PDA

View Full Version : Royal Horse Artillery 1804 - 1814

esjadee
16-12-2006, 3:51 PM
Hi there

It seems my GGG grandfather Wiliam Mountain was a driver in the Royal Horse Artillery. I have managed to get some discharge / pension info from the NA which give his dates of service as 1 Feb 1804 - 10 Oct 1814.

I would like to find out where he served during that time but I'm not sure where to start. Would I need to go to Kew or can I find the info online? I would also like to find out more about life in the RHA at that time, can anyone reccommend some background reading?

Thanks
Sue

Jack Richards
16-12-2006, 6:36 PM
Hi Sue

I am certain you will receive a more formal response from a couple of other friends on this forum.

Meanwhile, I have researched a very similar project. My ancestor Edward Richards was both in the Royal Artillery and then the Royal Horse Artillery.

All in the same years you are researching, so I can assure you the excellent records are available at Kew.

I have trawled my man, month by month, year by year on the Pay and Muster Rolls, a long piece of research but rewarding.

Look at my web site - click on Book 8 - then click on Edward Richards part one and you will see his army record as above.

Do not forget that if he was in the Peninsular War, years later theywere awarded the General Service medal and clasps for each campaign/battle.

You will see my references and I assume your references will be similar.

This is a sketchy reply, so please any other respondents, do not be too critical as far as the reference to the General Service medal is concerned, I am merely simplifying my response.

Regards

Jack

neil1821
16-12-2006, 7:12 PM
Sue,
As Jack correctly says, the Military General Service medal was awarded in 1847 to surviving veterans of the Napoleonic campaigns.
William Mountain, Royal Horse Artillery is listed on the medal roll - he received the medal with the single clasp for Vittoria.

Jack, I see an Edward Richards, Corps of Artillery Drivers on the roll as well. Received clasps for Roleia, Vimiero, Talavera, Badajoz, Salamanca, Vittoria, Pyrenees, Orthes, Toulouse.

Neil

Jack Richards
16-12-2006, 8:13 PM
Neil

Yes, that's my man. As you will see from the web site, I have his records including copies of letters he wrote (and acknowledgements) claiming the several clasps.

Oh and how about this? The medal and clasps survive to this day, but the big question is, "where is it?". Clearly, it is in a private collection, not with the Royal Artillery. If my memory serves me, it was last sold by Spinks at auction for about 800, it may have been 1992, I need to look it up.

Now here's my query to all on this forum. Where is the medal and clasps, that is to say, who has it? Obviously, I have made enquiries but auctioneers are not going to divulge such information.

My experience of collectors is that you only know they have it when they want to sell it, or of their interest in it when they want to purchase it.

So, come on friends, what can we come up with?

Oh and I have done all my research myself, travelling from the Manchester area to Kew.

Regards Jack

esjadee
17-12-2006, 3:39 PM
Thank you both for your replies.

Neil, where can I find the medal rolls are they held at Kew as well?

Jack, I live in Bristol so will only have a day at Kew are there any tips you can give me about searching the pay & muster rolls?

Sue