PDA

View Full Version : Guinness Buildings

Phil
13-11-2004, 11:13 PM
I have relations in the Guinness Buildings in Bermondsey and am try to locate the area of Bermondsey was in. Also any information about the history or type of accommodation. There seem to be a number of Guinness Buildings around is there any special in the name?

Regards

Phil

Zoe Archer
14-11-2004, 4:27 PM
I have relations in the Guinness Buildings in Bermondsey and am try to locate the area of Bermondsey was in. Also any information about the history or type of accommodation. There seem to be a number of Guinness Buildings around is there any special in the name?

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil,

They were lodging houses built by Sir Edward Guinness to improve the living conditions of the London poor. They were, apparently, single rooms plus the use of a club room, shared bathroom facilities with hot and cold water baths and access to hot and cold water all day. A far cry from the slums where the water was turned on only for an hour or two per day.

At the same time buildings were erected by another philanthropist, George Peabody.

I don't believe these two gentlemen actually did the building, but their trust funds paid for them.

HTH
Cheers
Zoe Archer

AnnB
15-11-2004, 2:45 PM
Quote from 'The London Encyclopaedia' (published 1983)
Guinness Trust - Formed in 1890 by Sir Edward Guinness to provide housing for the urban poor. The first estate was at Brandon Street, Walworth. There were also estates at Lever Street, Finsbury and Pages Walk, Bermondsey - these have been totally reconstructed on site by the Trust. The estates in Vauxhall Square, Lambeth and Brandon Street were sold to local authorities for demolition and redevelopment. The four remaining estates, Draycott Avenue, Chelsea; Columbia Road, Bethnal Green; Snow's Fields, Bermondsey; and Fulham Palace Road are being partly demolished and partly converted into flats.

Hope that helps
Ann

Phil
15-11-2004, 5:42 PM
Thank you for this info. It is most enlightening.

Regards

Phil

Denise
19-11-2004, 6:56 PM
Snowfields is close to Guys Hospital, hope that helps to to pinpoint area denise

Phil
19-11-2004, 9:18 PM
Snowfields is close to Guys Hospital, hope that helps to to pinpoint area denise

Thanks Denise. I have just found a Guinness Court in Snowfields which I will have a look at next time I'm in London. I'm sure things will have changed a bit!

Phil

Vossy
14-06-2005, 7:09 AM
I lived in Guinness Buildings in Pages Walk, Bermondsey ( Just off the Old Kent Road. The flats were large Victorian blocks built by the Guinness Trust for poor people. There were Guinness Trust buildings all over London. The flats were not luxurious by todays standards. Thee were four large blocks of buildings and each block had about six entrances. These entrances let to concrete staircases and there were four flats on each landing. The size of the flats varied but most were just two rooms. A living room/kitchen (this had a range(coal or gas) but no running water) and one bedroom. The toilets and sinks( two of each) were outside the flats on each landing and were shared by 4 families. The baths were in two seperate blocks and it was possible to bath on only two days a week. My grandfather was one of the caretakers ( they were called porters) and one of his duties was to stoke the boilers to heat hot water for the baths. The baths were in cubicles and you had to pay( I think it was 2d) and he would run the bath for you ( there were no taps, he had a brass tap which fitted on the square spindle to operate the tap so you couldn't take extra hot water). There was no electricity in the flats, all the lights were gas mantles. I lived there as a small child until about 1960 and they eventually put in electricity in about 1962/3. The flats were demolished in about 1970 and a brand new flats were built. They are still there. We moved away to Guinness Buildings in Kennington Park Road ( where we had our own bath) and they are also still there.
Gunness Trust now have houses and flats all over the UK.
That description of the flats makes me sound ancient but I am only talking about 45 years ago in central London! I am only 52 myself.
I have an excellent photograph of the old Victorian block in Pages Walk if you would like a copy. If your relatives lived in this block, my parents may well remember them. What were their names?

Ken Boyce
14-06-2005, 10:51 AM
I believe there were two brothers in the family brewery business

One or both of the brothers were big into real estate. In 1932 the family purchased for the sum of $75,000, 4000 acres of land in a huge sweep of mountainside along the North Shore of Vancouver's Burrard Inlet with the intention of developing upper class real estate The story goes that venture almost went bankrupt because no-one from the upper classes was interested in travelling the ferries across the harbour to and from the City's business area on the south side of the Inlet. Passage by road around the shoreline was blocked by the mountains, the Capilano River and a deep wide fiord known as Indian Arm.

In desperation or inspiration, depending upon who is telling the story, the Guinness Trust via its syndicate company British Pacific Properties Ltd built a bridge across the entrance to Vancouver Harbour The bridge was completed in 1938 at a cost of some 5.8M. The bridge at 1517m was at that time the longest suspension bridge in the British Empire. It was operated as a toll bridge by the Guinness family until 1963 at which time it was sold to the British Columbia Government.

Today the bridge in question is the famous North Pacific landmark known as the Lions Gate Bridge named after the mountain peak which frames as you travel across it to reach the north shore Ė oh and the mountainside development now consists of multi-million $ homes

Regards

Ed McKie
28-06-2005, 3:27 AM
That description of the flats makes me sound ancient but I am only talking about 45 years ago in central London! I am only 52 myself.

I recall visiting a similar block of flats in about 1970 as part of my job, it was in the Borough as I recall in a back Street not far down from London Bridge. I am reasonably certain it was not the Snowsfields one. Anyway I remember the outside toilets, and have often wondered in recent years if my memory was playing me tricks ( I am considerably older than 52!) So thanks for that description of what "modern" homes for the poor were like even as recently as that.

Ed

Karen Steel
09-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Hello Vossy,

I have just come across your message, and was very interested in what you had to say.

My Grandfather was born in the Guinness Buildings, Snowsfields, I am not sure if that is the same one as yours?

He was called Albert Henry Steel, b1914, at 322 Guinness Buildings, and his mother and father were James Henry Steel, and Eleanor Steel. His father was a Carman/Journeyman.

Is this the same building do you know, and I would be very interested in any photos you may have, and whether any of your family remember the Steels?

Many thanks, Kind Regards, Karen Steel

sylviestroud
29-08-2006, 6:58 PM
My Mother's grandparents lived in Guiness Buildings 70 years ago. The surname was Dennis and they lived there with their children. The names of some of the children were Albert, Rose, Kit, George, Harry and maybe a couple of others! She doesn't remember the other names. I wonder if those names are remembered? My Mother remembers the name Peabody quite distinctly remembers going elsewhere and paying for a bath. She would be very interested to know if anyone remembers the name Dennis from around that time. Also any copies of photographs would be very welcome if you have them please.

Roderick
27-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Dear Vossy and Karen,

I lived in Harold Estate, Pages Walk (which was right next to Guiness Buildings) but I moved from there in 1955. My father and grandparents lived in the Snowfields Guiness Buildings at no. 295. My grandafther was born in 1863 his name was William, his wife Adelide was two years younger. They had 7 children, all living in this flat - it must have been incredibly cramped! Unfortunately none of them are living. I am trying to make contact with other relatives for more info and photographs.

Kind regards, Roderick Ebdon

Douglas
25-09-2007, 11:22 AM
I lived in Guinness Buildings, Pages Walk aound 1935 as a young child with my parents Alfred & Dora Milsom. at 261 G Block, until I was around 4-5 years old. I was very interested to read your letter and would be very interested in obtaining a picture of this site. I can well remember the toilets and sinks being outside the flat, also there was a school close by towards the Old Kent Road where I started at the age of possibly 4 yrs. old. My grandmother also lived there, her name was Caroline Cussen. Would be interested to hear from you.

Douglas.

alfie1812
13-10-2007, 4:04 PM
Hi.
My father was born in Guinness buildings in Snowfields in 1913. I have a photo of the building that I took last year. If you can send me

Alf Clark

Vossy
20-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Douglas

If you supply you e mail address I will send a brilliant photo of the old flats in Pages Walk as well as a copy of the old tenacy agreement and terms and conditions

Regards
Vossy

Vossy
20-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Pages Walk school is still there but it is now a block of flats!

Vossy

Douglas
23-10-2007, 9:06 AM
Thank you for message. I would very much appreciate a picture of the old Guinness Buildings and of the tenancy agreement. My email address is:

Many thanks,

Douglas.

Jacqueline
24-10-2007, 1:40 PM
Hi My mum lived in Guiness Buildings in Pages Walk in the 1958 - 1963 Her married name was Maureen Baldwin - Maiden name Carpenter. My Grandparernts lived in the Guiness Buildings Kennington Park Road from 1940's - 1966 approx. There name was Carpenter - my nans maiden name was Kelly.

I wonder if your parents remember them ?

