PDA

View Full Version : West Dean area 1750-1850

Tuppence
15-11-2004, 6:00 PM
Tregus - Treagus - Tregoose - Tregosse

This is my husbands ancestors it is getting a bit difficult to sort them out. Some even have 3 of the above names in one family and then it appears that cousins marry etc. I have collected at least 3 different versions of how the family went from William & Sarah [Coombes] who married in 1755. There is no complete concensus on their children and so the next generations gets quite confusing, if there is someone who has them in their line or is able to check I would be very gratefull.
Thanks for reading this.
Tuppence

Rod Neep
15-11-2004, 8:05 PM
One thing that can be virtually guarranteed.... with surnames like that, then they will originally be from Cornwall !

It is quite rare in England for surnames to be so limited to a regional area, and yours just jumped out and asked to be identified as one of them.

Regards
Rod

Tuppence
15-11-2004, 8:35 PM
Thanks Rod
I think the original name will turn out to be "de Tregoz" which as you said is from Cornwall and I think some from Herefordshire. Just getting so annoying with one person saying that:- i.e. John goes here and another says no that is where Fred goes and so on for about 50 years, it is really a muddle. Patience is a virtue????????
Thanks
Tuppence

Marcus
17-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Hi Tuppence,

My ancestry was in West Dean from 1750 -1850 also. On numurous occassions I have come across the Treagus surname while carrying out research into the Ide surname.

Do you live near West Dean? I am pretty sure I have come across headstones in the graveyard of St Andrews Church, West Dean that belong to your ancestors. If you get a chance take a look, you may pick up some clues.

I will probably be going down that way again next month, I live in London, so if you like I will try and locate headstones with the Tregus surname, let me know.

The headstones I have found have needed cleaning up a bit as there pretty old but you might be lucky. Its much easier to view the headstones with shadows so sunshine or a torch is a must.

Regards

Marcus Ide.

Tuppence
17-12-2004, 3:04 PM
Hi Marcus,
Would love to go and check the headstones but it makes for a long swim as I live in Canada lol!!. If you come across some in your travels it would be great as there has been some confusion within the researchers for that time period in particular. It doesn't help that there are about 5 different ways of spelling it and any help is so appreciated. Thankyou for the offer and if there is anything that would help that I have already I will gladly send, if you need it. Once again thankyou for the time that you took to reply as well as your offer, which I accept.
Tuppence

Steve Steere
18-12-2004, 12:25 AM
Hi Tuppence,
I suggest you visit the Sussex Family History Group on which they have a tombstone & burial index. There is a contact email address for queries, and judging by what the site says they are doing free searches for family members, where normally a fee is charged.
Good luck.

Jane M
18-12-2004, 4:55 PM
Hi Tuppence,

Loads of marriages in the name of TREGUS (with variants) on the Sussex Marriage Index and guess what, most of them are in West Dean!
If you can be specific with names, I'll gladly do look-ups for you. By the way, the index goes up to 1837,
Jane

Tuppence
23-12-2004, 1:07 AM
Hi Steve,
Will check out that site after Christmas. Thanks.

Hi Jane,
Can I get back to you in the new year as things are kind of hectic right now and thankyou so much.

Tuppence

Jane M
23-12-2004, 7:06 AM
Looking forward to hearing from you. Happy Christmas,

Jane

Tuppence
23-12-2004, 5:45 PM
Thanks Jane and you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Tuppence