PDA

View Full Version : Prisoners of War in WW1 and how to find out where and what...

Ladkyis
15-11-2004, 8:32 PM
My Grand mother's Brother, John Anthony BRIDGER, was a prisoner of war during WW1. I have no-one left to ask - isn't that always the way? - and I was wondering how to find out about where he was detained and how he was repatriated after the war. I do have one picture of him and from the writing on the back - by his sister - I know it was taken in the prison camp. Could someone point me in the right direction please.
Ann

Geoffers
15-11-2004, 11:31 PM
My Grand mother's Brother, John Anthony BRIDGER, was a prisoner of war during WW1. I have no-one left to ask - isn't that always the way? - and I was wondering how to find out about where he was detained and how he was repatriated after the war. I do have one picture of him and from the writing on the back - by his sister - I know it was taken in the prison camp. Could someone point me in the right direction please.
Ann
You don't mention a rank or service - I'll assume that he was not-commissioned and in the army which makes things harder......

The International Council for the Red Cross holds some records from WW1, they do research of their records, but charge an hourly fee. Their website should give a postal address www.icrc.org (http://www.icrc.org) they are the first place you should try.

The NTA have a guide 'Reseaching British and Commonwealth Prisoners of War; World War One' which they recommend researchers request at Kew.

Some detail should be recorded in his service record (if it has survived) and may also appear on the medal card (see Documents online).

General information about prison camps can be found at TNA in class WO161.

I have not used the records, but understand some information is given about repatriation in FO383 - I stand to be corrected, but believe this is just general information about method rather than specific cases.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Ladkyis
16-11-2004, 1:41 AM
Thanks for the information, geoffers, Now I can give my daughters brother-in-law plenty to do at Kew. I bless the day |bowdown| Rod decided to start this website. So many people who are prepared to give their time to help others in their search and such an easy site to navigate to obtain the information.
If you ever have need for information about Newport Gwent - old county of Monmouthshire please don't hesitate to ask, in the mean time I shall do my best to pass on the helping hand to others - paying it forward.
Ann

Brian Roberts
24-07-2009, 11:35 AM
That info supplied by Geoffers regarding the Red Cross is quite correct, but I should just like to elaborate.
About 2 or 3 years back, I wrote to them for information on my grandfather, John Robert Harding, an NCO who spent almost a year as a POW.
They wrote back and quoted me an hourly fee for the research, cannot recall the figure, but it was VERY expensive.

Then about a year ago, looking at the Red Cross site, I noticed something new; if you were a direct relative, the research was free. (not sure how to define direct relative...?)

So I wrote again; and just when I was about to give up hope (2 weeks ago) a letter arrived from the Red Cross telling me that he had been imprisoned in Gustrow.

If you like I will look and find the link of the exact page which you have to fill in.

-Brian

Hephzibah
20-08-2009, 8:46 PM
Hi Brian,

I should be most grateful if you could post the link of the page you mention.

I am just starting a search for a possible WW1 prisioner of war and this would be very helpful.

Hephzibah

Brian Roberts
21-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi Brian,

I should be most grateful if you could post the link of the page you mention.

I am just starting a search for a possible WW1 prisioner of war and this would be very helpful.

Hephzibah

Hi Hephzibah,

Here is the link:

http://www.icrc.org/eng/contact-archives

As I said, you have to be verrrry patient with them.

Regards,

-Brian

Brian Roberts
17-05-2014, 2:18 PM
I believe the archives of WW1 POW's will be available online from August 2014.
See:

http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/article/other/archives-first-world-war-2011-07-27.htm

Lesley Robertson
17-05-2014, 5:02 PM
Thanks for that info, Brian. I'm working on the lads buried in the Netherlands from WW1, most of whom were internees, so it's going to be useful.

Ladkyis
18-05-2014, 9:11 AM
Oh this is useful! Now all I have to do is remember to go and look when it is up and running and the initial rush is over. I still remember the 1901 census palavar

clock?
27-05-2014, 6:46 PM
With help I have found my husband's Grandfather Robert Priest No. 24081, 14th Bn, Gloucestershire, Regiment who died on 30 May 1960 -- is/was buried (Grave 111.K 5) at St. Vaast Post Military Cemetery, Rechenbourg-L'avoure.

But, big but, how can I find - was he injured and died later, did he die straight away. Where was he injured, leg, head, or just his tags found. I did join British Forces Records site. And not sure if it was this site that helped me find the grave etc. I want to move on and as I say find out which bit of land was he injured/killed/hospital etc. Don't know if I am expectiong to much. Not sure if I will find this page again so if you could send link to joanbradley {at} blueyonder.co.uk - thanks:crazy:

Lesley Robertson
27-05-2014, 8:40 PM
Your question and its collection of answers are to be found HERE (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php/82052-Where-did-Robert-Priest-Die).

People, please offer help to clock? on the other thread.

Brian Roberts
07-11-2014, 5:44 AM
I see the archives of the Red Cross WW1 POW's are now available online, see:
http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Search

Ladkyis
07-11-2014, 9:52 AM
Yes the records are there and I should have dug out this thread to say that I have found the details of John Anthony BRIDGER and I have added it to the family story. Together with the photographs taken of him in the prison camp it certainly brings his story to life and goes a little way to explain the expression of sheer terror that is on his face.