PDA

View Full Version : Census look ups

Omega
15-12-2006, 6:27 AM
Is it true that all Scottish census are available online for look ups?

I've got a Campbell family who emigrated to Australia I don't know when but they were here for the son James Watson Campbell baptised 18/2/1849 to marry Mary Ann Iland 30/10/1874. His dad was Archibald c1825 Pattern Box Maker and mother Ann McGill.

Deirdre |help|

Geoffers
15-12-2006, 8:29 AM
Is it true that all Scottish census are available online
Have a look at scotlands people.

Geoffers

Omega
15-12-2006, 1:03 PM
Thanks Geoffers, Off to try that now.

Deirdre :D

sally
16-12-2006, 9:18 AM
Hope you have found your family on Scotlandspeople Omega but if not then perhaps this will help.

1851 piece 644/1 ED21 pg8
245 High Street, Glasgow St.Paul, Lanarkshire
CAMPBELL
Archibald, 25, Wrights Journeyman
Ann,23
James,2

Archibald & James born Glasgow, Ann born Ireland.

Ancestry has the 1861 index FREE at the moment to search which can help with searches on ScotlandsPeople as they do not have a box for 'where born' on their site which is handy for a name like CAMPBELL

Regards
Sally

Omega
16-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks Sally,

Went into Scotlands people but I don't have any credits so couldn't get any info so appreciate the help with the information above. I tried Ancestry but will give 1861 another go there thank you again.

Omega
16-12-2006, 2:55 PM
Hi Sally

Went into Ancestry found the 1861 census but it wont give me details it doesn't appear to be giving free access to me without the free trial and it wont give a free trial without a credit card number which I personally do not have. Guess I will have to leave my Campbells at this point. Thank you for your interest.

Deirdre

Procat
16-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi Deirdre,

Had a look and could not find the parents in the 1861 based on the previous information.

However, there was this with a James of the right age and a brother Archibald. Maybe nothing and the family may have already been in Australia by 1861:

Name: James Campbell
Estimated birth year: abt 1849
Relationship: Nephew
Where born: Glasgow, Lanark
Registration Number: 350
Registration district: Dunning
Civil parish: Dunning
County: Perthshire
Address: Railway Gate House
ED: 4
Page: 10
Household schedule number: 50
Line: 23
Roll: CSSCT1861_48

Household Members:
Archibald Campbell 10 Nephew Born Glasgow Lanark Scholar
John Campbell 7 Nephew Born Glasgow Lanark Scholar
James Ferguson 5 Nephew Born Perth Perth
Malcolm Ferguson 33 Brother Born Blair Athol Perth Ag Lab
Robert Ferguson 40 Head Born Blair Athol Perth Gate Keeper
Sophia Ferguson 30 Sister Born Blair Athol Perth Nurse
Catherine Stewart 67 Mother Born Blair Athol

Omega
17-12-2006, 2:19 AM
Doug in Ancestry search results 1861 Scotland census
found James W Campbell abt 1849 Son Glasgow Govan Lanarkshire
Ann Campbell abt 1829 wife Ireland wife Glasgow Govan Lanarkshire
Archibald Campbell abt 1826 Glasgow Head Glasgow Govan Lanarkshire

I couldn't find any with St Paul that was a match to each other but these were.

What do you think?

Deirdre

Procat
17-12-2006, 2:32 AM
Hi Deirdre,

Will work through them one at a time:

Name: James W Campbell
Estimated birth year: abt 1849
Relationship: Son
Father's name: Thomas
Mother's name: Agnes W
Where born: Maybole, Ayrshire
Registration Number: 644/9
Registration district: Tradeston
Civil parish: Glasgow Govan
County: Lanarkshire
Address: 51 West St
ED: 49
Page: 10
Household schedule number: 53
Line: 22
Roll: CSSCT1861_110
Household Members:

Agnes W Campbell 50 Wife Born St Andrews, Fofeshire
David Campbell 19 Son Born Seven, Fifeshire Gen Drapers Assistant
Ellen A Campbell 22 Daughter Born Seven, Fofeshire
Jessie Campbell 17 Daughter Born Seven, Fifeshire
Thomas Campbell 55 Head Born Leven, Fofeshire Retired Singeow (sic)
Thomas Campbell 15 Son Born Seven, Fifeshire Gen Drapers Assistant

Procat
17-12-2006, 2:35 AM
Name: Ann Campbell
Estimated birth year: abt 1829
Relationship: Wife
Spouse's name : David
Where born: Ireland
Registration Number: 644/9
Registration district: Tradeston
Address: 10 Nicholson St
ED: 4
Page: 14
Household schedule number: 89
Line: 20
Roll: CSSCT1861_110
Household Members:

