PDA

View Full Version : Tribal and FTM

Mutley
08-07-2007, 12:43 AM
I would like to have a personal family tree web page just for the use of my family. It is getting more and more difficult to share information between us easily with each new snippet found!.

I store my information in Family Tree Maker 2005 and am considering buying the premium package of Tribal Pages for about 15.00 per year and up loading my gedcom files.

I am not that computer literate, I need an easy route, so has anybody tried this or have any alternative advice. |help|

Thanks
Mutley

Peter
24-11-2007, 8:34 PM
I would like to have a personal family tree web page just for the use of my family. It is getting more and more difficult to share information between us easily with each new snippet found!.

I store my information in Family Tree Maker 2005 and am considering buying the premium package of Tribal Pages for about 15.00 per year and up loading my gedcom files.

I am not that computer literate, I need an easy route, so has anybody tried this or have any alternative advice. |help|

Thanks
Mutley

Provided you keep it password protected, it is there for all the people you wish to see it. If the password gets into the public domain, then it can be changed.

I do have an open site written using HTML, but I am not able to show as much detail as the tribal site does.

Peter

Mutley
24-11-2007, 10:35 PM
I did it, I don't regret it, it works, the family are delighted.

I just have to find the time to keep feeding it because they now email me to say I have not added recently.

The grandchildren use it as a calendar for all the birthdays and events of the living relatives. The say it is better than a diary so I have gained some brownie points from the younger generation.;)

v.wells
24-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Mutley
I have been reading this thread with great interest. Did you password protect it? Or does anyone really care. I would imagine that one would remove any living date of birth and just leave the place names in (no real addresses).

Ed Bradford
25-11-2007, 12:08 AM
I have a free web site through Roots Web. I keep most of my family history on it so that it can be accessed by anyone. However, I do, from time to time, create a page on the site that isn't linked to by any other page. You have to know the path to get to it. It's not 100% secure but is sufficient for my needs and the price is right.
...........Ed

Mutley
25-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Hello,
Tribal Pages suits me fine. I paid my 12.00 sterling per year for a website without any advertisements. I can save the ged.com file and they also have it on their files in case I lose it on my PC.

I have been able to make it have bells and whistles (music and pictures) to make the grand kids happy. I have uploaded certificates, newspaper articles, photographs, census images etc.

It is password protected because it includes the living and recent additions to the family but if you wish to hide them and make it open to other researchers you can.

I did recently receive an email though them from someone researching the same name that wanted access. I was able to email them back and discover that they did not have anything to do with my family. However, I let them look 'cos she seemed a nice lady;)

I do not have it with the hope that relatives find me, I merely use it as a tool so that any family member can 'look up' rather than I have to keep emailing them all to say I have added something. If they want to know what I have found they can pop in whenever!! Suits me fine....

v.wells
25-11-2007, 1:03 AM
Ed

Does the Roots Web work in the same way as Tribal pages? I do not want to learn how to do HTML pages.

Vanessa

Ed Bradford
25-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Vanessa,
The free pages at Roots Web requires HTML. You'd have to us a software package like Dreamweaver or Front Page which would enable you to create the page in some other format and then convert it to HTML. The free pages does come with a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) application built in but I find it difficult to use.
.............Ed

v.wells
25-11-2007, 4:26 PM
I will take all this into consideration and search out a few more. Thanks everyone

arthurk
25-11-2007, 8:40 PM
Rootsweb pages do have to be in HTML, but there are a number of ways to produce these. Some people write their own pages entirely form scratch, or as Ed mentioned, you can use a web page creator program. (Some of these work in HTML, some in their own native format, which they then convert to HTML.) A third possibility is that most family history programs are able to create websites, though you generally have less control over the exact content and output than if you do it some other way. Finally, there are standalone programs which can convert a GEDCOM file produced by a FH program into HTML webpages.

Arthur