PDA

View Full Version : Almshouses

Robert John
16-11-2004, 3:39 PM
My g grandmother was resident in an almshouse from (at least) 1871 until her death in 1900. I have tried CRO for any almshouse record of minutes, admission registers etc but none sadly exist. What generally was the selection criteria for admission, what 'tests' were applied, what must they have had/not had? I know often it was required that potential almspeople were resident in the parish for x years, or be aged or infirmed, but how were these assessed.

Any information would be welcome.

Thanks

Robert John

Geoffers
16-11-2004, 4:09 PM
My g grandmother was resident in an almshouse from (at least) 1871 until her death in 1900. I have tried CRO for any almshouse record of minutes, admission registers etc but none sadly exist. What generally was the selection criteria for admission, what 'tests' were applied, what must they have had/not had? I know often it was required that potential almspeople were resident in the parish for x years, or be aged or infirmed, but how were these assessed.
I suppose the location of any surviving records depends to a large extenet on whether the almhouses are still in use. If they are then the charity set up to administer admissions and running of them may still possess the records.

Since each charity just ran a single set of almhouses, each could set its own conditions for admission, they usually refer to admission of aged, poor and needy and to those who regularly attended church. Those resident often were required to attend church daily and to have sober and upstanding characters and be free from infectious disease.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

laroc
26-11-2004, 6:15 PM

Any information would be welcome.

Thanks

Robert John
My husbands Great Grandmother Alice Horsnell pops up living in an Alms House in Hatfield Peverel, Essex in 1901 with her five young children the youngest being about five months old. I have often wondered how she came to be there as I thought they were for old people?
I know her husband Robert had commited suicide the previous Winter but they were living at Woodham Walter at the time.
I shall have to look at the ERO web-site to see if there are any records there that might shed some light on how she came to get an Alms House.
Carol