PDA

View Full Version : The future of Brit-Gen is secure

Rod Neep
06-07-2007, 4:14 PM
As many of you will know, I am winding down (well a little) and taking semi retirement. I am therefore pleased to announce that Pam Drake (of Parish Chest (http://www.parishchest.com)) is taking over British-Genealogy.com in its entirety. That's the web pages and the forums.

Also, on the up-side, British-Genealogy.com will have a new server to replace the current one which is very tired and creaky. That will solve all sorts of other niggly problems with the forums and emails. The move to a new server will take a little while to set up, (it should be completed within a few weeks) and there won't be any down-time.

Essentially... everything will continue as usual. :)

Rod

peter nicholl
06-07-2007, 4:37 PM
Bless you my son. Good on you. Enjoy a happy semi, yeah, like as if you won't!

Peter

Ladkyis
06-07-2007, 4:58 PM
phew! now we can make plans for the future - I have no idea why I said that it just sounded like the sort of thing you say when you have been holding your breath waiting for the other shoe to drop

Neil Wilson
06-07-2007, 5:43 PM
Hi Rod

Thanks for this and many thanks to Pam for taking the forum over.

May Rod have a happy semi retirements and hope to see you up in Derbyshire sometime.
Hope that Pam will not have the heartache that you have had, with the denial of service attacks.
Good luck to both of you
Neil

Copper
06-07-2007, 5:44 PM
I am relieved that the web pages and forum are here to stay. Even better is the news that this can be achieved with Rod enjoying retirement :)

Heather
06-07-2007, 6:33 PM
Rod.....I hope this also means that the mail list will be fixed. I keep getting web error every time I try to go into my List. Nothing new on there since March. And I can't fix it.

But enjoy your semi-retirement. You will find you will be busier than ever.

Best....Heather |biggrin|

Dennis Harker
06-07-2007, 6:38 PM
Rod,

Thank you - your efforts have been much appreciated. For me they have produced results.

Enjoy your semi-retirement.

arthurk
06-07-2007, 6:50 PM
Sounds good! Congratulations on what looks like an excellent outcome for all concerned.

Arthur

Ladkyis
06-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Yeah for us! It is good to know that Rod's good work will be continued by people who are every bit as nice as he is.

Having met Pam and Frank at several FH fairs - and shared a chinese buffet with them (but that's a whole other story) I can put my hand on my heart and say that they really are two |hug| of the lovliest people it has been my pleasure to know. I look forward to a long and happy forum life and Rod will get to do some research and some chatting too - fantastic!|jumphappy

Pam Downes
07-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Oh go on. Admit it. You all read Rod's message and then sat there with a big grin on your face, with your feet doing a little dance, while you read the rest of the thread. :D
I'd just like to add name to the list of congratulations, thank you and good luck for the future being sent to Rod, Pam and Frank.
Now everybody, party! |woohoo| |woohoo|
Pam

Procat
07-07-2007, 1:56 AM
Excellent news for all concerned. :)

As far as Rod's semi retirement I ordered several CDs a couple of weeks ago and I think they turned faster than ever before.

Perhaps there is more "semi" than "retirement". :D

AnnB
07-07-2007, 6:50 AM
I'd like to add my best wishes to both Rod and Pam and raise a glass or three to you both |5cups|

Very best wishes
Ann

Neil Wilson
07-07-2007, 2:34 PM
It was a great pleasure to meet Rod today, and for those of you who do not know him personally, may I say that he is a true gentleman and a wonderful person, .Must have been a different Rod Neep who I met at a Derbysgen Get Together about 4 years ago |laugh1|

Yes, you are right Pam, he is a true gentleman, there isn't many of us left

Ed Bradford
07-07-2007, 4:28 PM
Rod, I hope that this doesn't mean that you'll become a stranger to the forum. Your advice over the years has been a help to us all.

Now about this retirement you've mentioned. Someone that goes to new product introductions isn't really thinking about retiring. Especially when the price of the new model can be more than a new auto. So how much "semi" is actually in the retirement?

...................Ed

Ladkyis
07-07-2007, 7:23 PM
golf is good! Fresh air and exercise, excellent!

one day I'll tell you the story of how I accompanied my husband round the golf course for fifteen and a half holes of golf. Lots of walking, lots of poking in long grass for golf balls, lots of muttering by Mr M and lots of stifled laughter by me.

sandiep
07-07-2007, 8:28 PM
Congratulations Rod.........you could take up family history now!!!!!!!!!!

sandie

MarkJ
08-07-2007, 12:38 PM
I shall be seeing the techies tomorrow about upgrading this site (well, you didn't think I was going to try and do it myself, did you?) and I would very much like to know what you would like to see here. I know that you want the mailing lists back, but is there anything else? This is your forum, so I really would appreciate your input.

