PDA

View Full Version : Sunderland typhoid outbreak 1897

Davran
09-04-2007, 6:51 PM
Hi

Does anyone know of an outbreak of typhoid in Sunderland in 1897? My ggrandfather died of typhoid in September of that year and the only reference I can find to an outbreak is in Maidstone, Kent! I have yet to contact the Tyne and Wear Archives Service, but first of all wondered if anyone here had any information.

JudeBrown26
17-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Hello Davran

I'm currently researching my family tree & have found a distant relative who died of typhoid fever on 28th August 1896. He had been ill with fever for 22 days!

I wonder if this was all part of the same outbreak? However, I also can't find any reference to this on the internet. I may try the Sunderland Library & Museum to see if they have any more info & will let you know if I find out anything.

Best Wishes
Judith Brown

suedent
17-04-2008, 1:34 PM
Hi Davran,
there was definitely an outbreak around that time. I've got several books on Sunderland's history, I'll have a delve to see what I can come up with.

Edit: BTW If you get through to Sunderland Library, ask to be put through to the Local Studies section. If you're lucky Phil will be on duty, he's a fount of knowledge of all things relating to Sunderland's history.

suedent
17-04-2008, 1:58 PM
I've had a quick look but although there are plenty of references to the Cholera outbreak in 1831 there are no mention of any Typhoid outbreaks. Possibly this is because Typhoid was far more common & the Cholera affected the whole city rather than pockets.

I know from past experience of looking through the parish registers, mainly for Sunderland Parish (the East End), that there were several outbreaks of Typhoid over the years.

Mary Young
18-04-2008, 4:50 AM
I know from past experience of looking through the parish registers, mainly for Sunderland Parish (the East End), that there were several outbreaks of Typhoid over the years.
Yes, I know of a typhoid death in Hebburn, South Shields, 1889.

Davran
18-04-2008, 1:21 PM
Gosh, I'd forgotten I'd posted this last year! I did get some feedback (can't remember where from :o), but there was no particularly significant outbreak that year. As Sue says, it was comparatively common.

Sue, if you come across any mention of the Sir John Priestman shipyard in your books I would be interested. Ggrandfather (John Knox) was the manager there in the late 1800s.