Kind Regards Jackie

kevinmccullen
23-01-2008, 9:52 AM
I lived in Guinness Buildings in Pages Walk, Bermondsey ( Just off the Old Kent Road. The flats were large Victorian blocks built by the Guinness Trust for poor people. There were Guinness Trust buildings all over London. The flats were not luxurious by todays standards. Thee were four large blocks of buildings and each block had about six entrances. These entrances let to concrete staircases and there were four flats on each landing. The size of the flats varied but most were just two rooms. A living room/kitchen (this had a range(coal or gas) but no running water) and one bedroom. The toilets and sinks( two of each) were outside the flats on each landing and were shared by 4 families. The baths were in two seperate blocks and it was possible to bath on only two days a week. My grandfather was one of the caretakers ( they were called porters) and one of his duties was to stoke the boilers to heat hot water for the baths. The baths were in cubicles and you had to pay( I think it was 2d) and he would run the bath for you ( there were no taps, he had a brass tap which fitted on the square spindle to operate the tap so you couldn't take extra hot water). There was no electricity in the flats, all the lights were gas mantles. I lived there as a small child until about 1960 and they eventually put in electricity in about 1962/3. The flats were demolished in about 1970 and a brand new flats were built. They are still there. We moved away to Guinness Buildings in Kennington Park Road ( where we had our own bath) and they are also still there.
I have an excellent photograph of the old Victorian block in Pages Walk if you would like a copy. If your relatives lived in this block, my parents may well remember them. What were their names?
Hi Vossy
I have been researching my grandfather, William Angus and discovered that he was born and lived in the Guinness Building in Page's Walk, Bermondsey (no 435 to be precise). William's father Thomas was a leather bag maker, and his mother Susan was a dress maker. Thomas was one of a large family of Angus's who worked in the leather industry throughout the second half of the nineteenth century. I have traced back to John Angus, a 'skinner' from Newcastle who came to Bermondsey in the late 1830's with his wife, Mary and 6 children. John Angus was William's great grandfather.
I was most interested in your vivid description of life in the Guinness Building flats. I wonder if your parents knew Thomas Angus?. I am compiling a document of my family research for my children and would be most interested in the photo you mentioned in your posting. Are you able to let me have a copy? I would be most grateful. Many thanks

Kevin

Eastie
02-02-2008, 1:41 AM
My name is Mike East, aged 58, my motherís maiden name was Comber. I would really appreciate a copy of your picture of the buildings as I have none what so ever. Regards the flats they were build around 1865, I believe with 2 toilets between 4 families and a boiler house for the washing on each floor.

I lived in ĎTí block opposite the bath house and porters work shop whose name was as I remember where George Horton who lived in 446 located not in the flats but adjacent to the back alley leading into Leroy street. I lived first in the middle square, when I was born, then later in ĎTí block in the last square number 455 the last flat in the buildings on the top floor. The stairs was made of flint stone and my dad use to sharpen the kitchen knife on Sundays ready to cut the Sunday joint.

Only two landings had a light the ground floor and middle floor where my Nan and Granddad used to live, their name was Comber. I use to run the whole length of the stairs from bottom to top when it was dark as the alleyway to the toilets was as black as hell and it use to **** the life out of me. Some other names I remember are:
Tony Hawkins
Tony Treadwell
Kevin Murphy
Dave Godsell
Mrs Streetly

I remember Pages Walk School as it was to be my first Secondary School but it closed for alterations as Bacon School was expanding and were taking over the building the year I should have joined so I went to Paragon instead. I also remember moving into Harald Estate around the early sixties where we had our own bathroom and toilet what a luxury that was. I would give anything to go back to the 50's, what a time that was as a kid, Dinky toys, Benno and Dandy bonfire night on the debris opposite the last square, running down the backs between the flats causing a nuisance fantastic times.

Mike

Vossy
07-02-2008, 8:07 PM
Hello Easty

I cant believe I have found someone who remembers George Horton...( it was 457)..he was my Grandad. My Mum is Doreen Horton who used to be friends with Chrissy Comber and Jean. She thinks that your nan was called Ella or something similar. Mum is 75 now and she lives near you in Welling. She also remembers Mrs Streetly and the Godsells. If you send me your e-mail address I will send those photos. one of them is taken from Pages walk by the wall of the railway sidings. It is a great photo and it clearly shows T block. The other is a pic of my nan with mum and her brother as kids outside T block.
I lok forward to hearing from you and swapping stories.

Regards

Vossy

Mutley
08-02-2008, 1:09 AM
I still have friends in Guiness Trust in Kennington Park Road.

Don't know if Dobson and Badger ring any bells.

muddy waters
19-02-2008, 4:41 PM
I have been trying to discover for some time; more about my grandfather's brother. He is known to have lived in Guinness Buildings, Hammersmith in the 1940s. I am not too sure whether these buildings are the same ones that you are discussing here? Just in case, his name was John William Courtney, and his wife was Helena. I believe they had three daughters, although there may well be other children. The known daughters were Mabel, Susan and Eileen. One of whom is believed to have married someone of french origin. They would have moved to London from Cardiff sometime after 1927. John died in 1948 and his wife in 1958. Can anyone help me please. Thank you

Vossy
21-02-2008, 8:49 PM
The Guinness block in Hammersmith is way over on the west side of London.

Vossy

Vossy
21-02-2008, 8:53 PM
I will send you an e mail with copies of the photos of the Pages Walk blocks and also the block at Kennington Park Road. I lived in the Kennington Park Road block from about 1959 until 1972 or 73.

muddy waters
22-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Many thanks Vossy, it was worth a try

Muddy

The Guinness block in Hammersmith is way over on the west side of London.

Vossy

loaupp
23-02-2008, 3:46 PM
Hi everyone I'm a new member. I wonder if anyone can remember my Dads' family. They lived at 447 Guinness Buildings. My Dad was born there in 1914. Their names were Richard and Sarah Roberts. My Dads' name was Leonard. They had five or six children I believe and I think my Dad was the youngest. I remember be told that one child had been run over and killed while they lived there. Until I started to read the messages I had thought of the Buildings as being self contained flats with all the amenities (shows what a pampered life I've had doesn't it). My Dad only used to talk of the mischief he got up to with the other children and not of the actual flat.

Eastie
24-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Hi Loaupp

My Mothers family, Comber also lived in T block at 447 during the late 40's 50's and my nan was the last of the family to live in the flat until she was moved into the newly built flats. My mum, dad, sister and me moved eventually into 455, 6th Floor. I do rememeber that the family who lived on the ground floor lost a young child I think named Sylvester who was run over by a milk float in Web street this would have been late 50's. We as kids also got up to mischief by climbing on the shed roofs and being chased by the porters.

We had to share a toilet with the family next door which was great fun at night as there was no lighting on our landing, we used a candle talk about the dark ages. We didn't have electricity until the very late 50's early 60's. My first memories of television was Yogi Bear.

My Mothers name was Helen or Nell my dad's name was Fred, surname East.

loaupp
25-02-2008, 6:01 PM
Thanks Eastie for the info. I think my Grandparents had moved from the area by the time you lived there. In the 1950s we were all living in either Romford or Mitcham.

Regards
Tricia

Simon in Bucks
30-03-2008, 5:10 PM
My Great Grandmother and her 3 young sons from her 1st marriage lived at 306 Guinness Buildings - Bermondsey with her 2nd husband.

She was Harriet Annie Holding (nee Mott) - born 1876
Her 2nd husband was Henry Lorton - born 1877 - he was a Blacksmith (and his nickname was Grubby ! It all matched when I got their Marriage cert - they married on 25th Dec 1911)

Vossy
05-04-2008, 6:31 PM
Simon

did you get the photos by e mail

Vossy

Simon in Bucks
06-04-2008, 6:40 AM
Simon

did you get the photos by e mail

Vossy

Yes I did thanks for that - I had also PM'd you to say thanks. Most appreciated indeed.

Really interesting to see the pic of where they lived.

CORINNE27
30-04-2008, 8:54 AM
Hi I am just found out that my ancestors lived in these buildings and now trying to find out at what point they moved away and how long they were here. Charles Robert and Lilian Kate Day were definetly living at #201 1918-1921 Im just waiting for more certificates. I know the message is very old but has anyone still got any photographs or anything I would be really interested as the Day's have been my most frustrating journey of finding anything! Im guessing they were there most of the 1920's too as they had four children, Charles Ronald Joyce and Dorothy.
I have found Joyce and her father living in Morden Surrey in 1050 when Charles died, but I dont know what happened to Ronald or Dorothy. Ronald was last seen living in a caravan in Staines in the 1950's so not much luck!!!

Thanks a lot
Corinne|banghead|

hannah1941
02-05-2008, 8:10 PM
Good evening everyone, this is my first venture into Genealogy,
I have, today, discovered that my Father Henry Burt Boxall was born at 105 Guinness Buildings Vauxhall Walk on 29th July 1907 his parents were John & Emma Boxall. I would be so pleased to hear of any other connections with this building or the family. Many thanks Hannah

mickj
30-06-2008, 4:10 PM
Hello all, I have just joined BG but have been researching my family for 18mths.
My paternal Great Grandmother Phoebe Muskett previously Williamson lived
at 150 G Block, Guinness Buildings, Brandon St, Newington, London with her daughter, my Grandmother Gertrude Williamson. Phoebe is on the 1901 census and died there in 1919.
Grandma Gertrude was living there from 1901 census until her marriage in 1913.
Does anyone have an knowledge of this particular building and hopefully a photo. I have read all the previous posts on this subject and found them very interesting.
Heres hoping
Mickj

Rachie
08-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Hello everyone....newbie here so I hope I post in the right place!
The thread about guinness trust building led me to join the forum...and I have enjoyed reading all the threads so far.
I have just found relations in my tree who lived at pages walk, No 223, Im not sure what block, and Im not sure where to find out. They were John and Henrietts Henderson, and their children Henry and Hetty....on the 1901 census...does anyone remember them, or can suggest where to go for more info?
many thanks.

