7:46 AM
Thanks Christine

On closer look it could be B2 C and B1 C maybe they left off the L or more probably I just cant read.

thanks for your help.

Terry