PDA

View Full Version : Cornwall 1841 Census Name Index

Ken Boyce
11-08-2007, 3:19 AM
Archive CD Books edition of the Cornwall 1841 Census contains a name index which was supplied by the Cornwall FHS I believe that the index was a work in progress

Does anyone know what is the current status of this index
- is the CD index now out of date
- is there an update CD or hardcopy published by the CFHS
- is there a new version of the Index published by the CFHS

Does anyone know the source of other commercial 1841 Cornwall indexes that are avail online

kenripper
12-08-2007, 7:26 AM
Hi Ken

I'm sorry that I can't help you with CD Books details but I may have another way to assist you. If you wish to contact me by e-mail, we can take this offline.

Ken Ripper
kenripper_at_btinternet.com

MarkJ
12-08-2007, 10:03 AM
You can search the 1841 census by name over at the Cornwall Online Census project.

select 1841 in the year box and away you go.
Note - read the search tips information. It makes finding someone a lot easier.

Mark

Frank W
12-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi Ken B

For anyone interested in Cornwall Census indexes or transcripts, a good place to start looking is the Cornwall Online Census Project
(This is also the URL for the Cornwall FreeCEN status pages)

There are many Cornwall Census transcript files here, which have been uploaded to the main FreeCEN database.

A birdseye view of COCP/FreeCEN coverage can be seen at my Cendexes site, (no data, but links to the transcript files on Kay's site, published with her permission)
Regards........Frank W

Frank W
12-08-2007, 10:29 AM
You can search the 1841 census by name over at the Cornwall Online Census project.

select 1841 in the year box and away you go.
Note - read the search tips information. It makes finding someone a lot easier.

Mark

Sorry, Mark. I did attempt to post a reply earlier, but lost it somehow, so didn't see your post until after my second attempt.
Regards.......Frank W

Ken Boyce
13-08-2007, 8:46 PM
Thankyou to all those that replied to my posting

What I'm interested in is who did the transcripts for the various on-line census indexes offered by the commercial companies and non-profit organizations

in the past 12months or so there have been a proliferation of census indexes appearing on-line Knowing how long it takes for Volunteers to transcribe a Surname index for one Registration County I can only assume that commercial companies must use paid transcribers. The big question is do they share these indexes or are they each offering their own transcribed indexes

Regards

MarkJ
13-08-2007, 9:19 PM
Sorry, Mark. I did attempt to post a reply earlier, but lost it somehow, so didn't see your post until after my second attempt.
Regards.......Frank W

Not a problem Frank - good to know we both use the same resources. A very good project which is very useful to people researching Cornish connections.

Mark

MarkJ
13-08-2007, 9:27 PM
Thankyou to all those that replied to my posting

What I'm interested in is who did the transcripts for the various on-line census indexes offered by the commercial companies and non-profit organizations

in the past 12months or so there have been a proliferation of census indexes appearing on-line Knowing how long it takes for Volunteers to transcribe a Surname index for one Registration County I can only assume that commercial companies must use paid transcribers. The big question is do they share these indexes or are they each offering their own transcribed indexes

Regards

I can't comment on the commercial transcriptions of censuses, but the ones mentioned by Frank and I do state the transcriber details, along with the checkers names.

Mark