PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Batt. Lancashire Fusiliers/ King's Own Royal Lancs.

maug
13-11-2006, 1:55 AM
I would like to find out where the Lancashire Fusiliers and Kings Own Royal Lancs served in France during WW1. My father was in these regiments and I would love to know where he fought. Can anyone help, please, with information on this.

Geoffers
13-11-2006, 8:08 AM
You asked the same question on the 9th Nov
http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=88451#post88451
which brought two replies, were these of no use?

Geoffers

Terry Reeves
13-11-2006, 4:44 PM
The 3rd (Reserve) Battalion of the Lancashire Fusliers were at Bury on 4.8.14. and on 8.8.14 moved to Hull. In November 1916 there moved to Withernsea where they remained for the rest of the war as part of the Humber Garrison.

The 3rd (Reserve) Battalion KORL, was at Lancaster on 4.8.18 and briefly moved to Saltash. before moving again to Sunderland. From 1915 to 1917 it was at Plymouth. By November 1917 it was at Harwich where it remained as part of the Harwich Garrison.

Terry Reeves

maug
14-11-2006, 2:10 AM
I don't think my Dad was there as he was wounded in France and also gassed which resulted in him dying in 1931. I have his discharge No. and army number. He was in a hospital in England when wounded as we had a photo of him in Hospital Blues.He had one wound stripe, Blue. His discharge was under para. 392(XV1)KR.
Thank you for your help. I searched the given refs but was unable to come up with the places in which he actually served. From the names he seems to have been in two different regiments.

Terry Reeves
14-11-2006, 7:16 PM
The paragraph of King's Regulations you refer to is "no longer fit for military service". His blue stripe indicates one years overseas service. This was worn on the right lower sleeve. The wound stripe was worn on the left lower sleeve.

As you have his regimental number you can consult the on-line medal card index at the National Archive website and view his card for a small fee. This will give his medal entitlement and also a reference number to the actual medal roll. The medal roll will tell you what battalion he was serving in. It is likely that he also was entitled to the Silver War Badge because of the circumstances of his discharge. This will be in a different roll, again the roll reference number will be annotated on the medal index card. This will give you the date of his enlistment and discharge. You will have to make a personal visit to the NA to see the actual rolls.

Once you have the battalion number, the next step is to look at the unit war diary for the period.

Terry Reeves