PDA

View Full Version : Help !!

lizzee66
16-07-2007, 7:23 AM
Hello from not so sunny NZ. Could some kind person do a lookup for me ? I am looking for James Stapleton born 1855/56 in nottm. I have found him living with his 2 older brothers still in nottm in 1871. I cant seem to find him in 1861, I assume he is with his parents somewhere. They are John and Hannah Stapleton. I have found his 2 older brothers living with their grandparents in 1861, but no younger brother or parents ? Thankyou Lizz

Peter Goodey
16-07-2007, 10:09 AM
nottm?

I suspect that SKS would appreciate full details of all relevant players such as ages and birth places and an indication of where you would expect to find them.

lizzee66
16-07-2007, 10:24 AM
I would expect to find them in Nottm, In the Hucknall Torkard area. James was born 1855/6 and would be approx 5yrs old, and his parents John approx 39, Hannah approx 38. Could possibly be in the Kirkby in Ashfield area. Many thanks. Lizz

Peter Goodey
16-07-2007, 11:07 AM
You will get on much better if you use conventional abbreviations or preferably write things out in full. "Nottm" means nothing. If I was guessing I would have guessed Nottingham but obviously that wasn't what you mean.

I'm afraid I won't be searching for it but someone will probably volunteer.

What was the father's occupation and birthplace? I can see a John and Hannah STAPLETON in Eastwood. John is shown as a FWK b Greasley. There is a Joseph age 6 but I have only looked at the index.

Is your James Stapleton this one? -
Births Sep 1856 Stapleton James Basford 7b 79

If so perhaps you don't need to worry too much about where exactly he was in 1861.

lizzee66
16-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks for your patience. Am I to assume that Kirky in Ashfield and Hucknall Torkard are not in Nottingham ? I thought Nottm was short for Nottingham ?

Mutley
16-07-2007, 11:13 PM
I can see why you have a problem, I cannot see him. anywhere in 1861
The only one in Nottinghamshire that keeps coming up is this one but he is too old.
I have a Hannah that also calls herself every variation of Ann you can imagine but still the ages for them all is way out. For what it is worth:-

Name: James Stapleton
Estimated birth year: abt 1846
Relation: Son
Father's name: John
Mother's name: Ann
Where born: Hill Top, Nottinghamshire, England

Civil parish: Greasley
County/Island: Nottinghamshire

Registration district: Basford
Sub-registration district: Greasley
ED, institution, or vessel: 12

Household Members: Name Age
Ann Stapleton 52
George Stapleton 18
James Stapleton 15
John Stapleton 57
Sarah Ann Stapleton 10
William Stapleton 12
Class: RG9; Piece: 2434; Folio: 98; Page: 16

Mutley
16-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Huh Huh, Just maybe we have a wrong transcription here,
On looking for Hannah, this lot appear!! Ages much closer and just possible that Jowfsh is actually James???

Name: Hannah Stapleton
Estimated birth year: abt 1822
Relation: Wife
Spouse's name: John
Where born: Greasley, Nottinghamshire, England

Civil parish: Eastwood
Ecclesiastical parish: Eastwood
County/Island: Nottinghamshire

Registration district: Basford
Sub-registration district: Greasley
ED, institution, or vessel: 6

Household Members: Name Age
Amy E Stapleton 3
Hannah Stapleton 39
John Stapleton 37
Jowfsh Stapleton 6
Lydia Stapleton 10 Mo
Maria Stapleton 13
William Stapleton 11
Class: RG9; Piece: 2431; Folio: 121; Page: 25

Don't know what you will get but have tried to email it to you.
Regards Mutley

MarkJ
16-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks for your patience. Am I to assume that Kirky in Ashfield and Hucknall Torkard are not in Nottingham ? I thought Nottm was short for Nottingham ?

They are in Nottinghamshire - usually abbreviated to Notts. Nottingham is a city in Nottinghamshire and is often abbreviated to Nottm.
Hucknall Torkard is now called simply Hucknall and is almost absorbed into Nottingham city itself.
http://www.hucknall-torkard.com/ is a website which gives a little information about it.
Kirkby in Ashfield is a little further North from Hucknall.
http://www.oldnotts.co.uk/kirkby/index.htm gives some information about Kirkby. If you go to the Multimap link there and zoom out a little, you can see the relevant locations of Nottingham city, Hucknall and Kirkby in Ashfield.

My own disclaimer - I lived in Nottingham for several years and married a Nottingham girl :)

Mark

lizzee66
17-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Thankyou Mutley, I got that image. It is one I already have, but I dont think it is them. My reason in saying that is there is another John and Hannah Stapleton who lived in the same area and they are of similar ages. I know that James had an older brother named William Born approx 1849, however I have found him living with his grandparents in nearby Kirkby in Ashfield, and if he is with grandparents that would make 2 Williams in the same family ? This family are really beginning to bug me, But thanks for the other information, I will go through it to see if I have missed something. Lizz

And thankyou to Mark for the Geography lesson.

MarkJ
17-07-2007, 1:22 AM
And thankyou to Mark for the Geography lesson.

No problem - it isn't always easy to understand the layout of places which are many thousands of miles from where you are located. I hope the links I mentioned will assist with setting the general area into context with your search.

Cheers,
Mark

Peter Goodey
17-07-2007, 7:44 AM
Jowfsh Stapleton 6
This is the Joseph I mentioned in an earlier message (Jowfsh???)

It is vaguely possible that the abbreviations Jas and Jos became confused somewhere along the line which is why I mentioned it.

Mutley
17-07-2007, 10:49 AM
This is the Joseph I mentioned in an earlier message (Jowfsh???)

That's why I really thought I had found him Peter, both yours and mine are registered in Basford. However, if they are not Lizzie's lad we are both barking up the wrong tree. :)

Mind you, I do have a child who was entered on both parents and grandparents census return. Mum had 11 children and obviously did not know who was where on the census night. :confused:

I suppose the only confirmation would be mother's maiden name on birth certificate of Jowfsh???

Regards, Mutley

lizzee66
17-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Hello and a very big thankyou for taking the time and effort on this one. I have come to the conclusion that this looks like the only probable family and I will have to obtain a birth cert for Joseph or jowfsh or even James, or maybe even one of the other children listed here. And as you said maybe with that many kids mum and dad forgot who was where and even what their names were !!! It helps sometimes to have someone else's perspective on a stumbling block. Lizz