PDA

View Full Version : George Trim of Chideock, Dorset and Brisbane

rasmusseneric
09-01-2007, 2:20 AM
I am looking for information on the above. George migrated to Brisbane and married Maria Bevan on 13 November, 1882. They had a son, John, who was my wife's (nee Trim) grandfather.

In particular, I would like some detail of the English family history.

John

Melissa Jones
09-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Hi John,

Have you been able to obtain George and Maria's marriage certificate? This should give you the names of his parents which would allow you to search for his birth certificate (and link up any brothers/sisters etc).

Melissa

ChristineR
10-01-2007, 12:14 AM
According to the Pioneer Index the marriage took place 29th November 1882.
Reg Number: 1882/001148 This will cost around $25 from the Queensland Births Death & Marriages.

I agree with Melissa, you need to get this to confirm both sets of parents names, and maiden names of the mothers. You will also get the birthplaces of the bride and groom. You need all this before you can even think about looking in England, as you need to know who you are looking for. Else you could end up with the wrong TRIM family.

Christine

ChristineR
10-01-2007, 12:17 AM
John, do you have young John's siblings?

Christine :)

GeoffD
10-01-2007, 7:41 AM
From National Archives of Australia - 1914-1918 tim eperiod used for search.

TRIM Frank : Service Number - 5088 : Place of Birth - Brisbane QLD : Place of Enlistment - Brisbane QLD : Next of Kin - (Mother) TRIM Maria

TRIM Walter : Service Number - 1736 : Place of Birth - Brisbane QLD : Place of Enlistment - Enoggera QLD : Next of Kin - (Brother) TRIM Frederick

TRIM James Arthur : Service Number - 6443 : Place of Birth - Brisbane QLD : Place of Enlistment - Brisbane QLD : Next of Kin - (Father) TRIM Felix Robert

TRIM Wilfred George : Service Number - 6444 : Place of Birth - Brisbane QLD : Place of Enlistment - Brisbane QLD : Next of Kin - (Father) TRIM Felix Robert

The first one is a good candidate for another son of George and Maria. Digitised records available for free viewing.

Other TRIM names from Victoria and New South Wales are also there.
----------------------------------------------
Free BMD
Chideock is in Bridport District. There is only one George Trim registed birth there between 1837 and end 1882.
Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Births Dec 1838 (>99%)
Trim George Bridport 8 39

If this is your George, that would make him about 44 when he married in 1882. But it fits with him apparently being deceased when Frank Trim enlisted for WW1.
This is a slim chance, but could be a good starting place for your searches.

ChristineR
11-01-2007, 12:39 AM
...You need all this before you can even think about looking in England, as you need to know who you are looking for. Else you could end up with the wrong TRIM family.

Christine

Sorry John, I did not take in the full content of your thread heading and you did not mention the birthplace in the body of your message. :D

Christine

HelenVSmith
11-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Hi John

I have been a bit caught up but that parcel on teh Klumpps is still coming to you.

Have you bought the marriage certificate in Queensland? This will give you his parents names and father's occupation.

Per the Queensland State Archives online index (http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/research/index/immigration.aspthere) is a G. Trim immigrating to Queensland aboard the Almora arriving 2 August 1882 and a Maria Bevan arrived in July 1882 aboard the Zemora.

Regards
Helen

rasmusseneric
12-01-2007, 5:46 AM
Hi John,

Have you been able to obtain George and Maria's marriage certificate? This should give you the names of his parents which would allow you to search for his birth certificate (and link up any brothers/sisters etc).

Melissa

Yes, Melissa, I do have the certificate. My problem is that his mum and dad seem to vanish on the English records - I was hoping for someone in Oz to give me a help along.

John

rasmusseneric
12-01-2007, 5:53 AM
According to the Pioneer Index the marriage took place 29th November 1882.
Reg Number: 1882/001148 This will cost around $25 from the Queensland Births Death & Marriages.

I agree with Melissa, you need to get this to confirm both sets of parents names, and maiden names of the mothers. You will also get the birthplaces of the bride and groom. You need all this before you can even think about looking in England, as you need to know who you are looking for. Else you could end up with the wrong TRIM family.

