PDA

View Full Version : William Fareham and Ann Slater marriage help, please

purplecaz
04-04-2007, 3:59 PM
I am a bit stuck and would be glad of some advice. My great great great grandparents were William Fareham and Ann Slater who - according to ancestry and Free bmd - were married in the East Retford area in 1862,

Marriages March 1862
Fareham William E. Retford v7b p27
Slater Ann E.Retford v7b p27

However I have visited the library at retford and cannot seem to find the marriage in the parish registers . My friend has a cd of parish registers for notts and we cannot find them there either. I believe William lived around Torworth, Notts at the time.

I am trying to find the marriage certificate to confirm his parents are John and Sarah Fareham/Faram from Torworth, Notts

Thanks, Caz

bumblebee
04-04-2007, 5:06 PM
Could they have been non-conformist........possibly you will have to send for the marriage cert from the GRO if there is no other way.

(Torworth Wesleyan Methodist Church
Torworth, Nottinghamshire)

Bumblebee.x

Wirral
04-04-2007, 6:19 PM
As Bumblebee says, you will probably have to get a copy of the marriage certificate from the GRO. It only costs 7 to get one online & you will probably spend more than that on travel costs if you try & find the church record first.

In the censuses, Ann's place of birth is given as Everton, Nottinghamshire. This link http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/east%20retford.html shows the townships or parishes that came under the East Retford Registration District - all 60 of them. That's an awful lot of church records to look through, even if there is just one church in each!

purplecaz
04-04-2007, 9:16 PM
Thanks everybody, Ive sent for the certificate now. I am wondering if they were methodists - it would explain why I cant find it anywhere. Would it say on the certificate? Thanks again, Caz

Peter Goodey
05-04-2007, 6:05 AM
I am wondering if they were methodists...

...or if the marriage was simply a register office do.

...or if, as Wirral hinted, you simply haven't checked all the parish registers in the East Retford registration district.

John Fareham
27-08-2008, 11:39 AM
I am a bit stuck and would be glad of some advice. My great great great grandparents were William Fareham and Ann Slater who - according to ancestry and Free bmd - were married in the East Retford area in 1862,

Marriages March 1862
Fareham William E. Retford v7b p27
Slater Ann E.Retford v7b p27

However I have visited the library at retford and cannot seem to find the marriage in the parish registers . My friend has a cd of parish registers for notts and we cannot find them there either. I believe William lived around Torworth, Notts at the time.

I am trying to find the marriage certificate to confirm his parents are John and Sarah Fareham/Faram from Torworth, Notts

Thanks, Caz
Hi

This is one of my Ancestors, I have discovered now I have started. I came down from the surviving Ashton line.

To the best of my knowledge and belief we were all Anglicans though not especially committed it seems.

Would be good to share any notes, though i doubt i have found as much as you will. Taking a flying guess there are a lot of my relatives still in the Doncaster and Rotherham area.

Procat
27-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi John,

Thank you for posting your information. Unfortunately purplecaz is no longer a member of the forum.