PDA

View Full Version : New Virus

Mutley
29-11-2006, 11:33 PM
I have just received this email from a friend. Don't know if it is serious but...

>> You may receive an apparently harmless email with a Power Point
>presentation "Life is beautiful"
>>
>> If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE FILE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, and delete it immediately. If you open this file, a message will appear on
your screen saying: "It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful." Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the person who sent it to you will gain access to your name, e-mail and password.
>>
>> This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon.
>AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the anti virus software's
>are not capable of destroying it. The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself "life owner ."
>> Please Be Extremely Careful especially if using internet mail such as
>Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on This information arrived this morning
>direct from both Microsoft and Norton.
>>

Mutley
29-11-2006, 11:41 PM
I've just googled re the above and found it is a hoax.

However, I will leave the thread in case there are other idiots, like me, that had not heard of it.

Sorry folks. :o
Mutley

Geoff Rogers
30-11-2006, 5:35 PM
From McAfee's website.
Discovered 1/15/2002

We are advising users who receive the email to delete it and DO NOT pass it on as this is how an email HOAX propagates.

Geoff Rogers

Davran
30-11-2006, 5:47 PM
That one has been going round for a very long time.

Dennis Harker
30-11-2006, 7:07 PM
There is another one which seems to rear its head just before each Christmas (since 2003 at least) which has an attachment purporting to be Jamie Oliver's Cookbook 2.

The attachment does not contain a virus but is definitely not Cookbook 2. Jamie Oliver's company has denounced it as a collection of recipes from other publications of his.

Having said that, whilst it is a hoax by title, it still contains a good number of useful looking recipes. I just haven't tried any yet!!

So, if you receive it then you will have some new recipes but it won't be Jamie's Cookbook 2 which hasn't been issued yet. Not sure it's even been compiled.