Christine
Thanks, Christine

I have the certificate - please see my reply to mMelissa

His siblings were:- George William (1883-1960)
Charles (1887 - )

John

rasmusseneric
12-01-2007, 5:58 AM
From National Archives of Australia - 1914-1918 tim eperiod used for search.

TRIM Frank : Service Number - 5088 : Place of Birth - Brisbane QLD : Place of Enlistment - Brisbane QLD : Next of Kin - (Mother) TRIM Maria

TRIM Walter : Service Number - 1736 : Place of Birth - Brisbane QLD : Place of Enlistment - Enoggera QLD : Next of Kin - (Brother) TRIM Frederick

TRIM James Arthur : Service Number - 6443 : Place of Birth - Brisbane QLD : Place of Enlistment - Brisbane QLD : Next of Kin - (Father) TRIM Felix Robert

TRIM Wilfred George : Service Number - 6444 : Place of Birth - Brisbane QLD : Place of Enlistment - Brisbane QLD : Next of Kin - (Father) TRIM Felix Robert

The first one is a good candidate for another son of George and Maria. Digitised records available for free viewing.

Other TRIM names from Victoria and New South Wales are also there.
----------------------------------------------
Free BMD
Chideock is in Bridport District. There is only one George Trim registed birth there between 1837 and end 1882.
Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Births Dec 1838 (>99%)
Trim George Bridport 8 39

If this is your George, that would make him about 44 when he married in 1882. But it fits with him apparently being deceased when Frank Trim enlisted for WW1.
This is a slim chance, but could be a good starting place for your searches.

Thanks Robert.

These are not my Trims - George died in 1920 in Brisbane.
Please see my reply to Melissa - I need help with the English side after much fruitless searching in Ancestry, etc.

John

rasmusseneric
12-01-2007, 6:02 AM
Hi John

I have been a bit caught up but that parcel on teh Klumpps is still coming to you.

Have you bought the marriage certificate in Queensland? This will give you his parents names and father's occupation.

Per the Queensland State Archives online index (http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/research/index/immigration.aspthere) is a G. Trim immigrating to Queensland aboard the Almora arriving 2 August 1882 and a Maria Bevan arrived in July 1882 aboard the Zemora.

Regards
Helen

Hi Helen,

Happy New Year!

Obviously I did not explain myself properly with my request.
I have the certificate and the emigartion details - what I can't seem to find is any history in Dorset - except for the 1851 census. The family disappeared off the map. I was hoping an Oz Trim might have solved the puzzle.

John

HelenVSmith
12-01-2007, 6:48 AM
Hi John

Happy New Year.

We might be able to help more if we knew what George's parents' names were and the info you have for the 1851 census. This can help with occupations eg is it likely the father went into the Army, or to India etc.

If you are looking for census entries via Ancestry you need to be very creative with your searches. TRIM depending on the writing could become a variety of things SRIM, DRIM etc even DIM. The Ancestry indexing was not done in England and not even by people who had English as their first language. Or by people who were used to interpreting handwriting from times past.

Regards
Helen

ChristineR
12-01-2007, 12:37 PM
His siblings were:- George William (1883-1960)
Charles (1887 - )

John

two more for you from the next cd - up to 1914 Qld

father: George TRIM
mother: Maria BEVAN

Fanny TRIM 28th November 1891
#1892/007594 (not reg. until the next year)

Frank TRIM 20th January 1894
#1894/B053972

ChristineR
12-01-2007, 12:48 PM
other TRIM people having kids at the same time (in case they are George's missing siblings)

Felix Robert TRIM marr Martha Ann STANTON - 5th April 1883/001262
William TRIMM marr Agnes WALLACE - 20th Aug 1887/001520
Rosina TRIM marr 1895
Kate TRIM marr 1901
Mary TRIM marr 1907
Andrew TRIM marr 1908

1898 Lily TRIM died - father William, mother Elizabeth BRAIN

Christine :)

ChristineR
12-01-2007, 12:57 PM
http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=93795&posted=1#post93795

and I have posted to this thread of yours - not sure if you had already found George in 1881 - this one has a wife.

Christine.