Waitabit
09-07-2008, 5:07 AM
My this is like old home week!!
Never been there but my Maternal G'Mother Lucretia Martin was living there according to her death certificate dated first Sep. 1901...Her Daughter Elizabeth Dansie, & Hubby John Dansie also lived there with there children at no.59 Pages Walk. ward 3- village or hamlet 20..from the census image. G'mother was never found on 1901 census but may have been in Hospital. Cause of death Apoplexy.age 58

Is this the same Building? I did find it in Kennington on Multi map but there wasanother nearby. Can anyone clarify which bldg housed no.59 please?
Better still can anyone find the Dansie Family for me?

cheers Wendy

mickj
09-07-2008, 8:57 AM
Hi, John and Elizabeth DANSIE are on the 1901 census at 59, Pages Walk, Bermondsey. This is a Guiness Building but is not seperated into blocks as the number of dwellings goes right up to 458. There is no trace of Lucretia MARTIN. The DANSIE family consisted of John b 1873 in Halstead, Essex
Elizabeth age 24 born Bermondsey
Elizabeth age 5. Ada age 1. Jane age 3 all born Bermondsey.
Pages WAlk is just on the North East side of the Old Kent Road.
On the 1881 census there is a family of MARTIN living at 78, Lynton Road, Bermondsey which is near Pages Walk. Lucretia is aged 37 with Husband James and many children including Elizabeth age 4.
I hope this is of use to you.
Mickj

Waitabit
09-07-2008, 9:59 AM
Thanks Mickj, yes, I have that Dansie info thank you. James died in 1893 leaving Lucretia a widow & evidently living with Elizabeth before illhealth set in. I wasn't sure where the bldg. was.
I've found spouses for the Dansie Girls later but can't find anyone who knows them.ie Elizabeth Dansie & George Stewart,...Jane Dansie & George Wharton, & Ada Dansie & william Henry T. Hough.& maybe Ernest J. Dansie b.1913.

the 1881 census lot are mine,along with many others. :)

Cheers Wendy

BrendaE
12-07-2008, 9:54 AM
Hi.
My father was born in Guinness buildings in Snowfields in 1913. I have a photo of the building that I took last year. If you can send me

Alf Clark

Hallo Alf,
My father was born in the Guiness buildings in Snowsfields in 1909 so perhaps you knew each other! He was Arthur Hand. His parents were George and Rosina. His older brothers were George and Frederick. Freddy drowned in the Thames near London Bridge in 1917. His younger brother and sister were Thomas and Rose.
I would love, simply love, to have a copy of your photo if there is any chance of your sending me a copy. I'm new to the forum and am not quite sure what one does to give one's email address but perhaps you know.

Mutley
12-07-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm new to the forum and am not quite sure what one does to give one's email address but perhaps you know.

Brenda, if you click on a members name, beside the (green dot if they are online, blue if not). A list drops down. You can click on
'send a private message' and then you can give your email address to them or
'View Public Profile' where there is a link to send them an email.

Hope this helps you get in touch with Alf.

BrendaE
13-07-2008, 9:47 PM
Many thanks Mutley. What a kind and helpful lot the contributors to this forum seem to be.

Mutley
13-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Alfie is trying to get in touch and more than willing to send you a photo.

As you say, we have very kind members always prepared to help out, it sure makes a change from what you read in the newspapers these days.

Let us know if you make contact.
As well as being kind we are also a bit on the nosey side;)

BrendaE
14-07-2008, 12:40 AM

As you say, we have very kind members always prepared to help out, it sure makes a change from what you read in the newspapers these days.

Thank you Mutley. I sent off a garbled email to Alfie this a.m. so hopefully we'll sort things out. As for being nosey, well, a bit of nose goes a long way, particularly when on the genealogical road.

Now, I have a photgraph of a large group of children, including my father and aunt, taken in the court of what is presumed to be the Guinness Buildings. Judging from the look of my father, I'd say it was taken around 1920-22. If anyone would like me to email it to them, please let me know. You never know, you might find a relative. My cousin in NZ sent it to me because his mother is in it but he didn't realise my father was in it too. What a bonus!
Oh yes, I also have a photo of a group of Bermondsey boys that includes my father and his brother. Dad looks a bit older in that one but I couldn't be sure when it was taken. Anyway, anyone who wants to take a look, just email me.

hannah1941
15-07-2008, 8:19 AM
Hi guys

I would be thrilled if I could have a copy of the picture taken outside in the court, its great knowing other folk are trying to do similar research it helps with the 'dead ends' I keep encountering. Take care HH|help|

BrendaE
19-07-2008, 9:39 AM

Not only did I make contact with Alfie but it turns out we both lived on the Downham Estate and went to the same school for a while! Howzat then? Life can sometimes bring some very pleasant surprises in the most unexpected of ways.

Vossy
20-07-2008, 4:17 PM
Mick

if you get in touch with the Londdon Borough of Southwarklocal studies library, Borough High street I believe they have a picture of the brandon street Guiness Buildings.

Vossy

BrendaE
20-07-2008, 10:23 PM
It may be that I have been misinformed about the location of the group of children in the court. It may have been taken in Great Maze Court, Bermondsey rather than the Guinness Buildings. I apologise for misleading you but still hope someone finds a familiar face.

Mutley
20-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Not only did I make contact with Alfie but it turns out we both lived on the Downham Estate and went to the same school for a while! Howzat then? Life can sometimes bring some very pleasant surprises in the most unexpected of ways.

I do love a happy ending http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/HeadyGirl/applause1.gif

BrendaE
21-07-2008, 12:38 AM
But wait - there's more. Turns out we both lived in Kennington as well! Wait for the next one ...

mickj
21-07-2008, 7:20 AM
Hi Vossy, Thanks for that info I shall contact Southwark and will post what ever I get back
Mickj

BrendaE
22-07-2008, 2:21 AM
I have got a photograph of a group of schoolgirls (in uniform) which includes my aunt aged, perhaps, about 8yrs so that would be c1924 - but this is just a guess. As far as I know, she attended Snowsfield School, Bermondsey. The school is not shown, rather, they appear to be in some sort of garden. If anyone wants a copy to peruse the faces, please let me know.
Brenda

Vossy
19-08-2008, 5:32 PM
If I have forgotten to send a copy of the photo of the flats to anyone please let me know.

Vossy

Glemor
20-09-2008, 7:35 PM
My father (Henry Dennis) was born in Guinness buildings, Snowsfields in 1912, and often spoke of the Steels as Tommy Steele was famous in the 60's.

I can remember a story he told of he and the other boys in the building deliberately giving themselves minor wounds in October so they could go to casualty at Guy's hospital, just round the corner, and thus qualify for invitations to the annual children's Christmas party!

lall
14-10-2008, 6:45 PM
If I have forgotten to send a copy of the photo of the flats to anyone please let me know.

Vossy
I am new to the forum, and would very much like a photo please. My grandmother Gladys was born at 338 Pages Walk in 1901 just after the census to Frederick and Fanny Wiltshier. Unfortunately Frank died of flu guarding POWs in the Isle of Man in 1917 and the family had to move out to the Workhouse - so much for social housing - and I am trying to find out where they went next as she was so traumatised by the episode she would never talk about it.
Cheers, Louise

benny1982
16-10-2008, 7:05 PM
Hi

There was a Guinness Estate in Walworth.

As said, the Guiness was one of several companies that built model dwellings for the poor of London to escape from the slums. Better sanitation, water facilities but there were several rules and regulations for occupancy like tenants were not allowed to underlet or take in lodgers.

Ben

muppet
02-11-2008, 7:10 PM
|help||help|Hi all I am a newcomer to the site, can any one tell me if Barnaby buildings Bermondsey off the Old Kent Road, opp side to The Bricklayers was a Guiness trust site? My great nan, nan and mother lived there and I have been trying to find some background but have found no references - my mother always refers to it as Bermondsey buildings, she also mentions Leroy Street Primary school which I can't find. I have found a ref to school conversion flats for sale in Leroy street.

Muppet

Vossy
03-11-2008, 3:16 PM
Hello

Barnaby Buildings were not part of Guinness Buildings. My Mum thinks that Barnaby buildings were(are) in webb Street which is just round the corner from Leroy Street( just off Tower Bridge Road), Leroy Street school is also known as Pages Walk School. The primary school entrane was in Leroy St and the older kids used the Pages Walk entrance. Boys and Girls used seperate entrances and the old gates are still there with "boys" and "girls" written in stone over the top. The building is now flats. There was also a school in Webb Street.
If you let me have your e mail address by Private Message I will send a photo of the Bricklayers Arms junction from the 1960s

Vossy

Vossy
03-11-2008, 4:40 PM
Here is the photo of Guinness Buildings, Pages Walk , Bermondsey. It is taken from Pages Walk and I think it was taken in the 1950s or early 1960s.

Vossy

http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq53/vossy53/GBLDGS.jpg

Eastie
04-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Hi Vossy, I think that your photo is much earlier than the 50's I lived in 'T' block in the late 50's having moved from the middle square and at that time the iron railings had been replaced and a gate was installed at the entrance to the square plus and an electrical sub station had been built at the end of the bath house. There was also a wall built around the garden which was managed by the hewit's who live in the end square. We lived at 455 'T' block our last name is East, and my nan who lived 447 her name was Comber my mums maiden name.

Mike

benny1982
04-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Hi

That block must of had hundreds of tenements. Is that building still there now?

They probably had plenty of beer there lol?

This is nothing to do with Guinness Buildings but my ancestors lived in a tenement building, Evelyn Buildings, Holborn in 1882-1889. I have done extensive research on the building and it still stands today which is amazing.

Ben

Marie C..
04-11-2008, 3:23 PM
Just for interest there is a book called Worlds End , a memoir of a blitz childhood ,by Donald James Wheal who lived in Guinness Trust Buildings . Worlds End was the poor end of Chelsea. The author gives a list of those who died there in the bombing on feb 23rd. 1944.
Marie

muppet
04-11-2008, 7:13 PM
What a great picture Vossy.
It brings to life mums stories
2 rooms and a small scullery
one bedroom with one large bed that filled the room - housing my mum, her grandmother, my grandmothers eldest son and his partner top to tail.
She does say although they were all very poor she had a wonderfully happy childhood. She lived there from 1926.

Muppet

Vossy
06-11-2008, 8:14 PM
Benny

There were 457 tenements in the buildings. Sadly they were all pulled down in the late sixties.

Vossy

Vossy
06-11-2008, 8:17 PM
Eastie

My Mum thinks that the Hewitts lived in the next door estate..The Harold Estate. Some of the people there had gardens. I remember the sub station..and its still there at the end of the new block of Guinness Buildings. When we moved away in about 1958 there was still no electricity in the flats at all!
Mum remembers the Combers.

