PDA

View Full Version : Help - Where do I start?

Phil
15-11-2004, 11:27 PM
My grandfather was born in 1881 in Greencastle, County Donegal and unfortunately all I know was that he came to England to be brought up by an aunt. The first record in England is 1901 as a boarder with a family in Bexhill, Sussex. Where can I get more info on his Irish beginings?

Regards

Phil

kated
30-11-2004, 5:17 PM
Hi,

Wouldn't it be easier to search the birth indexes? You have the date and the name and the place so one you have the reference (Volume and page number) from the indexes you can get the birth register entry. The indexes are available in the Dublin GRO and on film at your local family history centre. The entry would show names of father and mother, address and father's occupation.

Kate

Phil
30-11-2004, 7:09 PM
Hi,

Wouldn't it be easier to search the birth indexes? You have the date and the name and the place so one you have the reference (Volume and page number) from the indexes you can get the birth register entry. The indexes are available in the Dublin GRO and on film at your local family history centre. The entry would show names of father and mother, address and father's occupation.

Kate

Thanks Kate. Yes, back to basics! I'm in the England. Do you (or anyone) know if the index is available in England?

Regards

Phil

kated
30-11-2004, 9:09 PM
Hi,

The indexes are available (to order I think) on film at your local family history centre at the Church of the Latter Day SAints. Is there one near you?

Kate