PDA

View Full Version : Hedley family - who were they?

samhuzz
18-11-2006, 7:17 PM
Hello

I am trying to find the family of Mary Ann Hedley who was born around 1872 in Newcastle upon Tyne. Her brother was Joseph Hedley and he was born in North Shields. However, I can't find any trace of them on earlier censuses. Could anyone help? I'm using ancestry, so if anyone has access to any other censuses, I would appreciate a look up.

Thanks

Samantha

Mutley
18-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi Sam,
I'm using Ancestry too and in 1881 there is a Mary Ann Headley born 1872 in Newcastle with mother Mary, brother William and sister Ann.
Class: RG11; Piece: 5065; Folio: 4; Page: 2; Line: ; GSU roll: 1342222.
You don't give Joseph's age and he is not there then

In 1891 there are 2 Mary Ann Hedley's born Newcastle 1872 and several other nearby's. Also several births of that name and age.

What years are you looking for exactly Sam?

Regards Mutley

samhuzz
19-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Hi Mutley

Thanks for answering. Mary was born in about 1869 and she is on the 1901 census as Mary Selvidge living with Henry Hussey in Acton, Middlesex. On that census she is down as being born in Newcastle. Joseph is staying with Henry's relatives, the Thornbacks, who lived two streets away. I know that this is the right Mary as I have a birth certificate for Henry and Mary's son in 1901 (June) and they are still living in the same house as in the census. Joseph's occupation is a seaman.

Hope this makes sense.

Sam

Mutley
20-11-2006, 6:41 PM
Sorry Sam, I am a bit confused (not difficult to do that :D )

Was Hedley her maiden name and did she marry a Selvidge prior to Henry Hussey?

Mutley

samhuzz
20-11-2006, 7:10 PM
Hi Mutley,

Yes thats right. She married a Selvidge in Northumberland and then lived with Henry Hussey. She married Henry in 1904.

Thanks

Samantha