Myself, I am quite happy with the various forum options we have currently - but there may be things I haven't thought of! The mailing list is a popular request, as you mention, so that would be good to see back.
On a more technical front, more capacity would be important. Quite often, we try to log in and are informed that the "server is busy" - it has been a topic of discussion many times. This is despite the fact that the server can theoretically handle quite large numbers of connections. I suspect these problems are a result of large connection attempts by automated spambots - I have seen similar issues before on forums I have administered. There are various methods to combat them, depending on the server type and forum software - it would be great if you can get the "techies" to incorporate as much anti-spammer stuff as possible to combat this as well as the odd spam post which does creep in.

Cheers,
Mark

Mutley
08-07-2007, 2:27 PM
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/sararhcp/Emoticon/bye2.gif Rod, Look forward to you joining our threads.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q108/marj69/Smileys/golfer_1.gif Enjoy http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z167/Angelinoi/Emoticon/guitar.gif

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z167/Angelinoi/Emoticon/thankyou.gif

Regards,
Mutley

Mutley
08-07-2007, 2:28 PM
I shall be seeing the techies tomorrow about upgrading this site (well, you didn't think I was going to try and do it myself, did you?) and I would very much like to know what you would like to see here. I know that you want the mailing lists back, but is there anything else? This is your forum, so I really would appreciate your input.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/sararhcp/Emoticon/welcomeani.gif

Hello Bo Peep, Nice to meet you.
A thank you smilie would be lovely seeing as we get so much help from the people on this forum.
I would also love a 'Today's Posts' without having to log out to see if I have missed any.

Regards
Mutley

Pam Downes
08-07-2007, 2:58 PM
I shall be seeing the techies tomorrow about upgrading this site (well, you didn't think I was going to try and do it myself, did you?) and I would very much like to know what you would like to see here. I know that you want the mailing lists back, but is there anything else? This is your forum, so I really would appreciate your input.What have I missed regarding the 'want the mailing lists back'? Surely having a forum and mailing lists is an unnecessary duplication of space? And can only lead to Admin having to do twice as much monitoring? I remember Rod switching from the mailing lists to the forum because of spam, and spam has got much worse since then.
(Apologies if I'm asking stupid questions, but I fully admit to being the biggest computer dimbo in the world. :) )
Pam

Pam Downes
08-07-2007, 3:05 PM
I should add that I quite like the forum idea anyway. If I want to look at the posts for a subject other than the usual ones I look at it is so easy with the forum. Bit of a hassle with mailing lists having to sign up for each separate one.
Pam

Procat
08-07-2007, 3:12 PM
Hi Pam,

I think by "Mailing List" they are referring to the ability for an email to be generated notifying you when someone has responded to a thread that you have posted to. (I am quite prepared to be corrected here).

This disappeared some time ago due to server problems and I for one would like to see it resurface.

Heather
08-07-2007, 3:45 PM
I shall be seeing the techies tomorrow about upgrading this site (well, you didn't think I was going to try and do it myself, did you?) and I would very much like to know what you would like to see here. I know that you want the mailing lists back, but is there anything else? This is your forum, so I really would appreciate your input.I would dearly love to see my Cumberland Mailing List working once again. I had a good bunch on there and it hasn't worked since early March. I keep getting Web Error every time I try to fix or change anything.

I am not a Forum fan, and do prefer Mailing Lists. So add another vote to bring them back up. I am assuming that there are others that are not functioning as they should.

Thanks.....Heather (List Admin for CUL)

Pam Downes
08-07-2007, 3:53 PM
Hi Pam,

I think by "Mailing List" they are referring to the ability for an email to be generated notifying you when someone has responded to a thread that you have posted to. (I am quite prepared to be corrected here).

