PDA

View Full Version : ALLUM & AULDIS/ALDOUS Mystery

Arkwright
18-07-2007, 6:11 AM
Hi everyone....

Does anyone fancy trying to come up with a theory on a marriage for me please.

As usual I have very little to go on, but I know that's the way you like it.

I am trying to establish the wife of a gentleman named Francis Allum b. 1738 Horham. I thought I had worked it out when I found a likely marriage to an Elizabeth Auldis in 1761 in Ubbeston, Suffolk.

I'm also trying to find Elizabeths parents if indeed that is who he married.

However when I began to look for Elizabeths parents, I somehow managed to change her name to Aldous which I now believe to be incorrect.

Sorry if that's all a bit vague, but I'm sure when one of you experts casts their beady eye on the situation, you'll see where I was going.

Thank you in advance...

Arkie...

Pat English
18-07-2007, 1:43 PM
Doesn't look like that much of a mystery - they weren't that picky about spelling in those days, so her name could easily have been Aldous but mis-spelt in the marriage record.

More worrying, even if you just look at the IGI online records, there are many Elizabeth Aldous candidates of the right age in that part of Suffolk. Without knowing her age and without finding one actually in Ubbeston, her parentage is all a bit iffy.

If you go to this link you will see there IS an IGI batch of christenings of the right time for Ubbeston and there are some Aldouses, but no Elizabeth.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountySuffolk.htm#U

Girls of the right name in Fressingfield and Sibton are probably the nearest geographically to Ubbeston, but that doesn't make them any more likely, as it is a common name.

Have you had a look at the actual parish marriage record, to see if it gives any more clues?

Pat

Hi everyone....

Does anyone fancy trying to come up with a theory on a marriage for me please.

As usual I have very little to go on, but I know that's the way you like it.

I am trying to establish the wife of a gentleman named Francis Allum b. 1738 Horham. I thought I had worked it out when I found a likely marriage to an Elizabeth Auldis in 1761 in Ubbeston, Suffolk.

I'm also trying to find Elizabeths parents if indeed that is who he married.

However when I began to look for Elizabeths parents, I somehow managed to change her name to Aldous which I now believe to be incorrect.

Sorry if that's all a bit vague, but I'm sure when one of you experts casts their beady eye on the situation, you'll see where I was going.

Thank you in advance...

Arkie...

Arkwright
18-07-2007, 5:59 PM
Hi Pat

Below is the transcript of an e mail I received yesterday with regard to this family.

'All I can be sure of is that an "Elizabeth AULDIS, of this parish" is recorded in the parish records of Ubbeston, Suffolk as marrying a "Francis Allum of this parish" on 19th May 1761. The witnesses were a Robert Girling and (unreadable) Barber but neither of these surnames are linked to my tree in any way. Neither Francis nor Elizabeth were recorded as baptisms in the parish of Ubbeston either so I suspected that they were only "of this parish" in terms of their then current address rather than being born of the parish?

I do however know that my Francis Allum (bapt 25/1/1738 Horham, Suffolk) is highly likely to have had the following children (There is no other Horham area based Francis Allum that these children are likely to have been born to that I have found).

Francis 14th Feb 1762 Laxfield, Suffolk
Ami 1765 Horham
Hannah 1774 Horham
John 1775 Horham

Each of these baptisms just states parents as Francis and Elizabeth Allum. The only Francis and Elizabeth marriage I found locally tying in with this first child was that above in Ubbeston in 1761 not far away. My assumption was that they married in Elizabeth's home parish at the time living with her parents (?), moved to Laxfield not far away at time fo their first child and then moved back to Horham (Francis' birth place) for the rest of their lives.

Their burials in Horham are highly likely to be those recorded as follows - Francis 8th Aug 1816 stating "a married man" aged 78 (agreeing with 1738 birth) and Elizabeth Allum shortly after on 6th January 1817 noted as "wife of Francis Allum" shown as age 80. I could not find an Elizabeth Aldous/Auldis born in Ubbeston, Laxfield or surrounding parishes with a birth date of 1737 but I did find a baptism of 1744 in Stradbroke to Richard and Hannah Aldous. Given Francis and Elizabeth's third child's name was Hannah I took this as a likely match but of course this could be incorrect and was just a bit of circumstancial evidence.

