PDA

View Full Version : Mollett / Gaul / Woods Surnames, Norfolk

arquebus
17-11-2004, 8:36 PM
Apart from Geoffers' kind efforts, we haven't had a lot of luck with our other posts, so I wonder if anyone can help with these three names, please?

Annie Maria Mollett married John Alfred Woods.1903 Norwich...looking for both them and their and ancestors.

Ruth Florence Gaul born c?1910-1915? married Frank William Woods from Norwich.

Thanks Glynis.

Geoffers
17-11-2004, 11:33 PM
I wonder if anyone can help with these three names, please? Annie Maria Mollett married John Alfred Woods.1903 Norwich...looking for both them and their and ancestors. Ruth Florence Gaul born c?1910-1915? married Frank William Woods from Norwich.
Have you managed to get their marriage certificate yet? If so, what are the ages and occupations of bride + groom + fathers? I take it you've found them on the 1901 census?

In case you aren't aware, there is an online surname index to the 1891 census for Norfolk on Paddy Apling's wesbsite at:
http://apling.freeservers.com/CensusInfo.htm

This shows Molletts at; Brundall, Gorleston, Norwich St.Andrew, Norwich St.Clement and Surlingham

If you want to find out the full entry, the indexers offer limited lookups for specific people. Get the full class/piece refernce and also the folio/piece number from the individual parish index; click on the indexer's name (near the top of each parish index page) and send him/her details of what you've got plus the reference., you'll get a reply with the entry, if found.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Pam Downes
17-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Hi Glynis,

Without some idea of John's age I wouldn't attempt to search any census because of Woods being such a common name, so the first thing to do is to send for the marriage certifcate for John and Annie. Hopefully this will give John's correct age and his father's name, and then you could perhaps go back and trace him/them on census. Finding John on a census will then hopefully give you a correct birthplace so that you will then be able to pinpoint the correct John Woods on the GRO Index and send for his birth certficate.
Meanwhile I've been able to find who I think will be your Annie on the 1901 census. RG13/1840 folio 68 page 23
Swan Yard Norwich, parish of St Peter per Mountergate
Alice Mollett, head, mar, 43 charwoman, born Bramerton, Norfolk
Annie Mollett, daur, s, 17, born Norwich
Can't read her occupation very well as it has lots of over-writing but the last bit looks like scraper.
I then took a chance that Alice might have been married in 1881 so off to www.familysearch.org. Yes, she's married, already has 3 children and hubby is also listed. (Will leave you to fill in the details.)
Walter is still alive in 1901- RG13/1841 folio 30 page 21.
15 St Michael's Square, Norwich, parish of St Michael at Thorn. His details are boarder, single, 42, malster, born Norwich.
Had trouble finding Annie on the 1891, but finally found her. RG12/1524/18/2 parish of St Julian, Norwich. I think the actual address is 1. a yard in St Anns Lane , as opposed to 1a, yard in St Anns Lane.
Family is Walter, 33, general labourer, Alice 32, Walter 11, Barbara 10, Anna (sic) 7. Children are all scholars. Birthplaces as per 1881 census, and Annie Norwich.

Do you know how to obtain BMD certificates, and how and where to access census records and the GRO Index for BMD? If not I will post the info later.
(You will need the GRO Index for your search for Ruth.)

Pam Downes

Geoffers
18-11-2004, 4:11 PM
can help with these three names, please?
Annie Maria Mollett married John Alfred Woods.1903 Norwich...looking for both them and their and ancestors.
Using the inrformation given by Pam.......

1881 census
RG11/1958 f126 p5
Surlingham
Walter MOLLETT, hd, mar, 25, malster, bn Surlingham
Alice S. Mollett, wf, mar, 24, bn Bramerton
Alice H. Mollett, dau, 3, bn Surlingham
Walter J. Mollett, son, 2, bn Rockland St.Mary
Barbary A Mollett, dau, 4mth, bn Surlingham

1861 census
RG9/1225 f59 p2 sch.2
Surlingham
John MOLLETT, hd, mar, 46, ag.lab, Surlingham
Hariet Mollett, wf, mar, 36, bn Moulton
Thomas Mollett, son, 18, bn Surlingham
John Mollett, son, 15, bn Surlingham
Hariet Mollett, dau, (8?), bn Surlingham
Ann Mollett, dau, 5, bn Surlingham
Walter Mollett, son, 3, bn Surlingham

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Geoffers
18-11-2004, 4:13 PM
........and also.......

1851 census
HO107/1818 f388 p24
Surlingham
John MOLLETT, Head, Mar, 37, Ag Lab, Surlingham
Hariett MOLLETT, Wife, Mar, 27, , Moulton
Thomas C. MOLLETT, Son, , 8, , Surlingham
John MOLLETT, Son, , 5, , Surlingham
Barbra MOLLETT, Daur, , 2, , Surlingham
George MOLLETT, Son, , 3, , Surlingham

1841 census
HO107/776/16 f11 p33
Surlingham
John MOLLETT, 25, ag.lab, bn Nfk
Harriett Mollett, 18, bn Nfk

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

arquebus
18-11-2004, 5:22 PM
Thank both of you very much.....The Molletts obviously didn't live in the area that I thought they did...not surprised I couldn't pin them down.

For Pam, I think the Annie occupation that looks like 'scraper' might actually be 'storekeeper'??

This might explain why I can't find the Woods line if they lived somewhere else!

I expect I'll have to do some driving once I get to the 1700's....my other half is stuck fast with How, having got there (mind you, he has been very lucky with one of his ancestors which gets him back to 1500 odd)

Thanks again, Glynis