PDA

View Full Version : De la Pole Hospital - Kingston Upon Hull Borough Asylum

lubok
30-01-2007, 2:10 AM
Hello

I'm trying to find out a bit more information about De la Pole Hospital, where my Great Grandmother died in 1963.
I knew that she was institutionalised after the birth of her youngest daughter, sometime after 1920, but know very little about her let alone her time in this hospital.

I have her death certificate:
Registration District: Holderness. 1963 Death in the sub-district of Hessle in the County of York (E.R.)
No. 464. Fourth January, 1963. De-la-Pole Hospital, Willerby, Haltemprice.
Elsie Elizabeth Dick. Female. Age 72 years. Of 3 Cedar Grove, Exchange Street, Hull. Wife of Arthur Dick, Retired Mixer (Paint Works). Cause of death: 1 (a) Coronary Thrombosis. Certified by A.G. Chisholm, M.B. Informant: Q.M. Hager. Daughter, 7 Derby Street, Wellington Lane, Hull. Registered: 4th January. Registrar: D. McFadden.

Is anyone out there able to shed some light on the Hospital itself, and tell me how to go about getting information on Elsie's stay there?

Kind regards
Rachel

Colin Moretti
30-01-2007, 9:05 AM
Hello Rachel

Here are details of the hospital and the location of the records on the TNA Hospital Records Database:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=449&hospital=de+la+pole&town=&searchdatabase.x=0&searchdatabase.y=0

Patient records will be considered private and covered by the 100 year rule but you might be able to get admission and discharge records

Colin

mrs_tease
06-11-2007, 1:25 PM
the hospital itself was mostly demolished a few years ago. there is still a small cemetary there for patients but its locked for the majority of the time.
some of the buildings are now offices for the NHS.

hughar
06-11-2007, 4:18 PM
If you are interested in the hospital itself, there is a book about it mentioned in
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/ENG-YKS-HULL/2005-04/1114672250

lizzieme
09-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Rachel,
De La Pole Hospital (now closed) was set in beautiful grounds on the edge of Cottingham/Willerby, not far from Hull. My friend worked there up to its closure in 1997. She says that the old people were looked after and happy there - they had trips out and christmas parties etc and the staff were friendly. There was a farm where the inmates could grow their own food and they had things that they could do and were encouraged to do. There were parts that were 'secure' but many of the inmates were old people who had shell shock etc, sustained in the war. The chapel remains and has been restored and is used for funerals at the crematorium. As far as I know, it was name after William De La Pole - the De La Pole's are historically well known benefactors in the area and also have an avenue named after them.

Lizzie

Andrew Mowbray
05-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I worked at de la Pole from 1996 just before it closed. There were several ledgers recording admissions and discharges, I think theyre in the keeping of the local PCT, mayeb Humber Mental Health. Best wishes with your research.

mrs_tease
08-04-2009, 7:16 PM
at the back of the new unit on delapole grounds, they have been building and clearing the grounds.
they have uncovered a number of gravestones which anyone has access to at the moment. I havent had chance to look at them as you have to walk over the mud to get to them and I'm usually on my way into work when I'm near them lol
dont think it would go down to well if I go in covered in mud lol

Nicolina
09-04-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm surpprised that there are so many answers to this one.
My brother did his training there, from 1958, and was a Staff Nurse afterwards in a secure enviroment. With the introduction of "Care in the Community" patients were discharged and the hospital closed.
Somewhere there is a photograph of the cast of a pantomime that the staff put on, with my brother as a Pantomime Dame, but unfortunately I haven't seen it for a long time. Maybe he finally destroyed it. (I would have done, if it were me)

alanlee2406
17-07-2009, 4:54 PM
Rachel hi in the last 6 months i have found a cousin in Auckland New Zealand and she had Grandmother in De la Pole, she was having trouble finding any thing out about her, I live in Newcastle upon tyne England not to far from Hull and i made a few phone calls and if you wright a nice letter to a man called Mr Graham Harmer, he is head of corporate support, give him as much info as you can thay have a lot of info on microfiche.
the address is
Graham Harmer,
Mary Seacole Building,
Willerby Hill,
Beverley Road,
Willerby,
East Yorkshire,
HU10 6ED.

Hope this is of some help.
Alan...

(let me know how you get on)

pickard-young
15-11-2010, 12:21 AM
I have a Great Grand Aunt who spent some time there prior to her suicide at prospect Mill in Darwen on 31 Aug 1963.
Is anyone here in the Hull area who could look up the De La Pole admissions records or newspaper reports of her death for me ?

lizzieme
16-11-2010, 1:20 AM
Dear Rachel,
Kingston upon Hull now has many records stored in one place, at the new Hull History Centre and it's possible that there may be some newspaper or other records concerning your great grandmother there but at the moment, I am unable to go there for you. Some information is available online, if you put Hull History Centre in Google. Once you have the site, put De La Pole Hospital in the search box and it brings up a list. Many things are inaccessible without a visit to the centre, but you can read about the hospital itself if you click on the record C DPP. If the death was reported in the newspaper, the local paper is called the Hull Daily Mail - or the Hull and East Riding Mail now. I don't know if they will help you, but they might. They do have a website at
www.
thisishullandeastriding.co.uk

As already mentioned, actual patients records are covered by a hundred year rule and it may not be possible to view them.