This disappeared some time ago due to server problems and I for one would like to see it resurface.Until someone corrects you :D I'll say say 'thank you Procat'.
(I did say my techie knowledge was zero!)
Pam

MarkJ
08-07-2007, 4:00 PM
Isn't it the "subscribe to this thread" tool which is used to set up those mails? From memory, if you "subscribed" to a thread, you were mailed if a new post was made to it. Handy if you are away on holiday or something - you can see which of the threads of interest to you received posts whilst you were away. Then you could read those first, before delving into the rest of the forum :)

Mark

Davran
08-07-2007, 5:53 PM
As many of you will know, I am winding down (well a little) and taking semi retirement. I am therefore pleased to announce that Pam Drake (of Parish Chest) is taking over British-Genealogy.com in its entirety. That's the web pages and the forums.
Rod
|woohoo| |woohoo|

Great news!!! And a huge thank you to Rod for giving us the means of talking to each other and learning so much over the years. Long may it continue! Happy golfing, Rod, and a big welcome to Pam, as well. |wave|

Ladkyis
08-07-2007, 7:15 PM
The mailing lists were county ones which were the first real UK based mailing lists and some FH Societies had their own lists on Brit-Gen so that their members had a quick way to contact one another. A lot of senior members - and by that I mean they have been members of societies for more than 20 years or so - do not like using a forum - they are very wary about using a computer - and are just beginning to be comfortable with a mailing list. I would like to see the mailing lists fixed so that we can encourage the more reluctant members to try the forum and see how easy it is.

Heather
08-07-2007, 7:15 PM
Until someone corrects you :D I'll say say 'thank you Procat'.
(I did say my techie knowledge was zero!)
PamWelcome Pam......and the Mailing Lists are quite separate from these Forums. You will see on the website (assuming they are still there) that there are Mailing Lists for every county, and more.

I am still on Mailing Lists for Rootsweb ones and much prefer them. Personal preference, of course. But they were how Rod started out with Brit-Gen.

OOPS.....I will have to take that back. I went to the main website where I had seen them just a week ago and they are now gone. It simply says the following....which does not make me a happy camper!! Off to find another List then. I was never notified they were going or why.

Heather (the former List Admin for Cumberland)

Mailing list administrators

This page contains information for the mailing list administrators.

Little, if any, of this page will be of interest to normal users of the mailing lists.

The British-Genealogy.com mailing lists have now been replaced by a much more efficient format

See here for the British-genealogy.com forums (http://../forums)

Geoffers
08-07-2007, 7:48 PM
What have I missed regarding the 'want the mailing lists back'? Surely having a forum and mailing lists is an unnecessary duplication of space? And can only lead to Admin having to do twice as much monitoring?
I agree - I cannot see the need for both mailing lists and forums.

Personally I prefer the forums. One place to look for information - not two.

The forum moderators have the ability to amend titles of threads so that they make more sense.

Geoffers

Neil Wilson
08-07-2007, 8:03 PM
Hi

My viewpoint is Forum with email notifier, if you subscribed to a particular thread.

Thought the forum overtook the Brit-gen mailing lists and that it wasn't being used enough compared to the Forum. Personally, I find hundreds of Rootsweb mailing lists and yahoo groups emails enough to read. Then I come 'home' to the
friendliness Forum around.

Rod Neep
08-07-2007, 8:20 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, can I please suggest that you give Pam some settling in time before making suggestions for changes and "improvements" to the system.

1. Some things will be cured by having a new server
2. Some things are difficult or inconvienient to do
3. Some things are not possible to do, due to software limitations.

This is the same approach that I have taken over the years. Pam will also be learning which suggestions will fit into which of the above categories.
Regards
Rod

Ladkyis
08-07-2007, 9:23 PM
In a small voice

well, she did ask

so we answered

Mutley
08-07-2007, 9:25 PM

The question was asked and..........
Rod, you encouraged us to answer questions!!!

I'd like 100 smilies, my family tree sorted, to see little piccies of everyone, for the sun to shine during the day and to rain at night, to win the lottery and for
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n252/brandygirl_7/fantasy/pigfly.gif
Meanwhile, I am happy to wait for Pam to sort herself out and am just so pleased the forum continues in any format.

Regards
Mutley

Ladkyis
08-07-2007, 11:48 PM
I want what mutley wants only I want my family tree not his - if that makes sense.

I think we are all so delighted that the forum is not going to disappear that we are burbling with happiness. It doesn't matter how long it takes to upgrade update and get the techies in. We are revelling in the fact that there will be a forum for the techies to get into and do things to.

It wasn't until the announcement was made that the forum will continue that I realised just how much I would miss it and how much I had been dreading the day when it closed - woo hoo |woohoo| we still have a forum!

We can be patient but this weekend we have been all excited. We'll be good tomorrow hee hee!

