PDA

View Full Version : Pickering in London

Pauline Parnell
20-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Is anyone researching Pickerings in London? I'm starting to amass quite a lot of data about them and would love to share it with someone!
All the best,
Pauline

joops
28-12-2004, 5:43 PM
Hi Pauline

My mum's uncle was George Pickering he married Florence lee in 1917 have you come across any info on him at all please Regards julie

jepsona
30-12-2004, 5:04 PM
Pauline,

Just seen your message about Pickerings in London.

I have a Pickering family featuring strongly as a brick-wall at the moment. I'm not sure whether they were London born & bred or visiting and working for a few years. If you have any information I would be more than happy as I've been trying to track them down for quite a while !!

Some details:
John Henry PICKERING (my g-g-grandfather) married Lucy JEFFERY in 1871 in Bloomsbury and lived in and around the area having 4 children until about the 1890's. According to the Marriage Certificate John Henry was an Engraver with father Richard a Carver & Gilder. Lucy appears in the 1881 Census as a widow. This is about all I know about John Henry; I cannot find either of them in the 1871 census and I have so far failed to find a Death Certificate and have insufficient info about him to pick on a likely Birth.

Does this tie-up with any of your researches?

Regards

Andy

Pauline Parnell
03-01-2005, 7:46 PM
Hi Julie,

Do you have any more information about George? If you can get hold of his marriage certificate, which will have his father's name, I might be able to get somewhere.

All the best,

Pauline

Pauline Parnell
03-01-2005, 7:48 PM
Hi Andy,

Richard the Carver and Gilder rings a bell. I've seen that written somewhere recently, but it could take a while to work out where. I'll get back to you!

All the best,

Pauline

Pauline Parnell
06-02-2005, 3:14 PM
Hi Andy,

I've searched through everything, but I still can't find the reference to Richard Pickering. I'm convinced I've seen him somewhere. I haven't got everything on the computer yet, so maybe he'll turn up again later.

Sorry about that.

Pauline

jepsona
08-02-2005, 9:44 AM
Pauline,
Thanks for looking. Lately I have tripped-over a Richard Pickering in the 1871 census living in Liverpool who has occupation "Engraver" and he re-appears nearby in the 1881 census as "Engraver Heraldic". Not quite the Carver and Gilder I would like but it could be him. However, still no sign of the elusive John Henry ...

Regards,

Andy

Bob Campbell
19-04-2005, 7:36 PM
Pauline,
If you are researching the Pickerings of London I too have been searching for them, and have just recently posted a new thread on the pickering surname.
Briefly I have MY Elizabeth Julia PICKERING getting married to my John LEE AT Saint Mary's Newington around 1862.
Elizabeth's father was stated to be Lake PICKERING, occupation "GENT" ie didn't have to work for a living. The given name "Lake" seems to have been included in several other members of the family, and quite possibly the name of one of her witnesses George PICKERING.
A George "Lake" Pickering was christened 28th May 1843 at Saint Dunstans Stepney
Parents being George “Lake” Pickering and Letitia,
and just plain George appears in Percival Street, Clerkenwell in the 1861 census as a 40 year old widower and a jeweller with his own business, born St.Luke. Middlesex
Elizabeth PICKERING also had a brother Alfred PICKERING who shows his face in 1871 as a 42 year old photographer at 263 Camberwell Road, born in Saint Pancras Middlesex. Their mother Elizabeth PICKERING widow aged 69 and born in Guernsey is also staying with Alfred.
I have the death certificate for a Lake PICKERING who died in 1843 at Lambeth, occupation cheesemonger age 63, but no definite proof this was my Elizabeth's father yet!
I also have a birth certificate which I suspect is wrong, for Elizabeth PICKERING dated 8th June 1840 at 13 Charles Street, The Rectory of Marylebone, Middlesex, father Joseph PICKERING, servant, mother Hannah PICKERING formerly WHITE. I have noticed a similar birth registered for the same name close to the same date in London with father William but have not ordered this.
In later census "Julia" or Elizabeth puts her birthplace as being the Strand, Saint Lukes Middlesex (twice), and by 1901 as just the City!
Any connection to the PICKERINGS you are researching?
I am looking for mine in the 1841-1851 and 1861 census.
cheers
Bob in Brisbane

k_endon1
14-04-2011, 3:34 PM
Hello, My name is Kerry and I live in Western Australia. I am researching Henry Umfreville Pickering born about 1810. He is my 3rd great gtrandfather. I have a marriage to Sarah Jarvis and a census records for 1841 and 1851. Does anyone have any other info about him ? I believe he was a Carver and Gilder and he was born in Middlesex, but lived for a long time in Lambeth, Surrey, Any help would be appreciated - Thanks
Kerry

Kerrywood
14-04-2011, 4:33 PM
Hi Kerry, and welcome to the forums!

I am researching Henry Umfreville Pickering born about 1810. He is my 3rd great gtrandfather.

I believe Bob Campbell (post #8) has done some work on this family, and is now much further on than his post above would suggest.

As it's a long time since he visited the forum, you might want to send him a private message or email. Just click on his user name (in blue) to the left of his message.

Enjoy the forums! :smile5:

k_endon1
15-04-2011, 1:40 AM
Dear Kerrywood,

Thanks for the information. I will try to contact Bob Campbell, but it has beenYEARS since his posts and he may have a different email. Nevertheless, I will try.
My Pickering ancestor is Henry 'Umfreville' Pickering. I wonder what the "Umfreville" means? I know it is an old Name in english history. Henry was married to a Sarah Jarvis, who I have listed as born In Malta. Although, that isn't veried as absolutely true, yet. I am about to purchas their marriage certificate that I found through Ancestry.com. I hope it will shed light on Henry.

Thank You Again, if I can assist you in some way with your search let me know

Kerry:flowers:

Kerrywood
15-04-2011, 8:02 AM
I'm in regular contact with Bob Campbell, so if you can't contact him in the way suggested, please let me know. :smile5:

Bob Campbell
15-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Hello, My name is Kerry and I live in Western Australia. I am researching Henry Umfreville Pickering born about 1810. He is my 3rd great gtrandfather. I have a marriage to Sarah Jarvis and a census records for 1841 and 1851. Does anyone have any other info about him ? I believe he was a Carver and Gilder and he was born in Middlesex, but lived for a long time in Lambeth, Surrey, Any help would be appreciated - Thanks
Kerry

Kerry

Hope you receive this okay,
have a great deal more information regarding Henry Umfreville Pickerings family, which I can share with you,
Am also in Australia,
you can contact me direct via .....rcampbell3 at optusnet dot com dot au (just make the appropriate changes)
cheers
Bob