Vossy

Eastie
08-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi Vossy, itís possible that the Hewittís did move into Harold estate at some point as we did in the late 50ís early 60ís but in the 50ís they lived in 'S' block next to us in 'T' block. I use to play with John Hewitt in the square and my cousin is still good friends with Rosy. Some years later when they refurbished The Harold Estate the ground floor flat's did have gardens as my dad did when he lived at number 1 Harold Estate.

mark3110
10-11-2008, 10:59 PM
It's amazing what one can find when there isn't anything on the TV.
I had no idea this forum existed but I'm glad I found it.

Not sure of the dates; I will try and find out more, but my Grandfather was Estate "Superintendent" of Snowsfields sometime after WW2 until the late
50's I think. My father was also the Superintendent of Pages walk from around 1966 to 75ish. He oversaw the movement of tenents from the old blocks, in the great photo from Vossey, into the new flats built in the 70's.
I was actually born in the guinness trust estate in Loughborough Park, Brixton.

The School next door to the flats was called Bacon's, and Grange Junior School was in Webb Street.

I done a quick search and found this link that may be of interest.
http://www.housingcorp.gov.uk/upload/pdf/LH0036_CONS_001.pdf

This thread makes great reading:)

Regards
Mark

Mutley
10-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Guinness Trust Buildings (http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/391646) in Kennington Park Road.

Dose not seem to have changed much, other than the white lines in the road. :)

benny1982
11-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Hi

I think the LMA has many electoral registers even for the 1950s so there is always a chance that the Hewitt's may appear on them at the Harold Estate.

Ben

Vossy
12-11-2008, 6:58 PM
Mark

When I lived in the Kennington Guinness Buildings we used to play football agaist the Loughborough block. What was your dads name? My parents will probably remember him.

My grandad was the porter at Pages Walk for years, He was George Horton. I have a photo of him sitting outside the bath block.

Vossy

mark3110
12-11-2008, 7:30 PM
Vossy

My dads name is Frank Grattan.
I remember George. He used to have the flat out near the back gate, it used to get locked in the evening, in fact he was the first person I thought of when I saw the old picture you posted.
I can remember George sitting out on his favorite chair taking the sun in. Funny how it was always when we were kids!

My mums aunt lived in Kennington, not sure of the surname spelling but it was Chris Debru, son Mick.

I wouldn't mind getting hold of some old photos if you are willing to share them?

M

Mutley
13-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Mine, in Kennington, then, were Badger and Dobson, others are still living there today.

In the 50's we used to walk from Clerkenwell, across Blackfriars Bridge and on to Kennington for Sunday afternoon tea! My favourite was a winkle sandwich!

muppet
13-11-2008, 6:39 PM
Mine are from Kennington too, Drury but I'm not sure the flats were Guiness Trust I wiil have to check.
Winkle sandwiches for Sunday tea yum, dad had whelks and mum cockles with the occasional rollmop from I'm not sure if it was Whites or Tubby Issacs at Kennington. We would walk from Stockwell!

Vossy
13-11-2008, 8:13 PM
Mark

Just spoken to my Mum and she remembers your Dad. George used to lock that gate every night at about 7. When we used to go down we had to shout to get him to open the gate. Quite often he had the TV on so loud we couldn't get him to hear so we had to walk all the way round to Pages Walk and get in that way.
George didn't retire till he was 75 and he was still carrying sacks of coal up to the top floors of the buildings for people.

Vossy

Vossy
13-11-2008, 8:16 PM
Mutley

I remember Gary Dobson at Kennington. He was a very good footballer his dad died suddenly when he was about 9 or 10.

The winkles and whelks always came from Bob Whites on the corner of Newington Butts and Kennington Lane

Vossy

Mutley
13-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Mutley

I remember Gary Dobson at Kennington. He was a very good footballer his dad died suddenly when he was about 9 or 10.

The winkles and whelks always came from Bob Whites on the corner of Newington Butts and Kennington Lane

Vossy

You don't happen to know if Dad was John? I'll ask auntie K. It will have to be by letter, she don't do email. :D

And Muppet, Whites it was. ;)

Eastie
14-11-2008, 6:25 PM
I rememeber winkles we always had them for Sunday tea, we use to pick the black bit out of the shell and stick it on our face, I don't know why but it seemed to be the thing to do. As a matter of interest did anyone else do this or was it just us. Also does anyone remember old kipper feet he use to come round the square selling ice cream in the summer and toffee apples in the winter on his three wheeled bike.

Mike

muppet
15-11-2008, 1:22 PM
;)We did the same with our winkles, they were beauty spots!! We also used to count them as in Tinker, Tailor the same with Prune stones when eaten.
Thanks all Whites it is, having tried ones we caught a couple of times I remember wishing we could afford some prawns or crab. I was very sick one night having piled too many winkles onto my buttered (echo marg) muffin, went off them for weeks. Do they still sell them in pints? Almost as good as pie and mash.|biggrin|

Muppet

muppet
16-11-2008, 6:39 PM
Hi all I have spoken with mum again and need help identifying this building It isn't were I originally thought. Mum is 83 and her memory is not what it was, the tenements were next to the Leroy street school, a wall divided the school from them, mum would hop over the wall when she wanted to get out of school. She remembers large water tanks on the roof that she used to play with in the hot weather, around the corner leading to the bricklayers was a butchers, post office and chemist. She recalls the buildings as being called Bermondsey Buildings, built around an inner courtyard where she used to play! The cerificates that I have say Barnaby Buildings, L---y M-ss- Bermondsey, the middle line is very difficult to read it looks like Leroy but the second word is not street.
Mums best friend was Becky Ash.
Any suggestions out there?
Muppet

Vossy
17-11-2008, 8:07 PM
Muppet

With the aid of my specs and a magnifying glass I have just found Bermondsey Buildings on an old 1914 map. I didn't know they had print that small!!

Bermondsey Buildings seems to be a street which runs from Tower Bridge Road to the backs of the houses in Leroy Street. It is (was) between Aberdour Street and the northern end of Leroy street.

I will try to scan it and will send it to you if ou let me have your e mail by private message

Vossy

benny1982
20-11-2008, 5:48 PM
Guinness Buildings were similar to Peabudy Buildings. Hunderds of such tenement blocks were built across London in the 1880s and 1890s built by all sorts of companies.

The tenement block that my ancestors lived in was built by a Church fund.

Ben

Roderick
26-11-2008, 4:32 PM
Vosssy
I lived at 39 Harold Estate until 1955.My bedroom faced Guiness Buildings the Hewitts lived in the flat below ours, two of my friends were Peter Fedon and Jimmy Rolfe I also remember the Ashdowns and the Fosters, The caretaker was Mr Stace,
Rod.

Vossy
17-12-2008, 8:08 PM
Hello Rod

I remember Mr Stacey. Everyone was scared of him because he was a strict caretaker. My Mum was best mates with his daughter Sylvie. Iam still in touch with Sylvies daughters.

Regards

Vossy

Eastie
20-12-2008, 1:30 AM
Vossy was one of Sylvia's daughters name Christine as I used to date a girl called Christine who I think was the caretakers granddaughter. I lived in flat 66 and looked down on the caretakers flat below but I can't remember her last name. The year would have been in the early sixties.

Mike

Vossy
21-12-2008, 4:38 PM
Mike

Mr Stacey's children were John,Lester,Josie,Florrie and Sylvie. Sylvies children were Josephine( she is 55 now), Helen(53), Kathleen(51) and Jimmy (in his mid 40s). Josephine has only just moved from Bermonsey(she lived down the lue somewhere) out to Essex.

Regards

Vossy

Eastie
22-12-2008, 1:43 AM
Thanks Vossy I think I'm a generation out of step some where however I do rememeber Lester Stacey, he would be about my age almost 60.

Mike

hannah1941
20-01-2009, 3:36 PM
Hi Guys Does anyone have any information relating to Guinness Buildings in Vauxhall Walk Lambeth????? My father was born there 1907 the family name Boxall and they lived at 107 Cheers Heather Hall

acrise
27-01-2009, 5:27 PM
I have, today, discovered that my Father Henry Burt Boxall was born at 105 Guinness Buildings Vauxhall Walk on 29th July 1907 his parents were John & Emma Boxall. I would be so pleased to hear of any other connections with this building or the family. Many thanks Hannah

My husband's grandfather, Patrick Lohan was living at 209/214 The Guiness Building at Vauxhall in 1911. He and his wife, Julia, were deaf mutes and he was originally from Ballygar in Roscommon County, Ireland. They had 3 children living there in the 1911 census, Laurence, Mary & Bridget and one other child had died. My father in law, John Patrick Lohan was their first born but had been sent to Gloucester to live - we think to correct his stammer. He was born in 1903 and we don't know what the Gloucester connection was except the surname of the family there was Heaney, another Irish name. Patrick was in the 1901 census as a french polisher living with 2 other deaf mutes at 2 Canterbury Terrace, East Islington. In the 1911 census he is registered as a convent servant. The family was catholic and we presume the church must have had some input into his migration from Ireland to London, bearing in mind his infirmity. I have tried the RNID but they say they have no records going back that far. They were only established in 1911. Can anyone suggest where more information can be found on this family please?

kevinmccullen
28-01-2009, 8:43 AM
Hi

This reply is rather wide of the current discussions but last year I was enquiring about my Grandfather William Angus who lived in the Guinness Buildings in Page's Walk. Vossey kindly sent me a wonderful photo of the building - thanks again. William had several brothers and sisters born there between 1898 and 1909 living in No 265 and later 435. The parents were Thomas and Susan Angus. Just thought I would write again in case any new members might have heard of them. My main reason for writing follows a comment about the 1911 census. Try as I might, I cannot find the Guinness Buildings in Page's Walk included. Does anyone know if the whole block was missed?

Kevin

dwight
01-02-2009, 6:31 PM
Hi

I am trying to trace a surname of a relative Beatrice. I have some clues that my relatives Annie Ryall lived and died in Guinesses Building, Pages Walk in Bermondsey in 1954. Her sister Beatrice (I have no surname for her) lived next door on the same landing in same building.

