PDA

View Full Version : Christchurch Ireland

Mrs.Jean Jones
19-12-2006, 8:52 PM
My Great Grandparents both came from Ireland so it is hard to find them.On the 1871 census they were living in Liverpool prior to this they had been in Colchester were they married,he was in the army.They were Robert Trotter born about 1827 in Ireland,his father was James Trotter a labourer.Robert wife was Jane Montgomery born about 1837 her father was John Montgomery,labourer.On the 1871 census as I said they were both down as coming from Ireland but on the side by her name it said Christchurch.Can anybody help me to sort this out? Jean

Peter Goodey
19-12-2006, 9:15 PM
Wind on to the next page. It looks to me as if Christchurch is the ecclesiatical district.

Mrs.Jean Jones
20-12-2006, 8:06 PM
I have had contact with a lady through genes reunited and she says that Christchurch is an area in Dublin where Christchurch Cathedral is.I am pinning my hopes on this being correct.

Peter Goodey
20-12-2006, 8:13 PM
Well, look through the book and tell me what you think that particular enumerator's practice was.

Peter Goodey
20-12-2006, 8:47 PM
I'll have another go at explaining it. The enumeration district appears to span more than one ecclesiastical parish. The enumerator has made a hash of specifying them and has attempted to indicate the boundary between one parish and another by drawing a horizontal line across the page and writing in the name of the parish in the Disability column.

It is sheer chance that "Christchurch" happens to be written on the same line as Mrs Trotter's details.

"Christchurch" in this case refers simply to Toxteth Park and has nothing at all to do with Ireland.

I'm ready to stand corrected by anyone with better local knowledge of the Toxteth Park area.

Wirral
20-12-2006, 11:09 PM
I'm ready to stand corrected by anyone with better local knowledge of the Toxteth Park area.
Sit down, Peter, I agree with you!

Peter Goodey
21-12-2006, 7:45 AM
Actually on second thoughts perhaps that enumerator made a reasonable fist of indicating the church parishes. I don't know how they were supposed to do it.

Wirral
21-12-2006, 11:52 AM
This part of the census piece straddles the 2 ecclesiastical parishes of St Michael & Christ Church. After the original sheet was filled in, additions were made in a different pen & possibly in a different hand. When there was a change in parish, a thick line was been written across the page & the name of the parish written in underneath it. In one case, on page 24 Otterspool Station, the thick line & the parish name of Christchurch have both been crossed out again, because it was in St Michael's parish after all. You can see the changes made on pages 24, 25, 26 & 27. After that, the houses appear to all be in St Michael's parish, so no changes were necessary.

Mrs.Jean Jones
28-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Many thanks for your replies,having thought about it I think that you are correct.As both Mr and Mrs Trotter came from Ireland it was strange that only Mrs had the name.
They married in 1864 in Colchester,Military camp.I will try the 1861 census I might get more info from there.
Thanks once again Jean