Given that other researchers lines seem to have this Elizabeth marrying someone else (I presume proven by a marriage witness or notation that suggests this line or by being of correct date, location etc to make a more probable link) it would seem I've got the wrong Elizabeth Aldous. At these dates records are difficult so a lot of research is assumption without proof.

If you can check the logic and flow of the other Elizabeth Aldous marriage/family you should besumption was that they married in Elizabeth's home parish at the time living with her parents (?), moved to Laxfield not far away at time fo their first child and then moved back to Horham (Francis' birth place) for the rest of their lives.

However, the Elizabeth that the e mail refers to as being born in 1744 in Stradbrooke does not appear to have been married to a Francis Allum and other information I have since gathered suggests she was married to someone called Hammond Ingledow during the period she was allegedly married to Francis Allum.

Not sure if any of this information is of any use in getting to the bottom of my query but thought I'd post it anyway.

Regards
Arkie...

Arkwright
18-07-2007, 6:02 PM
Further to my last post, here is the response to my last posts theory from someone also researching Elizabeth Aldous.

'As you say Elizabeth is becoming quite a problem. However, I am sorry to say that having looked into Elizabeth AULDIS I have totally discarded her as being the Elizabeth that I for one am interested in. I believe that the difference in spelling of the surname was because there was an Elizabeth Auldis and she did marry Francis Allum but the AULDIS's and ALDOUS's are two different families.

I have reviewed the Suffolk parish registers and find that there was 2 possible leads. That is, an Elizabeth Aldous married a Robert Smith in Metfield on 27 Feb 1770 and given her age at that time (b. 17 May 1744) this was a possibility. However, another possible contender was a Richard Andrews who married an Elizabeth Aldous on 27 Jun 1764. The clincher came when I tried to confirm these marraiges in www.familysearch.org. This gave confirmation that both Robert and Richard did marry an Elizabeth Aldous.

I was not satisfied with the distinct lack of evidence proving that one or the other was the groom I was looking for so I looked further and found that Elizabeth Aldous also married an (as you indicated) a Hammond Ingledow in Abt.1766. Elizabeth's address at the time was Stradbroke, Suffolk exactly where I had her born and living at the time. To clinch the matter that this was the person I (we) had been looking for the group record also detailed the father and mother of Elizabeth who were non other than Richard Aldous and Hannah Dalliston. I therefore am convinced that the information now to hand confirms that Elizabeth was married to Hammond Ingledow.'

I appreciate that's a lot of stuff to read and digest, but if it helps at all in furthering my search for the answer to my problem then it will be worthwhile.

Arkie....

Geoffers
19-07-2007, 8:47 AM
I am trying to establish the wife of a gentleman named Francis Allum b. 1738 Horham. I thought I had worked it out when I found a likely marriage to an Elizabeth Auldis in 1761 in Ubbeston, Suffolk...However when I began to look for Elizabeths parents, I somehow managed to change her name to Aldous which I now believe to be incorrect.Do not think in terms of names being correct or incorrect. As Pat has mentioned, standards and means of spelling have changed over time. On the evidence you have presented, there is nothing to dismiss the above as being possibly correct.

The information you have seems to come from someone else - who may have interpreted the information correctly - but unless you check for yourself, you will never be able to assess its accuracy.

continued........

Geoffers
19-07-2007, 8:50 AM
part 2....

You wrote:

However, I am sorry to say that having looked into Elizabeth AULDIS I have totally discarded her as being the Elizabeth that I for one am interested in. I believe that the difference in spelling of the surname was because there was an Elizabeth Auldis and she did marry Francis Allum but the AULDIS's and ALDOUS's are two different familiesIn your shoes, the questions would want answered are how and why your informant has reached these conclusions. If you assume it to be correct without checking original records, could you just be repeating a mistake???

Geoffers

suffolk sue
22-07-2007, 3:28 PM
Knowing the Suffolk accent as I do, Auldis is exactly how the name Aldous might have been prounounced.

"Chis bor"

TerrySBaker
09-05-2008, 11:10 PM
In my experience Aldis and Aldous are one and the same family.

michaelpipe
21-05-2008, 12:51 PM
I also have Aldous and Aldis in the same families in Denham, Horham, Stradbroke and Cratfield. No question, it is simply a different spelling of the same name, depending on the original writer.