I was wondering when I saw other messages relating to Guiness Buildings, you recalled the time in the building. Do you remember two sisters in 1954 by any chance?

They were both colourful characters. Beatrice came back to England from Australia before Second World War and have been married few times. Which is why we cannot recall the surname!

dwight

Vossy
01-02-2009, 7:04 PM
Dwight

I will ask my Mum when I speak to her next. She lived in the buildings at the time you mention. I will get back to you.

Vossy

Emmie Boo
04-02-2009, 9:27 PM
Wow just read ALL the threads just incase i hit upon my relatives who resided there between 1898 and 1902. Sadly no but they were called Milarick(last known modern spelling, it changed many times) in case anyone should read and recognise the name. Fascinating to read about and see the picture, helps me imagine it all that much more.
Thanks.:)

Vossy
10-02-2009, 8:51 PM
Kevin

Try various cominations ie Guinness Bldgs etc...they all come up then

Vossy

Vossy
10-02-2009, 9:00 PM
When we were kids in the buildings there were four front doors on each landing( two each sude facing each other). All the doors had knockers!!! We used to tie all the knockers together and bang one. When the person opened the door, looked and saw no one there, they shut the door which then let the string go making the other knockers bang on the doors. Great fun.

I remember "bagwash" days at the flats. There were no washing machines or facilities(except sinks) and most people sent their washing to a local laundry, Maxwells. They used to come round in a van and the driver used to shout " BAGWASH" at the top of his voice. This was a signal for dozens of windows to fly open and large white sacks containing dirty linnen were then thrown out (even from the top windows) to the driver. Not a good place to be walking past.

Vossy

Sharon57
12-02-2009, 2:43 PM
Hi new to forum today, as I was looking for info about the Guinness Buildings, Snowfields Bermondsey. My Grandmother was living there with her mother and father and brothers. Her name was Kate Elizabeth Hicks and her parents were Henry and Kate. I think it was number 354. Also, going back to one of the other links. Tommy Steele's grandfather was a Hicks apparently and it does seem to be that my great grandfather and his grandfather may have been brothers.
If anyone has any info about anything that might help it would be very much appreciated. I live in Spain and find it hard to get to record offices etc.

Thanks

dwight
13-02-2009, 6:50 PM
Hi I know I posted my message earlier about two sisters. I found out from the library who was kindly found out the surname for me. It was Beatrice Finlay. The library found more - Annie and Charles Ryall were at no: 123 and Beatrice lived at no: 124.

Hope this helps
dwight

dwight
13-02-2009, 6:58 PM
My late grandfather called Toomy Steele - "Mad Hicksey". Tommy's parents were Thomas Walter Hicks and Elizabeth Ellen Bennett. There is another Hicks in Bermondsey - "Mutton Eye Hicks".

eddclark
17-02-2009, 3:47 PM
Hi I know I posted my message earlier about two sisters. I found out from the library who was kindly found out the surname for me. It was Beatrice Finlay. The library found more - Annie and Charles Ryall were at no: 123 and Beatrice lived at no: 124.

Hope this helps
dwight

New member. Had a Email from 'Grubheam' re Beatrice Finlay. I am computer illiterate...how do I access his message. Ed|banghead|

Procat
18-02-2009, 8:42 AM
If you mean that you were sent a Private Message from the forum you can find it after you log on.

Log on to the forum then look to the right of the screen. You will see the words Private Messages. Just click on them and you will be taken to your inbox. Then just click on the title of the message and away you go.

Terrie Hounsome
19-02-2009, 9:42 AM
My Father Jack Holmes was the superintendent of Vauxhall in 1945, then moved to Snowsfields about 1946, great delight the 'Supers flat had a toilet and bath in the kitchen ,with a pine board on the top which doubled up as a kitchen table,my parents made many friends here. Mr and Mrs Blackband and their two children Michael and Patsy took over in 1948, as my parents then went to run the Guinness Trust Holiday Home in South Heighton.
Tenants from all the London area buildings used to buy stamps per week, for their holiday, they used to travel down by Southdown Coach, and spend one or two weeks in the summer at South Heighton., Four meals a day were provided, which my mother and father used to prepare.
The Villiagers used to gain a lot from the London visitors, I remember my Mother Brdget used to encourage interaction between the two, and they helped fund a play ground for the local children.
At the end of each week there was a sports day, and the children raced, the money was raised from the housey housey played by the grown ups, and really lovely toys were provided for the children, everyone got one, after this the grown ups used to join in and race, which we all loved, some of the ladies used to tuck up their skirts and race.

There was always skipping at Easter at the Hampden Arms and everyone all joined in, and Christmas holidays when the visitors came were a magical time , one of the visitors usually Ollie Tyler used to dress up as Father Christmas and come up the field in front of the home, with his sack, I remember one year a dog chased him, that was the quickest Father Christmas had arrived in years..
I knew a lot of the visitors, as they came back each year, the ones that stick in my mind were he Merano family, and from Loughborough Park, Tylers, Dears, Scotts, Pucknells from Snowsfields, McGinns from Stamford Hill,
I expect many people of my age (63)remember the 'home' it flourished until we left which was in 1959, when overseas holidays were the thing, and people went on more adventourous holidays

Terrie Hounsome
19-02-2009, 10:55 AM
I note Marks comments re his Gradfather being Superintendent at Snowsfields after WWll My father Jack Holmes took over from Charlie Whighton (who later went as the Superintendent of Moyne House)I was about two, and my brother was born in Lambeth Hospital, I was about four when we went to South Heighton. Mr and Mrs Blackband took over from my dad, and I remember Michael used to come down on his own to the home for his holidays with our family, as my Mother was very fond of him.

Michael also visited my parents at the pub they had in Brighton after leaving the holiday home, would this be your father, I can remember Michael joing the police force, we never heard from him again after this visit.

sheila.23
22-02-2009, 3:15 PM
have enjoyed reading all about Guinness Buildings,lived there in Pages Walk, from 1941-1961. glad to hear from anyone that may have known me, Sheila Hamilton. regards,x

sheila.23
22-02-2009, 3:19 PM
This thread has mentioned a lot of names of people who are possibly still living (against forum policy) and also appears to be turning into a 'Guinness Buildings Reunited' chatroom. I do hate to ruin your fun but this is a genealogy forum so can we get the thread back 'on track' please.

Hi Ya, New to this, can you tell me, what is Forum actualy for?
and get back on track to what??
thanks.

Mutley
22-02-2009, 4:22 PM
Hi Ya, New to this, can you tell me, what is Forum actualy for?
and get back on track to what??
thanks.

The Forum, as a whole, is to help people search for information about their ancestors, the dead not the living.

It also does a very good job regarding social history, how and where they lived and what they did, their occupations, military history, wills and lifestyles etc.

Though we have a few areas where we can chat about general things not connected with family history one of the things we are not allowed to do is trace living people or search for friends and lost relatives.

The original question for this thread was

I have relations in the Guinness Buildings in Bermondsey and am try to locate the area of Bermondsey it was in. Also any information about the history or type of accommodation. There seem to be a number of Guinness Buildings around is there anything special in the name?

As the thread has mentioned living people which is against the rules, Bo Peep has asked that we return to the original question about the history of the buildings and not use it to trace people who knew you.

I think that is very fair ;)

Sharon57
23-02-2009, 5:49 PM
Hi I posted a while ago about Snowfields and the Guiness buildings it appears from various census that I had family there and also Peabody buildings. I would like to find out more about the living conditions and also what was the criteria for being eligible for accommodation in either. I assume as it was social housing applications needed to be made. Is this the case. How can I find out more. I live in Spain and rely heavily on the internet as my main source. Thanks

Vossy
01-03-2009, 2:43 PM
Sharon

I have sent a private message. I have a copy of the application form and terms of occupation.

Vossy

sleaford6363
02-03-2009, 6:16 PM
My grandmother Florence Kememty was born here in 1889. Her father was partly Hungarian Does anybody have any information about the family who lived at Guinness buildings Vauxhall bridge around 1889,and the conditions of family life there at that time.

acrise
03-03-2009, 9:34 AM
My husbands grandparents also lived there (1911 census). I have been in touch with Tim Price via The Guiness trust website (History section). There is a photo there of a group of children outside one of their buildings. He is trying to get me any information on these ancestors through the trust's archives.

Sharon57
04-03-2009, 8:43 AM
Could you tell the website address please i can't seem to be able to find it on google only the present day one and it doesnt have a history section.
Thank you

acrise
05-03-2009, 4:41 PM
hi there
the web site is www.guinnesspartnership.com/working/ - click their site map at bottom of page & then look under 'working' & you will see history.
good luck
& stay in touch
Chris

Vossy
10-03-2009, 8:47 PM
When my Mum and dad first married in 1951 their rent for a one bedroomed flat in Guinness Buildings at Pages Walk was 7s 8d (about 38p). Dad was earning about £7 a week then. I believe that the rent included rates and water rates!!!!

Vossy

Mutley
10-03-2009, 10:10 PM
When my Mum and dad first married in 1951 their rent for a one bedroomed flat in Guinness Buildings at Pages Walk was 7s 8d (about 38p). Dad was earning about £7 a week then. I believe that the rent included rates and water rates!!!!

Vossy

That is one of the interesting bits on the 1911 census, some have the rent paid beside the number of rooms. My ggrandma was paying 3/- (15p) for one room in Stanhope Buildings (similar type to Guinness) and I suspect, as a widow, it was a struggle for her to pay that. ;)

mhpcullen
11-03-2009, 9:22 PM
Hi, My Gt Grandfather Henry William Cullen is shown as living at 66 Guinness Buildings, Snowsfields in 1911 with his wife Mary Ellen. He was 57yrs old at the time and was employed as a Superintendent for the Guinness Trust, so I suppose he was involved in the administration regarding the buildings(s) and tenancy agreements, collecting rent etc. If anyone knows of the 'job description' for this role, I would appreciate a reply. I don't suppose anyone is old enough to have any knowledge of my family here! As yet, I am unable to find any old photos of these buildings and would dearly like to add a couple for the family history (In preparation for when I write it up!!). Great Forum.