Ann Campbell 7 Daughter Born Glasgow, Lanarkshire
David Campbell 33 Head Born Ireland Carter
David Campbell 5 Son Born Glasgow, Lanarkshire
William Campbell 1 Son Born Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Robert Thomson 22 Lodger Born Glasgow, Lanarkshire Rope Spinner

Procat
17-12-2006, 2:37 AM
Archibald Campbell
Estimated birth year: abt 1826
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Christina
Where born: Glasgow
Registration Number: 644/10
Registration district: Hutchesontown
Address: 51 Mc Niel St
ED: 8
Page: 18
Household schedule number: 79
Line: 20
Roll: CSSCT1861_112
Household Members:

Christina Campbell 27 Wife Born Subject, France B

Omega
17-12-2006, 4:01 AM
Bummer!

Well back to the drawing board I couldn't see any matches with St Paul only one for James Campbell son but birth was abt 1850 and not Glasgow for birthplace. I wonder if I should do a search in England incase they moved?
I'll see what I come up with.

Deirdre

Thank you Doug for getting the above 3 for me but wrong people in each I fear ... looked good though. Thanks for your hard work and time.

Deirdre

Procat
17-12-2006, 4:10 AM
Now there's an idea:

1861 census

Civil parish: Hulme
Ecclesiastical parish: St Phillip
County/Island: Lancashire

Registration district: Chorlton
Sub-registration district: Hulme
ED, institution, or vessel: 3
Household schedule number: 75

84 Newcastle Street

Thomas Wood Head Married Age 55 Packer Montgomeryshire Llandloes Wales
Mary Wood Wife Married 52 Flintshire Miladan? Wales
Archibald Campbell Lodger Widr 34 Packing Case Maker Scotland
James W Campbell Son Un 11 Scholar Scotland |jumphappy

Omega
17-12-2006, 8:42 AM
Well aren't you a cleaver boy then. That's terrific Doug, I always wondered why Archibald was buried in Gympie and not his wife, now I know. Thank you very much for that. No wonder I couldn't find him in Ancestry I was looking for head with wife and son. Thanks again.

Procat
17-12-2006, 9:22 AM
Given they were lodging in Lancashire I wonder if they were on their way to the emigration depot?

Procat
17-12-2006, 9:31 AM
Hm, it would appear not.

Do you have this from:

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/research/index/immigration.asp#immigrationindexes

Campbell Archibald Age 35 Ship Fiery Star Date 20 Nov 1864 Location IMM/112 Page 181 M/f 1696
Campbell James Age 14 Ship Fiery Star Date 20 Nov 1864 Location IMM/112 Page 181 M/f number 1696

Omega
17-12-2006, 9:41 AM
Darn, Didn't think to look in QLD I was searching through naa for a record of immigration. Thank you Doug, good fishing it helps when you look in the right place. LOL They must have been working their way down to emigrate like you said and he was here by 1874 to get married in Yengarie near Maryborough as was said in marriage certificate. There is that jig saw again.
Thank you very much for that information and your time. I'll google the ship and see what info I can find out about it.

Procat
17-12-2006, 9:57 AM
Do you know if Archibald may have married again in QLD?

I have the Digger CDs if you want me to look.

Omega
17-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Not that I can tell Doug the Campbells have all been buried at Gympie Two Mile Cemetery even though they moved to Brisbane (all of course except Gilbert Roy the youngest son of James Watson Campbell) and Archibald is next to James and Mary Ann his wife, as close as they seem I would say not remarried as an educated guess. James's 3 daughters put Campbell into all their children's Christian names. Even to the extreme on of the girls married a Williamson and called her first son Fernie Archibald Wylie Campbell Williamson. I thought my maiden name was bad enough (Deirdre Claris Churchill-Bateman) but his wins the prize. :D
But this shows the family closeness so if he had married again I am sure she would be buried at his side.

Deirdre

Doug, what was the name of the town in Lancashire where Archibald was bording? I can't find it by the names above.

Procat
17-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Damn,

Just realised I left the full reference off - ever since Ancestry redesigned the layout I keep doing that:

RG9; Piece: 2886; Folio: 57; Page: 13

Hulme is part of Manchester.

Omega
17-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Do you know what amazes me Doug? It is the way all my rellies hovered around each other and missed running into each other until they got miles overseas to Australia.

I must line my dates up and see just how close they came to each other and by what margin they missed each other until they got here.