Lizzie

Hello

I'm trying to find out a bit more information about De la Pole Hospital, where my Great Grandmother died in 1963.
I knew that she was institutionalised after the birth of her youngest daughter, sometime after 1920, but know very little about her let alone her time in this hospital.

I have her death certificate:
Registration District: Holderness. 1963 Death in the sub-district of Hessle in the County of York (E.R.)
No. 464. Fourth January, 1963. De-la-Pole Hospital, Willerby, Haltemprice.
Elsie Elizabeth Dick. Female. Age 72 years. Of 3 Cedar Grove, Exchange Street, Hull. Wife of Arthur Dick, Retired Mixer (Paint Works). Cause of death: 1 (a) Coronary Thrombosis. Certified by A.G. Chisholm, M.B. Informant: Q.M. Hager. Daughter, 7 Derby Street, Wellington Lane, Hull. Registered: 4th January. Registrar: D. McFadden.

Is anyone out there able to shed some light on the Hospital itself, and tell me how to go about getting information on Elsie's stay there?

Kind regards
Rachel

pickard-young
17-11-2010, 9:52 PM
...if you put Hull History Centre in Google. Once you have the site, put De La Pole Hospital in the search box and it brings up a list.

I tried that and got a 404. It seems the site is broken. :(

lizzieme
18-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Dear Rachel, Try putting Hull History Centre in google, then when you get the home page, instead of putting De La Pole Hospital in the search box, click on the arrow underneath the search box, where it says, 'search our catalogues'. When the page opens, click on 'search' then put de la pole hospital in the search box, and it brings up the list that I mentioned. This way worked for me. I am using google chrome instead of internet explorer. I hope this helps

Lizzie

Richard1955
18-11-2010, 1:49 AM
Hi Lubok
Please take a look at: www.
countyasylums.com/mentalasylums/delapole01.htm
and also 'google' the name of the hospital and see what comes up.

Regards
Rik

mrs_tease
19-11-2010, 9:39 AM
I have photos of the 3 or 4 remaining graves that are on the site, along with a memorial plaque which has now been placed there if anyone would like me to email them. Drop me your email addy if you do.

garrytrown
04-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi Lol,

I'm a new member and have noticed your bit about the cemetary at De la Pole hospital in Beverley, are you able to confirm this cemetary is open to the public as I'm curretly researching my great grandad Richard Clark who may have been institutionalised in the late 1890's / early 1900's he was likeme a bridlington man originally.

Regards

Garry Trown

garrytrown
04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Hi,

I have noticed your advert re photo's of the remaining graves, could I ask you send them to me at garrytrown(AT)yahoo.co.uk

Regards

Garry Town

mrs_tease
05-12-2010, 8:41 AM
heya

I'm at work right now, when I get home I will def send you the pictures!
There is 2 grave yards at De la pole. The newest is at the back of the crem, which does have a lock on the gate. The oldest part and which I have photos of is open to the public, there is a public footpath which cuts through it but like I said there is only 3 or 4 stones left now.

Peter Goodey
05-12-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm a new member and have noticed your bit about the cemetary at De la Pole hospital in Beverley, are you able to confirm this cemetery is open to the public as I'm currently researching my great grandad Richard Clark who may have been institutionalised in the late 1890's / early 1900's he was like me a bridlington man originally.

Presumably you have the death certificate so are certain about the date and place of death.

Armed with that information, you're likely to have most chance of success by searching the surviving records of the asylum at Hull History Centre which include some death and burial registers.

He may have been buried elsewhere other than at the asylum if there was a family to claim the body and who wanted to make their own funeral arrangements.

Peter Goodey
05-12-2010, 10:14 AM
he was like me a bridlington man

de la Pole was the Hull Borough Asylum. If he was from Bridlington, wouldn't the East Riding Asylum be the appropriate place?

garrytrown
05-12-2010, 4:59 PM
Many thanks for your help

Regards

Garry Trown

garrytrown
05-12-2010, 5:05 PM
Peter,

All I know is that being a Bridlington man and having a wife and family listed on the 1891 census he suddenley dies in Beverley June quarter 1900, I have to presume that he was in the Beverley area for some reason.

Garry.

Peter Goodey
05-12-2010, 6:06 PM
According to the 1901 census, the Hull City Lunatic Asylum was in Willerby in the Sculcoates Registration District.

The East Riding Lunatic Asylum was in Walkington in the Beverley Registration District.

You definitely need to get the death certificate if you want to pursue this.

lizzieme
05-12-2010, 7:28 PM
Dear Garry,
Peter is right - De La Pole hospital was in Willerby, not Beverley. The mental hospital Peter is referring to, at Walkington near Beverley, was called Broadgate Hospital and closed in 1989. There are some photographs here http://www.countyasylums.com/mentalasylums/broadgate01.htm

Lizzie

Peter Goodey
06-12-2010, 8:23 AM
A finding aid for records of the East Riding asylum can be found in the Hospital Records Database (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=391)