Mutley
11-03-2009, 10:23 PM
As yet, I am unable to find any old photos of these buildings and would dearly like to add a couple for the family history (In preparation for when I write it up!!). Great Forum.

Check out posts 64 and 73,
and if anyone has other photos it is OK to post them on the thread using photobucket, flicker or similar hosting sites and creating links. The photos can then be right clicked and then click 'save picture as' to your own PC. :)

Welshlynne
20-03-2009, 2:07 PM
I lived in Guiness Trust in Hammersmith for a short while - at first we lived in the back -had a regular flat - dad was porter - on ground floor. When dad left Mom we moved to the front building top floor the standard 2 rooms, at least we lived on the end of the landing. Remember only too well going the bath house once a week! Was friends with a girl named June Pickett, we were a little wild! I attended Everington Secondary School on Fulham Road, been told it has since been torn down. Also had a friend who lived on Hammersmith Grove Road, she still lives there! If anyone has any pictures of the buildings - old ones - I believe I was there 1957/8 till 59/60. Would love to hear if anyone was there at the same time. Last name was Bassett, Dad Leonard, mom Violet Tryphina.

Roderick
02-04-2009, 5:23 PM
Hello we played a similar thing in Harold Estate we called it knocking down ginger. A memory I have of Pages Walk is of a little merry go round pulled by a horse,it had four little seats and steps lowered by the man he then turned it round with a handal rather like the old car starting handals.I must of cost verry little a ride perhaps a penny or half penny.Ther were also many cart horses stabled in Lynton Road these were used by Carter Patersons to deliver goods from the railway marshaling yards.This was really not all that long ago, up until the early 50'

cal247
11-04-2009, 3:46 PM
My dad Joe too was a caretaker at the Guinness Trust, first at Columbia Rd Buildings then at Loughborough Park. I would love to find an old photo of the Columbia Rd Buildings, I lived there in the early sixties as a youngster and can remember the shared bathrooms on the landing. At Loughborough Park I can remember going with my dad to lock the gate (at 9pm I think) and to round all the kids up to send them home, can you imagine such a thing happening these days!!

cal247
11-04-2009, 3:57 PM
I found this link which may be of interest to some regarding The Guinness Trust. Deed of Trust 1890 and Certificate of Incorporation 1902
www.housingcorp.gov.uk/upload/pdf/LH0036_CONS_001.pdf

cal247
11-04-2009, 4:19 PM
An interesting snippet re the Guinness Trust taken from here http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1919/dec/12/clause-1-provision-for-payment-of-money

Rear-Admiral ADAIR
I wish to support what has been said by my hon. and gallant Friend the Member for Bury St. Edmunds (Lieut.-Colonel Guinness) as to the necessity for small tenements. There are thousands of people, single women and widowers without children, who can afford to pay no more than for one room with a scullery attached, such as is supplied in numerous tenements in London by the Guinness Trust and also by the Sam Lewis Trust. These tenements are most excellent; they are sanitary and healthy. The death rate in the Guinness Trust houses in 1918 was remarkably low, much lower than the average death rate in London, and the same may be said in relation to similar tenements in my own Constituency in Glasgow.

cal247
11-04-2009, 4:29 PM
A description of Snowsfield taken from here, there is also a photo www.southwark.gov.uk/Uploads/FILE_33271.pdf
The most distinctive building on the street is the elaborate red brick
tenement development of the Guinness Trust Buildings. The main block on
Snowsfields and Kirby Grove is palatial in style, its two four-storey wings
linked by an arcade of five brick arches that give access to its central
court. The whole development is surrounded by heavy iron railings to
protect a half basement floor. A smaller block in similar style adjoins the
Rose pub. Together the buildings form a significant section of the street:
with their railings, street trees, and the block of shops and flats opposite,
they contribute to a strong urban character.

john porritt
17-04-2009, 5:30 PM

hi, my name is john porritt and i lived in pages walk buildings until 1956 in q block. i remember george horton the caretaker he lived in a house by the alley into leroy st.

TrishaVictoria
14-08-2009, 9:00 AM
:)Hello everyone, |hug|

I am a newbie! I am glad to find all this information on the Guiness building and the picture of the old building just overwhelmed me as i can remember as a child going to visit my nan when she lived there.

Maybe you may know people that remember our family on the Guiness Building. Ill give you some names and hopefully it may jog some memories and could help me with more information etc

My Mum and dad used to live in the Guiness Building around 1963-1967
Courtman and Barham

My mums Gran also used to live in that building and was known as Helen Boon AKA "Nanny Boon" who had 5 children.

If anyone remembers anything please could you get in touch? Photos and scans of any paperwork to do with the Guiness building is much appreciated!!

If i find any information ill be sure to post it on this forum for you all to see
:0) |wave|

TrishaVictoria
14-08-2009, 11:37 PM
:)Hello everyone, |hug|

I am a newbie! I am glad to find all this information on the Guiness building and the picture of the old building just overwhelmed me as i can remember as a child going to visit my nan when she lived there.

Maybe you may know people that remember our family on the Guiness Building. Ill give you some names and hopefully it may jog some memories and could help me with more information etc

My Mum and dad used to live in the Guiness Building around 1963-1967
Courtman and Barham

My mums Gran also used to live in that building and was known as Helen Boon AKA "Nanny Boon" who had 5 children.

If anyone remembers anything please could you get in touch? Photos and scans of any paperwork to do with the Guiness building is much appreciated!!

If i find any information ill be sure to post it on this forum for you all to see
:0) |wave|

**Got some more info if it helps jog anyones memory.....

My mum surname Barham said that she used to live on the A Block on the ground floor facing the school.
My mums nan Helen Boon lived on the other end on Block C (if you walked across the square there was the washroom area) She used to be a cook in pages walk school.
there was a toilet area that needed to be kept clear at all times.
There was a laundry room where everyone had to share it.
They used a gas light for electricity.
4 people per landing.

Anyone remember them? have any pictures?

Thanks,

Vossy
21-08-2009, 8:06 PM
Hello TrishiaVictoria

I have just spoken to my Mum. She says the name Boon is familiar but can't actually remember your family. C block was in the same square as A block..opposite the school. The blocks opposite the baths were Q block etc. These are the ones in the photo ( presumably we are talking about the same photo)

Yes we did use to have 4 families on each landing all sharing two sinks and two toilets. There was no electricity in the flats and they were lit by gas lamps. There was electricity on the landings though.

I will try to send you copies of the tenancy agreements and rules, If you send a private message to me with your e mail address.

Vossy

Peterpoos
26-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Here is a link to a picture showing the entrance arches for the above:-
landmark.lambeth.gov.uk/display_page.asp?section=landmark_fullsize&id=9452

Regards
peter

Moderator's Note.
The Link given has been edited as commercial . Please copy and paste the above into google to find the picture.
It is worth the effort if you have Lambeth relatives. ;)

Please read the
Acceptable User Policy (AUP) (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/announcement.php?f=402)

Vossy
27-08-2009, 7:05 PM
Hello

The previous photo is the Vauxhall Guinness block not Bermondsey or Snowsfields. A great photo though.

Vossy

Raptor
09-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Hi Vossy,

My Nan lived in guiness buildings, Pages Walk. No.356
Her name was Liz Breadmore, I would go up there every day after school for tea and buiscuits, until the buildings were demolished and my Nan was rehoused in Flats in Pages walk.
I would love a photograph of the buldings and the Tenancy agreement would be much appreciated.
I have also a Photograph of the Buildings at the V.E Day Celebrations, it shows many of the people that lived in Guiness Buildings, including my Nan who is looking out of her window and my sister who is sitting in front of the group.
I lived in Harold estate for many years No.57, below us were the Buttons, and below them was old man Stacey (Caretaker)
Never did get on with him...but then not many people did?|wave|

Vossy
10-09-2009, 7:04 PM
Hello Raptor

If you send me a private message with your e mail address I will send the photo and copy rules/tenancy agreement. I would love to see your photo to see if my Nan, Grandad and Mum are in it.
Ive just spoken to my Mum and she doesn't remember your Nan unfortunately. I remember Mr Stacey ( a Fabio Capella lookalike!!!). As you say he wasn't universally liked. By co-incidence I have been friends with his grandaughters since we were little kids. Do you remember his daughter Sylvie?
Look forward to hearing from you.

Vossy

Raptor
14-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks Vossy I think I'm a generation out of step some where however I do rememeber Lester Stacey, he would be about my age almost 60.

Mike
Yes i think you are one generation behind Vossy.
There was Lester Stacey the dad and Lester Stacey his son whom you knew, he also had a younger brother Brian Stacey.

Juliaonabender
03-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Hi Vossy-I've just started trying to locate the Guinness Buildings in Bermondsey bordering on Southwark. My Mum (who is 87) thinks they might have been called the Snowsfields. She lived in a pub nearby called the Valentine & Orson in Long Lane-Bermondsey. Does this sound like the correct Guinness buildings near her pub. Her first love was Benny Street and her best friend was Alice Bowling? Please let me know if I'm on the right track?
Cheers Julia

QueSera
03-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Hi Vossy-I've just started trying to locate the Guinness Buildings in Bermondsey bordering on Southwark. My Mum (who is 87) thinks they might have been called the Snowsfields. She lived in a pub nearby called the Valentine & Orson in Long Lane-Bermondsey. Does this sound like the correct Guinness buildings near her pub. Her first love was Benny Street and her best friend was Alice Bowling? Please let me know if I'm on the right track?
Cheers Julia

Hi Julia,
The Valentine is now closed, but the replacement pub building is still standing on the corner of Long Lane & Weston Street. This is only 5 minutes walk from the Guinness Trust buildings in Snowsfields.

deadpubs.co.uk
/LondonPubs/Bermondsey/ValentineOrson.shtml

BrendaE
04-01-2010, 3:36 AM
Cheers Julia

Hallo Julia,

My father was born in Guinness Buildings, Snowsfield. Last year, some very kind people (strangers) living or working in the area sent me photographs of the Buildings. If you would like me to email them to you, please let me know.