Procat
08-07-2007, 11:52 PM
In a small voice

well, she did ask

so we answered

:D :D :D

Pam Downes
09-07-2007, 12:44 AM
And I know Rod said we mustn't but

In a small voice

well, she did ask

so we answeredcould I please put in a request for the smilies to be kept? Especially |rant| . That one makes me laugh so much.
Pam
(Can't even sign myself Pam D to distinguish from 'Boss Pam'. :) Any sensible suggestions anyone? Unless I put
'Pam (favourite smilie |rant| ' so I can have a giggle every time I post a message. :D)

IreneH
09-07-2007, 2:25 AM
Great news about the forum. I've been away and have only just logged back on. Been telling everyone about the site. How useful it is and how friendly everyone is, so its good to hear that it will still be about.
|jumphappy

Welcome to Pam|hug|
and enjoy your golf Rod |cheers|

Irene

Pam Downes
09-07-2007, 3:38 PM
Hi Pam (great name)

Please keep your name and I will stay as Bo Peep. Most people who know me would say that name is very appropriate seeing that I raise orphan lambs.Hi Bo Peep (great name :) )
Deal, thank you.
My main concern was that the forum members would get us confused. And whilst you would be able to answer a question someone asked me, I just wouldn't have a clue about anything you were asked. :D
Pam

Mutley
09-07-2007, 10:50 PM
To Pam and Pam,

To avoid confusion can we have little piccies of senior members please,

Bo-Peep can have a lamb.
Pam can have a |rant|

And as Mutley's other half looks after rescued donkeys I will have
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/nokomis2007/donkey.gif

Annie
09-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Wow that's quick work!
Just got a post notification for this thread!

Well done Bo Peep :)

Heather
09-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Wow that's quick work!
Just got a post notification for this thread!

Well done Bo Peep :)
Me too.....wondered what in heck it was, lol.

Lottie
09-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Greetings Friends

First email advice I have had for months !!
|jumphappy

Thanks Rod for all you hard work with the Forum. May ACDB continue to thrive, but that you also enjoy your semi-retirement |hug|

Welcome Pam ( Bo-Peep )|angel|

Thanks for taking us on. We are not a bad bunch :D

Lottie ( aka Helen )

Downunder in New Zealand

MarkJ
10-07-2007, 12:05 AM
To Pam and Pam,

Bo-Peep can have a lamb.
Pam can have a |rant|

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/nokomis2007/donkey.gif

Seriously, you really would not want one of me! Unless you wanted to frighten youngsters at Hallowe'en!

Mark :)

Pam Downes
10-07-2007, 1:12 AM
To Pam and Pam,

Bo-Peep can have a lamb.
Pam can have a |rant|

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/nokomis2007/donkey.gifIt's no good you fluttering your eyelashes at us like that Mutley!
The problem with me having the rant character as a piccie is that he's nothing like me in real life. (Well, except when I get stuck behind/see idiot drivers. :D )
I'm nearly always :D x3 (machinery won't let me put in any more smilie symbols).
As for a real piccie I suppose I could fish out the one of me and my perm, and Mark and I could be the first entries in a new thread called something like 'Fright night'. eeek!
Pam

busyglen
14-07-2007, 8:44 PM
Wow! I come back from a weeks (wet) holiday and found this thread.....what a fantastic welcome! |woohoo|

So glad that you can now take it easy Rod and enjoy your retirement in the knowledge that the forum will be in the good hands of Bo Peep. :)

Also....pleased to see the thread mail is now back....I wasn't expecting any, so my `in box' was really full when I opened it up tonight.

All best wishes.

Glenys

Diane Grant-Salmon
15-07-2007, 2:25 PM
Good grief! I have just checked in for the first time since the 30 March, (moved house on 2 April and the garden was a jungle, so that's what I've been doing amongst other things) and I have 498 new posts! :eek: No chance of reading through that lot, so I'm not even going to try. ;)

I didn't know anything about this, until I read Pam's Rabbit Page this morning, on the Cornish Forefathers Society web site, so thanks for the tip-off Pam.

Anyway, I just had to check in to say, 'Enjoy yourself Rod, you will wonder now how you ever had time to work, seeing as you will be so busy enjoying your semi-retirement playing golf etc.' ;)

Great news Pam, I'm so pleased for you and Frank and thanks for keeping the forum going, I will check in once a day from now on ..... promise! :D

MarkJ
15-07-2007, 2:30 PM
Great news Pam, I'm so pleased for you and Frank and thanks for keeping the forum going, I will check in once a day from now on ..... promise! :D

Yep, none of that Cornish "dreckly" stuff! ;)

Mark

MarkJ
15-07-2007, 2:53 PM
Me too Pam ;) It drives my wife mad - she is not Cornish though!

