PDA

View Full Version : Edwards - Rhode Island + Lancashire UK

Dolly
10-04-2007, 8:31 AM
I have the following family UK cesus 1881
26 King Street, Newton, Lancashire RG11 4012/57 page 39

Henry C Edwards head 29 Hereford, Hereford Coachman (Domestic)

Mary A Edwards wife 23 America

John H Edwards son 6 America

Mary A Edwards daur 5 America

Isabella Campbell lodger 22 Manchester, Lancashire cotton weaver

Bartholomew Hilton “ 23 Ireland Carter

Thomas Hilton “ 21 Ireland Carter

I have since found John Henry Edwards birth in Rhode Island ex the IGI (well someone else found it for me)

John Henry Edwards 12th September 1874 Newport, Newport Rhode Island father Henry Edwards mother Mary Source batch no. C501112 I could not find any other children to this couple.

The Edwards had another baby September 1882 while at the same address as the 1881 census and Mary Ann (nee Hanagan) died of Typhoid Fever December 1882 at same address

How can I find the following?

Marriage Henry Charles Edwards to Mary Ann Hanagan prior to 1874?

Births of Mary Ann Edwards c 1876 + Mary Ann Hanagan c 1856

Some idea of why Henry Charles was in the US and back in the UK during the 1870's?

I have searched UK records for information after 1882 and cannot find the family at all. The son born UK 1882 was my husband's grandfather and I have found him again in the Royal Navy in 1900 and more or less know his life from then

DebbieAnn
10-04-2007, 2:40 PM
Ancestry shows a Henry Edwards listed in Newport in 1889-1892, a mariner on the U.S.S. New Hampshire, living on Appleby.

yes/no?

Debbie

Dolly
10-04-2007, 4:45 PM
Thanks Debbie
My problem is that this is such a common name, I'm sure that it is as common in the States as in UK.
Henry Charles Edwards was born in Hereford UK and must have spent some time in the US during the 1870's to have met & married Mary Ann Hanagan and fathered 2 children there. Their last child, though was born in the UK and was in the British Navy in later life. No one in the family has ever mentioned that Charles W Edwards, the child born in UK spent any time in the US.