My Hunts - Manchester - Annie Hunt came to Australia 2/2/1882 she was born 1865 her mother and father married the year the Campbells went to Australia and James W Campbells younger son married Annie's youngest daughter. This boggles my mind. And while Annie was leaving from Tilbury(that is where the ships left from isn't it) the woman James was to marry was living with her mum and siblings at Sheerness in 1881 and I think they must have come over in approximately the same time period. Ships passing in the night wow. Blows the mind.

Procat
17-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Tilbury Docks is in London and officially opened in 1886 - much later than when your lot emigrated. See for example http://www.visionarythurrock.org.uk/docs/artists/helenabenzenou/docks/archive.html

Many emigrants left from the port of Liverpool in Lancashire.

It is amazing how close people came and I doubt they knew they were connected.

I found a relative living in London in a census. Three doors down and owning a butcher shop was another relative.

I am certain relative one would have purchased meat from relative two (assuming of course he was not a rogue who the locals would not deal with) and yet the chances of them making any sort of connection would have been worse than my standing to win first division in tattslotto.

And if you tell me you have any connection to the Carkeet family of Gympie I will be going out to buy a ticket ASAP.

Omega
17-12-2006, 11:11 AM
LOL Doug, haven't come across that one got Campbell, Smith, Hubner (but they went to Bundaberg) and Williamson. Nott, Counter, Organ, and back to Campbell. Two of the Counter girls married but we can't remember their married names it was a Thelma and Norma the third girl Bernice didn't marry she dedicated herself to nursing at the hospital then aged care. Got any of those?
|biggrin|

Procat
17-12-2006, 11:15 AM
No - perhaps thankfully.

Or I would be humming the theme from the Twilight Zone to myself all night.

Omega
17-12-2006, 11:24 AM
No - perhaps thankfully.

Or I would be humming the theme from the Twilight Zone to myself all night.

If you sing anything like me you should feel very glad we missed this one. :D

Omega
17-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Hm, it would appear not.

Do you have this from:

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/research/index/immigration.asp#immigrationindexes

Campbell Archibald Age 35 Ship Fiery Star Date 20 Nov 1864 Location IMM/112 Page 181 M/f 1696
Campbell James Age 14 Ship Fiery Star Date 20 Nov 1864 Location IMM/112 Page 181 M/f number 1696

I found a photo of the last voyage of the Fiery Star. When it left Brisbane after the 1864 arrival of the Campbells it caught fire.

http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/miscpics/0/0/0/doc/mp000886.shtml

hope the link works.

FIERY STAR 1865
There is an account of the burning of the FIERY STAR in "The Colonial Clippers" by Basil Lubbock. He sates that the ship left Moreton Bay for London on 1st April 1865, and on 19th April, fire was discovered in the lower hold while 400 miles from Chatham Island. Captain Yule had all hatchways and ventilation pipes blocked with wetted sails and a steam pump was rigged, but the fire gained ground and on the 20th, the four remaining lifeboats (2 had been destroyed in bad weather a few days previously) were launched. The first mate (Mr Sargeant), 4 able seamen and 13 apprentices agreed to stand by the ship as there was insufficient room in the boats, while 78 passengers and crew, together with the captain left in the lifeboats. The mate continued to fight the fire and altered course to get into the track of other ships. For 21 days they fought the flames and gales until 11th May when they were sighted and rescued by the DAUNTLESS and the FIERY STAR was abandoned.

Procat
18-12-2006, 7:16 AM
Very appropriately named in the end.

A huge effort by the remaining crew members and one of the incidents that reinforces the fear of fire that accompanied all the emigrant voyages.

Omega
18-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Doug the size of the ships to the size of the sea Fire would be the last of my fears I fear. The courage of all our early explorer and the pioneers of all the countries back then overwhelms me and I wish I had taken more of an interest when I was at school. Unfortunately they make it too dry. I think they should incorporate History and Geography with Genealogy so the kids could associate with the happenings back then. A bonding if you wish.

I am full of opinions no action...lol.

Deirdre

Procat
18-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Hi Deirdre,

I can recommend a book called "The Long Farewell" by Don Charlwood which gives a very good run down on the hardships and conditions faced by the emigrants coming to Australia.

Omega
18-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Hi Deirdre,

I can recommend a book called "The Long Farewell" by Don Charlwood which gives a very good run down on the hardships and conditions faced by the emigrants coming to Australia.

Thanks Doug, I will go put it on hold online at the library now. We have a little library on the Island it is part of the Cleveland Library and if we want something special we put it on hold and they send it over for us. Great service.

Deirdre