Brenda

greyson
07-01-2010, 10:49 AM
hi im new to this but i also had family that lived in snowfields my great grandmother and g grandfather lived in guinness buildings their name was emma & samuel greyson my g grandmothers maiden name was compton

QueSera
07-01-2010, 1:20 PM
Hi Julia,

deadpubs.co.uk
/LondonPubs/Bermondsey/ValentineOrson.shtml

Hi Mutley,

Dead pubs a "commerical site"? News to me, what are they selling?

Juliaonabender
10-01-2010, 8:54 PM
Hi Brenda
Thank you very much for your kind offer of photos of the Snowfields Guiness buildings, I would appreciate that alot. Was your father living there at the end of the 1940's or is he a lot younger -as I'm not aware of how long these buildings lasted for and whether they're still around now?
Thanks
Julia

QueSera
11-01-2010, 8:04 AM
Hi Brenda
Thank you very much for your kind offer of photos of the Snowfields Guiness buildings, I would appreciate that alot. Was your father living there at the end of the 1940's or is he a lot younger -as I'm not aware of how long these buildings lasted for and whether they're still around now?
Thanks
Julia

The Guinness Trust estate in Snowsfields was built in 1896 and is still there today. It will probably be covered by a conservation order and the immediate area is currently undergoing an expensive "facelift".

Brendan Barrett
14-01-2010, 8:45 PM
Does anyone got any photos of the silver jubelee party guinness trust building kennington park road or any commitee photos of days out with the children

Brendan Barrett
14-01-2010, 8:49 PM
Hello anybody who lived at guinness trust Kennington pk rd from 1970-1990

Mutley
14-01-2010, 9:57 PM
If they are still alive PLEASE do not mention names on the forum.
Send Brendan a PM.

Woodsy
23-02-2010, 7:07 PM
Hi, I am looking for any info about my great grandfather Joseph Newman, his wife Winifred, sons John A W, Victor Augustus Shirley (my grandfather), Sarah J, Maud and Lilian Kate, all living in Snowsfields Guiness Trust buildings Bermondsey (No 217) in 1901. Joseph was employed in the leather industry. In 1901 he was aged 40 and Winifred was 28 so Maud and Lilian were obviously not hers. I would be grateful for any help.

Adstonejill
24-02-2010, 5:24 PM
My grandparents used to live in Hastings Buiildings in Swan Mead, just around the corner. We used to visit from Dorset and go and play in the playground round the corner in Leroy Street which is still there according to Google Maps. You probably played there at the same time!

Mutley
01-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Hi, I am looking for any info about my great grandfather Joseph Newman, his wife Winifred, sons John A W, Victor Augustus Shirley (my grandfather), Sarah J, Maud and Lilian Kate, all living in Snowsfields Guiness Trust buildings Bermondsey (No 217) in 1901. Joseph was employed in the leather industry. In 1901 he was aged 40 and Winifred was 28 so Maud and Lilian were obviously not hers. I would be grateful for any help.

Hello Woodsy and welcome to the forum.

Why don't you start a new thread on the London forum telling the members all you do know, birth dates and places are useful, you may get some replies that will help you.

Good Luck

Woodsy
02-03-2010, 9:32 AM
Hello Woodsy and welcome to the forum.

Why don't you start a new thread on the London forum telling the members all you do know, birth dates and places are useful, you may get some replies that will help you.

Good Luck

Thanks for your suggestion, I have now done this.

Vossy
15-03-2010, 8:41 PM
I have got a book called Bermondsey in War 1939-1945 by James D Stewart Librarian of Bermondsey which describes the bomb which hit Guinness Buildings.........." the night of 15th September 1941.. This raid was distinguished by the exclusive use of high explosive bombs with only a casual scattering of incendiaries....the most unfortunate happening of the night was the destruction of L Block of the high Guinness Buildings in Pages Walk, resulting in 18 persons being killed and 25 injured. In this case also, fire added greatly to the difficult task of rescuing the injured and recovering the dead. The difficulty of the work is shown by the fact that a baby trapped under the wreckage was saved alive after three days of effort".

My Mum says that the baby was actually blown into a fireplace on one of the exposed upper floors with no walls and a floor that was almost hanging off the building.

Vossy

Mutley
15-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Part of my childhood is the memory of fireplaces in the sky. ;)

V Germain
12-04-2010, 12:57 PM
My father's family, brothers, sisters, aunts etc lots lived in Guinness Bldgs Pages Walk, the name was GERMAIN, My dads aunt together with her husband and baby children were all killed on 11 September 1940 in No. 330 (don't know the block) their names was Gills.
Many of them went to Pages Walk school.
My dad is still with us, coming up to 94.

Banks
22-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Hello Vossy & others,

Just come across this thread as researching my family history. Below are my relatives in the 1901 and 1911 census. James Banks the elder died and Florence re-married Donald Vass.

Would anyone perhaps know of these families both address are in the Guinness Buildings, Pages Walk.

Vossy I would like a copy of the photograph of the old Victorian block in Pages Walk, i can forward you my email.

1901 Census: No.15 Guinness Trust Buildings, Bermondsay.
James Banks Head 46 Coffin Maker Born London Walworth
Florence Banks Wife 35 London Bermondsay
James Banks Son 10 London Rotherhithe
Sidney Banks Son 8 London Rotherhithe
Joseph Banks Son 6 London Rotherhithe
Donald Banks Son 3 London Bermondsay

1911 Census: 47 Guinness Buildings, Pages Walk, London SE - 3 Rooms
Donald Vass Head 44 Born Camberwell London
Present marriage 5yrs, 2 children born alive, 1still living, 1 died
Florence Vass Wife 44 Bermondsay London
Florence Vass Daughter 2 Bermondsay London
James Banks Son in Law 20 Cabinet Maker Bermondsay London
Joseph Banks Son in Law 16 Van Boy Bermondsay London
Donald Banks Son in Law 13 School Bermondsay London
Stanley Banks Son in Law 9 School Bermondsay London

Regards.

Vossy
22-06-2010, 6:22 PM
If you send me a private message with your e mail address I will send it.

Vossy

Vossy
22-06-2010, 6:39 PM
I have looked up the lists of people killed in the blitz. There is a brilliant book in the local studies section of the Harvard library at the Borough ( London Borough of Southwark).
On 15/09/1941 39 High explosive bombs landed on Bermondsey. 11 did not explode.
The people killed that night in Guinness Buildings Pages Walk are listed as:
Eliza Annie BARKER (86) No 320
Frederick(28), Florenve(22),Frederick (3), David (18m) CLOWSEY No 331
Henry Charles EMBERSON (19). No 334 He left the shelter to make tea nad never returned.
William John (38) Mary Ann (34), William John (5), Julie (4m), GILL No 330
George PERKINS (80) No 322
Florence Maud ST CLARE (38) No 323
Thomas YOUNG (79) No 66

I expect your Dad will remember my granddad George Horton, the porter in the buildings.

Regards

Vossy

Adstonejill
23-06-2010, 8:36 AM
My Uncle JAMES MASON kept a diary through the war - he was a fire watcher for some of the time and noted the following -
1940 – Living 36 Worthing Buildings, Swan Mead, London SE1
6th Aug –Air raid warnings over two days.
Raids nearly every day in August and September.
8th Sept – Window blown out by bomb.
11th Sept – Raids and guns [ack ack]
15th Sept –Guinness Buildings, two shops Tower Bridge Road bombed
16th Sept – Roof of school.
4a.m. Saturday 21st Sept – Lost everything except our lives - Worthing Buildiings bombed.
16th November – Went to ruins for first time. Found Bible and Bank Book.

That wasn't a lot to show for their lives, but they also found a framed photo of my Grandparents, which I still have, complete with bomb damage marks.

Banks
23-06-2010, 9:39 AM
Hi Vossy, it won't let me send you a private message. It say the sender inbox is full and until there is space for the message it cannot be delivered!

Malcolm

Vossy
23-06-2010, 6:30 PM
Malcolm

Its clear now

Vossy

BabsMcG
24-06-2010, 1:24 PM
Hi new to the forum I have been reading this thread with great interest. I have certs that show my relatives living at no91 Guinness Buildings Pages Walk in 1904 (Edward Priestman and Alice Selina Priestman) And then at no 29 When Selina my Great Grandmother died in 1927.

In 1901 Edward was a tea chest cooper, in 1904 a box maker, and 1927 a dental mechanic!

Was fascinated with the building picture posted. Thanks to all for answering a lot of questions

Barbara

malcolm99
24-06-2010, 4:36 PM
That wasn't a lot to show for their lives, but they also found a framed photo of my Grandparents, which I still have, complete with bomb damage marks.

How moving....

Incredible really though as well, because they still had their lives!

I was chatting to my Dad last Saturday and he was fire-watching just down the road on the Old Kent Road at exactly the same time.

malcolm99

V Germain
28-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Unfortunately my Dad never lived in Pages Walk buildings, but two of his sisters and his brother were born there, they seemed to move around a lot within the buildings, 1911 they were in 33, but before that they lived 221-226 1901 (dont understand the numbering as the next flat was 222); 158 1902-1907 and 33 1907-c1914. His Uncle, Thomas Germain lived in 378 for a long time and Thomas' son Frederick lived in 422 and 161 and of course the Gills lived and died in 330.
The Germains also lived Weston Street; Alfreton Street; Potier Street, Paragon Buildings etc

BabsMcG
08-07-2010, 8:52 AM
A friend of mine collects postcards and she has a number of cards sent to Guinness Building Columba Road, and also London E2, which would this have been? I am trying to find out the name of the family. Barbara

Peter Goodey
08-07-2010, 9:26 AM
which would this have been?