Docwras
01-09-2007, 5:57 AM
OOPS.....I will have to take that back. I went to the main website where I had seen them just a week ago and they are now gone. It simply says the following....which does not make me a happy camper!! Off to find another List then. I was never notified they were going or why.

Heather (the former List Admin for Cumberland)

Being a rare visitor to the Forum these days due to workload, I wasn't aware until just now that the forum management had changed, but Rod, I hope you have a happy (semi) retirement - you've surely earned it. Thank you for all you've done for us over the years.
|cheers|

Like Heather (see above) I'm rather surprised no-one thought to mention to List Admins that the lists were being scrapped... a courtesy surely? |scold|

Also, my Inbox is being invaded by announcements from the Parish Chest News to which I have not subscribed, and for which the unsubscribe procedure at the end of each mail does not work. Perhaps someone could poke that part of the system with a sharp stick and stop the wretched things coming please? If I want to receive emails from the forum I'll subscribe, until then I don't want them. Grumble over!

Neil Wilson
01-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Like Heather (see above) I'm rather surprised no-one thought to mention to List Admins that the lists were being scrapped...
Prehaps Rod /Pam could clarify something for me, I thought the B-G lists died a death about 3-4 years ago, well it did for Derbyshire.
There is another mailing list setup at Rootsweb, which I know that Rod was signed up to at one point (Derbysgen) having met him at one of the get togethers we have. There are so many resources/ list out there any newcomer is spoilt for choice.

Neil Wilson
01-09-2007, 1:13 PM
Hi Neil,

You are correct. Rod did disable the mailing lists quite some time ago. I have asked Toby if we can think about re-instating them, but that will very much depend how many people would actually want to subscribe to them. From what I have heard, most people seem to prefer the forum.
Hi Bo
Yes I refer the forum, it is not specific to one county/family name, although I do enjoy Derbysgen mailing list, which is just as friendly as this forum.

Rod Neep
01-09-2007, 3:15 PM
Hi Neil,

You are correct. Rod did disable the mailing lists quite some time ago. I have asked Toby if we can think about re-instating them, but that will very much depend how many people would actually want to subscribe to them. From what I have heard, most people seem to prefer the forum.

Well.... aaactually.... I didn't disable the mailing lists. :)
All of the English county mailing lists were still up and running on the old server, as well as Archive CD Books lists, and several others.

Rod

arthurk
01-09-2007, 3:56 PM
Having started out with Rootsweb mailing lists (and still using them) I thought I'd never get used to a forum, but I'm now happy with both. However, it occurred to me a little while ago whether there might be scope for a different kind of mailing list: limited membership, and possibly private.

To give an example, I'm collaborating with about half a dozen others on one family that we all descend from, and a list would probably be more efficient than sending out individual emails. It's not a big enough study to warrant a forum, although there are a few experiments with blogs. In this particular case I think something else might be about to happen, but is this the sort of thing that B-G could host? And would there be a demand for it?

Arthur

Heather
01-09-2007, 4:00 PM
Well.... aaactually.... I didn't disable the mailing lists. :)
All of the English county mailing lists were still up and running on the old server, as well as Archive CD Books lists, and several others.

Rod

Actually, my Cumberland List was inaccessible as of late March, but I was not made aware of it from an official standpoint. That would have been appreciated, instead of me having to write email after email to find out what was wrong....but I never did receive an answer, Rod.

I, for one, vastly prefer Lists over Forums and hope that they will be reinstalled. I had quite a large one, albeit fairly quiet.....but we can certainly go to another one if we have to. |banghead|

Heather - CUL List Admin

Heather
01-09-2007, 4:11 PM
Give me some time, Heather, and Toby and his team will try and set it all up for you. The mailing system is one thing I have no intention of messing with!

Thanks Bo Peep.....I can only hope we can resurrect the membership as well. I absolutely cannot access anything (as List Admin) other than the Membership List and the Archives. The whole thing is truly broken!! :confused:

Best....Heather

Heather
01-09-2007, 4:19 PM
Toby is a genius with software and I am certain he will sort out all the problems. If everything goes to plan, Toby and the team will be starting work on Brit-Gen in a couple of weeks.

SUPER!! Thanks, Bo Peep, I appreciate that. :D

Heather

Burrow Digger
22-09-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm sorry I havent been here for several months, but I have a few brick walls in my family trees and just no $$$ to pay for a professional.

Then out of the blue I just got this email today that says Rod is retiring. Took a while to get back to the forum, but am reassured to know that ACDB Canada will not be closing - they do a very good service.

Good luck Rod.

BD