PDA

View Full Version : Ann Elliot Still trying

Chezw
15-01-2007, 9:43 AM
Still cannot find the birth of Ann Elliot married to Joseph Gibson in Coldstream and then Eglingham. Banns both of Bewick(did it mean Berwick?)Witnesses John Elliot and James Gibson.
Census 1841 and 1851 both state she was born in the county at Ilderton and Elderton, she was born about 1791, by census age. Death in Brewick Upon Tweed Workhouse 1857 gives her age as born in 1785!!
Her sons were 1. George and 2. Joseph. Do naming patterns apply?
Are Ilderton, Bewick(if it exists) and Eglingham in close proximity?
Here's hoping someone may give me a geographical clue, or someone who is experienced at searchhhhhing may have some pointers.
Joseph Gibson is just as elusive - census says 1. born in county, 2. born in Scotland!

Cheers
Chezw
Australia

jeeb
15-01-2007, 9:58 AM
Hi Chezw,
Ilderton, Bewick and Eglingham do all exist and are in close proximity to the north of the centre of the county of Northumberland.

Cheers Jeremy

Chezw
15-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks to you both, I'll search in all those places and see what I can find. I knew Berwick Upon Tweed changed hands many times, maybe that is why Scotland is quoted as birthplace in the census. The children of Joseph Gibson and Anne Elliot were all christened in Golden Square, Presbyterian Church, so I thought that Joseph may have been Scottish, oh well back to the "drawing board"

Cheers

Chezw

jeeb
16-01-2007, 8:21 AM
Hi Chezw,
If they were Presbyterian this is likely.

Anne Elliott born 5 March 1786 Bap. 27 March 1786 Branton Presbyterian.
Daughter of Adam & Mary Elliott.
They also baptised:- Mary 1788, Jane 1790 & Hannah 1796.
Brandon is about 5 miles south of Ilderton, Northumberland.

Cheers Jeremy

Chezw
16-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks Jeremy, I was trying the Scottish naming patterns, 1st son was George and 2nd son Joseph, 2nd daughter was Jane 3rd daughter Elizabeth, can't find 1st daughter presumed died. Christening record states that Jane was 2nd daughter. I will hunt the Adam and Mary. There was a John Elliot witness to the marriage of Anne Ellio and Joseph Gibson.
Sooooooo frustrating!
Chezw