I'm not sure what the question means but this would have been Columbia Road, E2

The postcode of the Guinness Trust in Columbia Road is E2 7QB which you can use on Multimap to call up a birds eye view.

In the 1901 census address search, these would presumably be the ones described as "Model Dwellings" in Columbia Road.

BabsMcG
08-07-2010, 6:13 PM
Thanks Peter, sorry I did not mean to write in Gobbledygook. I knew there were a number of Guinness Buildings, just wondered which the cards would refer to. Hoping to get some more info to share with this thread assuming its historical.

dave6023
04-12-2010, 12:35 PM

Hi Hannah
I appear to have a grand uncle, John Hoare, who lived there in 1901 (Block L, No 292) with his 4 year old son Henry. There is no mention of his wife, though he is shown as married. His occupation is shown as a Railway Porter.

Regards
Dave

V Germain
05-12-2010, 2:40 PM
I have looked up the lists of people killed in the blitz. There is a brilliant book in the local studies section of the Harvard library at the Borough ( London Borough of Southwark).
On 15/09/1941 39 High explosive bombs landed on Bermondsey. 11 did not explode.
The people killed that night in Guinness Buildings Pages Walk are listed as:
William John (38) Mary Ann (34), William John (5), Julie (4m), GILL No 330
Regards

Vossy

The book is a bit erroneous with the names of the GILL family so I give them here in case anyone is researching them - the Name was GILLS Wm J 38 Mary A 34 is OK but William John (5) died a couple of months later, Julie is really JULIA and two other children, Thomas H 1939 and Mary E 1938 (death registered as Marie) also died that night.

satanicsons
05-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Iam a newby I am looking for information on my wifes family who lived in Guinness Buildings, Pages Walk. We have a block No of 53C and the name is Brown.Her mother had a son Anthony in 1960 that died early with chest problems so we are told. She then had a daughter in 1963 that was taken into care. Her brother also had a son at this address in 1965. We have found the mother but she is not prepared to talk. So we are missing a few people if anyone can help.

Geoffers
06-12-2010, 8:43 AM
Welcome to the B-G forums

Iam a newby I am looking for information on my wifes family who lived in Guinness Buildings, Pages Walk. We have a block No of 53C and the name is Brown. Her mother had a son Anthony in 1960 that died early with chest problems so we are told.She then had a daughter in 1963 that was taken into care. Her brother also had a son at this address in 1965. We have found the mother but she is not prepared to talk. So we are missing a few people if anyone can help.

Would anyone able to assist please bear in my the forums' Acceptable user Policy. If you can help with information which relates to people who may be living, please reply to this query by private message or e-mail.

In looking for this family and other possible births/marriages/deaths, you will need to use the General Register Office (GRO) index. The index is available online via many pay-per-view sites and also at record offices. The index provides limited information from which copies of certificates (containing more detail) may be ordered.

If the mother's birth certificate can be identified, you would get her parents' details - can you then trace what happened to the parents? Did they have any other children who can be traced? Did the parents leave wills in which they mention grandchildren?

val dallison
29-03-2013, 9:30 PM
I'm researching family history and come across the post about guiness buildings in London. The relative that i have found is Charles Gough, who would have been my great grand uncle. His wife was Sarah, son John, daughter Elizabeth, son William, son James, son Charles H and daughter Caroline. The family were originally from Exeter, i have found from census records that in 1891 some of the family were living in Pages Walk.
Caroline has shown to have lived at 407 Guiness buildings up to 1931(possibly longer).

If anyone has any information i would be grateful to hear about it .

Val

bob duncan
25-05-2013, 11:34 AM
further to your description. I lived in the fulham palace road flats for 27 years, being born there at the end of the war. My memory of them was, there were 4 main blocks and 3 smaller blocks, on the ground floor landing where we lived there were 5 flats, 4 three roomed and 1 one roomed, as we were a large family, we had a 3 room and the 1 room. On the landing there was a washroom with boiler and mangle, a seperate sink with cold water tap located outside the washroom, and 2 toilets. The flats were lit by gas, the gas point for cooker and fire was in the larger room which served as lounge / kitchen, the 2 smaller rooms were bedrooms. The bath facilities were as you describe, men and boys twice a week. Also a clubhouse where I remember having boxing lessons! I think electricity was installed about 1957/60, when a sink with water was plumbed into the main room, along with a small over sink gas water heater, much later the washroom was converted into a bathroom, to be shared between the families on allotted days.
Thats how it was in those days, and it must be said, much better conditions than a lot of people lived in.

Lucy Library
23-05-2014, 2:04 PM
Hi, I have recently visited Bermondsey & have found this thread on the web. I never knew my grandfather, George Rogers (aka Gerald or Jock), but have been told he worked for the Guinness Trust when he came out of the army in the 1920s. He had been a fencing and small arms instructor based in Hythe in Kent but took up the Guinness Trust post in Bermondsey. I have photos of him fencing on top of a building surrounded by chain-link fencing with my aunt (in WWII uniform) watching, and wondered if this was on top of the Guinness Trust flats. I also have photos of George running a boys' camp somewhere in the countryside, teaching boys to shoot etc (would this be allowed now?). I wondered if anyone could remember relatives taking part in these activities and could tell me what George's job was. The photos must stem from the 1930s and 1940s. George emigrated to Australia after WWII.
Any info would be useful, many thanks, LL

lucyluchad
18-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Hi to you all,
Wow, what an amazing forum. a wealth of knowledge and history.
My Gt gran was living in this building in 1911 with her 2 sons, she also had 3 daughters, but due to my gt grandfathers death in 1911 they went to stay with other family members which i have found out on various 1911 census.
I would really like some pics/info/rules etc, so i can include in my research.
Mrs Maria Brice was living at 26B Block, Guinness buildings, Brandon street, Walworth.
Many Thanks
Kind Regards
Lucy :)

Waitabit
18-09-2014, 9:57 PM
Lucy, if you google 'Bermondsey photos' you should come up with a wealth of photos for the area.

DawnAtGuinness
01-12-2014, 3:54 PM
Hi all. The Guinness Partnership (formally known as The Guinness Trust) is 125 years old next year and we're collecting stories/memories/photos of people who have lived in our homes. Please email 125years@guinness.org.uk if you'd be willing to share your stories with us. More information can be found on our website: www.guinnesspartnership.com

Thanks, Dawn

DawnAtGuinness
03-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Hi Phil,

Did you manage to track down the right Guinness buildings? I suspect it was either Snowsfields or Pages Walk developments that you were probably referring too. If not, I might be able to help with some information.

The Guinness Partnership (formally known as The Guinness Trust) is 125 years old next year and we're collecting stories/memories of people and their relatives who have lived in our homes. Please email 125years@guinness.org.uk if you'd be willing to share your stories with us or if I can help you further.

Kind regards, Dawn

DawnAtGuinness
03-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Hi to you all,
Wow, what an amazing forum. a wealth of knowledge and history.
My Gt gran was living in this building in 1911 with her 2 sons, she also had 3 daughters, but due to my gt grandfathers death in 1911 they went to stay with other family members which i have found out on various 1911 census.
I would really like some pics/info/rules etc, so i can include in my research.
Mrs Maria Brice was living at 26B Block, Guinness buildings, Brandon street, Walworth.
Many Thanks
Kind Regards
Lucy :)

Hi Lucy, here's some information about the Guinness Trust archives, which include Brandon Street:

The archives of The Guinness Trust dating back to 1889 are held at London Metropolitan Archives (LMA) the pan London and City archives managed by the City of London Corporation. They are currently being catalogued as part of a funded project funded by The Guinness Partnership. The archives (collection reference LMA/4656) is available for consultation in London Metropolitan Archives' Archive Study Area by prior appointment until the end of 2014. From mid-January 2015 full descriptions will be available on LMA's online catalogue and available to order to researchers registered with a valid History Card.

Sources for family history include registers of tenants for the following specific London estates only: Brandon Street, Walworth; Draycott Avenue, Chelsea; Fulham Palace Road, Hammersmith; and Lever Street, Finsbury. There are is also a volume listing employees and details of service (1891-1968). Note most of these volumes are subject to closures under current data protection legislation. Photographs of the estates and some staff are held and are being digitised. For further details please enquire with LMA.

For all enquiries please contact LMA enquiries 0207 332 3820 email ask.lma@cityoflondon.gov.uk. For LMA's paid family history research service and further details please visit http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/lma.

The Guinness Partnership (formally known as The Guinness Trust) is 125 years old next year and we're collecting stories/memories of people and their relatives who have lived in our homes. Please email 125years@guinness.org.uk if you'd be willing to share your stories with us or if I can help you further.

Kind regards, Dawn

jen.thorley
08-04-2015, 5:05 PM
Hello,

Just wanted to let everyone here know that we have just published many photos, documents and the history of The Guinness Partnership in a new online archive at www.history.guinnesspartnership.com. The website allows you to find out about individual estates across England, learn about Guinness's origins and key points in its history and share your stories of Guinness too. We'll be adding more of our estates onto the map to celebrate the 125th anniversary of Guinness so do take a look, share your story and let us know what you'd like to see.

Thanks,

Jen, Digital Media Manager, The Guinness Partnership

Helen Brown.
26-04-2015, 1:38 PM
Hi Vossy, I lived at 53c as a child does that show up on your photograph please. Regards Helen

Helen Brown.
26-04-2015, 1:45 PM
William, Leonard and Marie Brown. Guinness Trust Buildings, Page Walk. or surrounding area in Bermondsey. Last address was at 53C GTB. Anyone help ?